RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,699
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 845
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old January 7 2011, 10:06 PM   #3181
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

If Villa goes down I'll be happy, if Chelsea doesn't make it into the CL also; if Liverpool goes down I think I'll fucking "cum", seriously.
Old January 8 2011, 07:18 AM   #3182
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Blatter may of just put the nail in the coffin for the 2022 WC...

I expect it will be held in the winter,’ said Blatter, in Doha for the Asian Cup
As you expect the reception to the news has been lukewarm at best..its been utter shite let face it

The major leagues and clubs are NOT going to go for it lets face it, FIFA won't dare ban the biggest Euro nations France, Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, England, Holland when we say erm NO.

Not to say am sure most leagues in the world are open at such times ?

I hope they all refuse to take part in the 2022 World Cup.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 08:32 AM   #3183
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Or they could send a team of non-EPL/Bundesliga/Primera División/Seria A/etc players, that would be a nice "fuck you" too.
Old January 8 2011, 09:22 AM   #3184
Jax
Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Or they could send a team of non-EPL/Bundesliga/Primera División/Seria A/etc players, that would be a nice "fuck you" too.
(Mike Bassett England manager movie) We can send Benson & Hedges

If you don't know what I mean by that quote you so need to see that movie.

Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Old January 8 2011, 10:52 AM   #3185
StolenThunder
Poster

Ace movie.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2011, 03:26 PM   #3186
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Hodgson gone. Good old Liverpool fans, so loyal.

Roger, who are you going to play in Europe next season without Villa!?

As I type Leeds are 1-0 up at the Emirates. Good game too - let's hope they win for once (I'd like our rivals going on distracting, draining cup runs).
Old January 8 2011, 03:40 PM   #3187
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Oops, 1-1 as I write.

Good job, I couldn't want Leeds to win under any circumstances, even if they were playing Forest!
Old January 8 2011, 04:17 PM   #3188
Roger Wilco
Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
Roger, who are you going to play in Europe next season without Villa!?
Leeds would be cool.
Old January 9 2011, 06:46 PM   #3189
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Haha believe me you don't want them!

Replays for Cardiff and Leeds, losses for Norwich and QPR (and Mackie out for the season to boot) and a win for the Jacks, Reading and Watford. Not too bad. I could have done without playing Stoke again, let alone an away trip to Wolves/Doncaster, but what the hell - I love the Cup!
Old January 9 2011, 06:51 PM   #3190
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Pretty good FA Cup weekend, quite a few upsets.

First off I'd like to say that I think Ian Holloway is a prat. I know a lot of people think he's "refreshing" but whenever he opens his mouth it's just drivel.

Anyway after dispatching the Tangerines the mighty Saints have Man Utd in the fourth round. Looking forward to it, we've had some good matches in the past and hopefully this one will echo those.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2011, 01:53 AM   #3191
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Gutted to have missed the Burton game yesterday, usually go if Derby aren't playing.

Crawley away tonight, and then Torquay away in the next round if we make it though. Two potential banana skins!
Old January 10 2011, 05:57 AM   #3192
Jax
Admiral

Forest vs. West Ham...not bad though was hoping for a bigger club or even a local derby with Notts County or Derby County. Also would of prefered a home tie but West Ham might play a weaker side due to relegation worries so we got a chance at least.

Watched the Liverpool/Utd match earlier and it was a soft penatly but that happens on halfway line its a freekick. Gerrard deserved his red card stupid challenge lucky he didn't make contact higher up on Carrick or his leg would of been broken into a few pieces. Martin Kelly (RB/CB) for Liverpool caught my eye and his gaffe praised him too, was a good performance from the 20 year old English lad...

and England could do with a promising right back over the inept Glen Johnson who apparantly slagged off Paul Merson online for having drink/gambling issues...Merson faced his demons head on and gave 100% every week, he didn't throw a hissy fit online and Paul Merson was right when he said you've been crap all season.

Last edited by Jax; January 10 2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old January 10 2011, 10:33 AM   #3193
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Glen Johnson is sh1te fullstop. It's a sure sign of how desperate we are in the RB position that he even gets anywhere near the England squad.

To me, he's a great example of why Liverpool, and England, have struggled of late, because if Johnson's good enough for either respective first team then it's time to worry.
Old January 10 2011, 11:03 AM   #3194
Starkers
Admiral

Crawley away then Torquay away (assuming we beat Crawley!) Yeah two huge banana skins waiting for us, but also a great chance to make the fifth round at least, be nice to have a cup run, really lifts the fans and the players!

Be interesting to see what Dalglish does with Liverpool now, obviously the fans have forgotten how dire things had got before he left the first time; David Speedie anyone? Ronny Rosenthal? Dalglish did well at Blackburn, but lets face it he had the money to do well, the money to just buy players so the competition couldn't (take Shearer in their promotion season, no not Alan, the Scottish one whose first name escapes me!) His tenure at Newcastle was a trifle dull as I recall.

I don't understand how players end up in certain positions sometimes. Glen Johnson surely should be a winger, good going forward, terrible defending! I just don't understand how he ended up being regarded as a full back? I guess it was the same with Bale!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2011, 11:11 AM   #3195
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Not surprisingly they were making a similar observation about Johnson on 5Live before the match yesterday. Thing is though, I don't think he's currently good enough to play as a winger for Liverpool or England either. The sad thing is that he might actually be our best option at RB at the moment. Micah Richards has seriously gone off the boil of late, and that's about it, unless we start looking to the youngsters, which we probably should do. Given how well Adam Johnson's settled into the team, could be worth at least having a look at David Wheater in the role.

Crawley and (hopefully) Torquay, will be interesting. We've a fairly poor record against lower league sides in the cups in recent years, however, that's due in part to our woeful confidence at the time of those games (usually amidst a relegation battle). This time around, the confidence should be ok. Crawley have aspirations for climbing the league, hopefully that'll translate into them trying to play football tonight. If they do then I fancy our chances.

Dalglish, I can't see being anything other than a short-term interim fix. I suspect that they'll bring in someone on a more permanent basis during the summer, the interesting thing will be who that might be.