Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old December 22 2010, 10:21 PM   #3151
MikeH92467
Vice Admiral

View MikeH92467's Twitter Profile
Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

The Sun (consider the source) reports that the Glazers are ready to sell ManU to the Qatar royal family and double their money in the process. Definitely good news for Tampa Bay Buccaneers' fans who are more than ready for the Glazers to start spending money on this side of the pond...especially since the team is finally heading in the right direction and could really benefit from a couple of good free agent pickups/trades.
MikeH92467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2010, 10:36 PM   #3152
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Three points at last! And even Bellamy scored. Verily, it must be Christmas. Or perhaps not - today was the first time Cardiff have won on Boxing Day in 11 years! Sadly I couldn't go, as there were no trains or buses running. I've never known such a thing to happen. It's the first time since about February I've had to use Soccer Saturday to keep track of a City home game. Very strange!

All these postponements are going to cause problems very soon - the likes of Scunthorpe and Blackpool will still be playing in July if the cold snap keeps up. At least the lower leagues can play on FA Cup weekdays - Championship and Premiership sides are less likely to have those days off (if they're lucky).
Old December 29 2010, 09:20 PM   #3153
Jax
Admiral

1-0 FOREST

1-1 (BOO)

2-1 FOREST

30 mins gone and this Forest/Derby game is looking a real cracker...Come on Reds lets get a 3rd
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2010, 01:48 AM   #3154
Jax
Admiral

Nottingham Forest 5-2 Derby County

Oh its good to be a Forest fan today
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30 2010, 10:13 PM   #3155
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I swear last time I looked at the table Derby were 4th what the hell's gone wrong there? Now it's those swines Leeds... if our form was better I'd look forward to their visit to Cardiff on Tuesday, but instead I'm dreading it.

Though we may have signed Jonathan Woodgate by then!
Old December 31 2010, 12:10 AM   #3156
Starkers
Admiral

Aw crap...what more is there to see. Don't know what's happened to us, for a few weeks we were playing well but losing and now we seem to have slipped over into playing badly and losing. Nige seems to be spitting bullets!

Losing is acceptable, losing like that...

I still figure Davies will be gone before Nigel.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3 2011, 11:18 AM   #3157
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Gotta give managers credit sometimes - we're crying out for new defenders, especially on the left and in the middle, so who have our Malaysian overlords reached into their pockets to buy for us?

Jon 'The Beast' Parkin! I hope he plays against Leeds tomorrow, but surely we needed the defenders more urgently? Blake, Gypeses and Riggott are not up to scratch and Naylor is just an embarrassment! I will concede that Mark Hudson has been much better this season than last. He's still average, but he's standing up as club captain and making key tackles and blocks a lot more.

Parkin's signing does raise questions about Bothroyd's future - contract's up in the summer and unfortunately if needs be we will have to cash in. At least we might send Andy Keogh back to Wolves now though - I like the guy but Jones has not played him properly all season and his goal tally of 2 reflects that. I'd tip my hat to him if he leaves though - 2 goals, both in injury time, a winner vs Milwall and an equaliser vs Preston. Vital goals and no mistake!

So who would you guys like to see your clubs sign in the window?
Old January 4 2011, 12:36 PM   #3158
Starkers
Admiral

Well apparently Nige has hopes of signing three players, a defender, midfielder and a striker. My personal preferences for the type of player would be thus:

Defender, a mobile centre back who could play right back if needed. One old Cardiff boy is in the frame apparently, Glenn Loovens.

Midfielder, we need someone younger than Robbie Savage but older than James Bailey to give us a bit more cover at defensive midfield

Striker, someone with pace but who's also comfortable playing up front as a lone striker. Shame Luke Moore didn't want to come back, kinda wish we could have made a permanant move for him.
Old January 4 2011, 06:47 PM   #3159
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Glenn Loovens, mobile?
Old January 4 2011, 11:32 PM   #3160
Starkers
Admiral

I'm guessing not?
Old January 5 2011, 02:04 PM   #3161
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Not when he was playing at Ninian Park every other week that's for sure!

We played Leeds off the pitch last night. Shame we couldn't have upped the goal difference, but they have their keeper to thank for that. And fair play, Snodgrass' equaliser was lovely. Big win for City though!

Also, don't let the media fawning fool you: Leeds are a dirty side. They played next to no football and had the ref on their side all night. The only foul we could have got from them would have been if their defender had shot Bellamy in the box. Outrageously poor officiating and filthy tactics.
Old January 5 2011, 02:57 PM   #3162
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Incoming loan signing imminent apparently.

I suspect that we'll not see any permanent inwards activity during this window, which is ridiculous. GSE have constantly said that there will only be investment for players when the time is right. We're into the new year and we're 3 points off the playoffs in what is the most open Championships in many a year. If the time isn't right now then it likely never will be.

4 points from the last 2 games, things getting back on track now, especially with Porter, Davies and Addison back from injury.

Re the Forest game, we've had a few of those performances this season, as luck would have it, one would have to be against Forest!
Old January 5 2011, 03:12 PM   #3163
Starkers
Admiral

Any idea on the loan signing? Can't be Loovens as he's injured.

Nige said three players, I was hoping at least one of them would be permanant, and hopefully the striker or midfielder, we're not too badly off in defence when they're fit.

Trouble with having Porter and Davis back is there's no guarentee how long they'll stay fit, especially Davis! Shame really as he;s v talenter, just seems to be made of glass!
Old January 5 2011, 04:28 PM   #3164
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Only name I've heard is Kevin Phillips, but I don't know whether I believe that or not.

Clough seems to be sending out mixed messages regarding permanent players coming in during January. I would hope that we find a permanent replacement for Hulse up front at the very least so that we don't have to keep loaning in strikers (Moore, Kuqi etc).

Addison's back now and will provide cover either in central defence or in the holding midfieler role.

Ideally I'd like someone in a bit like Commons, creative. Bueno's talented, but sometimes (Monday) he just can't do it.
Old January 5 2011, 05:15 PM   #3165
Starkers
Admiral

Kevin Phillips, not exactly the pacy striker we need!

Addison is useful in either role, I'm just concerned about his fitness levels after so long out, it might take a while to ease him back in. I guess another playmaker might be useful in midfield, especially if Kris doesn't sign a new contract (and a Forest fan friend of mine--I know, I know disgraceful--says the situation now sounds very familiar to his last year at the reds.)