Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old November 8 2010, 10:14 AM   #3076
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Now, now. They both have to win replays first... though both should be doable.

That draw news came at just the right time for me yesterday, as I'm sure you can imagine. Also, Torres' second goal - what a peach. And Newcastle!
Old November 8 2010, 10:44 AM   #3077
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah not a great Sunday afternoon for you!

I still can't quite believe we're 4th at the moment...

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8 2010, 12:50 PM   #3078
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Yes, very impressive. Think it's too much to ask to stay there?

I accept the Swansea win because they were by far the better team on the day. It's the kind of loss that could happen to us at any point, because without Bothroyd we're devoid of any ideas. The manager got it totally wrong yesterday in terms of formation and system. Not to mention the players - Keogh is worse than useless as a centre-forward; Bellamy did nothing; Chopra could barely get a touch; Drinkwater was clearly not fit enough and should never have started. For once, our best players were the centre-backs and the goalkeeper, which I guess is a little encouraging after some of their performances before this weekend.

Never mind. Still second, three points clear and one off top. Plenty of games to go. Just a shame the loss was to the Jacks. Would you believe they showed up waving Tangerine balloons, as if they forgot it was Blackpool who nicked their own play-off spot! The cheeky bastards!
Old November 8 2010, 02:52 PM   #3079
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Great performance from the Rams on Saturday evening.

Managed to find a decent stream of the game. Saw the first half hour before we had to go out to a bonfire/fireworks display. Clear penalty and a deserved lead based on what I saw until I went out.

Watched the game back later on and we didn't really let up in the second half.

Commons chance from Green's cutback in the first 10 mins, Sav's cool penalty, Green's tap in after great work from Cwyka and Kuqi, Commons' halfway line effort towards the end. Could have been a lot worse for Pompey than just 2-0.

To cap things off, the return of 'the beast' Addison, and Pompey ended up with no shots on target for the entire game (although Kitson's effort was superbly saved by Fielding and then wrongly given as a goalkick).

On a completely different note, judging from the reports in this morning's papers, it looks as though Wee Billy's started engineering his own departure from Forest. Apparently he's now only doing 3 days a week!
Old November 8 2010, 03:19 PM   #3080
Starkers
Admiral

Addison's only back short term before he goes and has another op though, right? He should only be out another 6 weeks though.

Can we stay up there?Well we'll need to see, as winter sets in and the ground gets cloggier our neat passing game might not be as succesful, but we have confidence, we have a good team ethos and a comfortable system of play that works. I think the only problem could be injuries really. I think the bigger question is, if we were to get promoted would we be able to compete in the Prem? I think we would, but the Americans would have to spend some money, we'd need a top draw striker to play up top (a younger Kuqic) and probably some additional bodies in defence and midfield. I think the 4-2-3-1 formation would suit the prem better than Billy's kick the ball to Stevie Howard plan ever did.

Why's Billy only doing 3 days a week? To be honest surprised he's still there! I guess they won't sack him and he won't resign.

Old November 8 2010, 04:42 PM   #3081
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Yeah, a fleeting appearance from Miles just to remind us that he's still here! Still, we weren't really expecting him back at all this season, now it looks as though he'll be available after Christmas. Great boost!

I don't think we'll stay up there ultimately, but I can foresee us finishing higher than we did last season, and that, in itself, is an achievement considering that Young Nigel is still pretty much in a rebuilding phase.

Billy - 3 days a week apparently. Flies back up to Glasgow after the match, and then doesn't come back down until the following Thursday.
Old November 8 2010, 11:35 PM   #3082
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah I've seen the article in the Guardian now...that's just terrible if its true, the guy really does believe in one rule for him, one rule for everyone else!

Remember though, nothing is ever Billy's fault. I'm almost envious of just how much self delusion the man has...almost!

I think we'll end up hovering just under the play offs. 7th or 8th maybe.

Old November 14 2010, 09:50 PM   #3083
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

So we reach the pointless November friendly internationals *yawn* Anyone think Bothroyd will make it onto the pitch? I don't think there's much denying he's merited a call-up given his form this season, but it's a big surprise to see Capello dipping into the Championship? Do you think he's ever watched Bothroyd play in person?

I just hope this doesn't inflate his ego too much - the guy's a bit of an arrogant tit as it is sometimes, he doesn't need the encouragement!
Old November 15 2010, 01:28 AM   #3084
Jax
Admiral

Capello will waste friendlies like he always does.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15 2010, 08:50 AM   #3085
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Wait, what? Chelsea lost 0:3 at home? Against Sunderland?
Old November 15 2010, 11:15 AM   #3086
Starkers
Admiral

Wow, obviously Ray Wilkins had more of a positive impact than anyone thought!!

Actually you do have to wonder if the decision not to renew his contract had a negative impact on the team...interesting.

Old November 15 2010, 08:31 PM   #3087
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Maybe, but you'd have to guess that playing four full-backs and a dire midfield probably didn't help much either!

Onuoha's goal was quality though. Elmander's was amazing as well, on Saturday.
Old November 16 2010, 05:24 AM   #3088
Jax
Admiral

With replacements for injuries this would of been my England squad...

Hart, Foster, Carson

Richards, Johnson, Ferdinand (c), Cahill, Jones, Jagielka, Baines, Warnock

Albrighton, Young Milner, Wilshire, Henderson, Carrick, Cattermole, A.Johnson, Jarvis

Crouch, Walcott, Carroll

----------------------Foster----------------------

Jagielka---- Ferdinand--- Cahill--- Baines---

----------------Milner----Carrick---------

------Jarvis ------Wilshire------A.Johnson---

-------------------Walcott----------------

I would play Jagielka there to see how he does because we need a 3rd option for RB after Johnson & Richards. Also perfect time to see Walcott play upfront since hes looked pretty sharp since his return from injury for Arsenal. I would of used Richards, Henderson, Jones, Carroll and Albrighton as subs during the match.

However with Capello squad + his usual tactics I predict we will lose 2-0.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old November 18 2010, 12:10 AM   #3089
Jax
Admiral

Foster - 5

Jagielka - 5
Ferdinand - 5
Lescott - 5
Gibbs - 5

Walcott - 4
Henderson - 4
Barry - 4
Gerrard - 5
Milner - 5

Carroll - 6.5

SUBS
Richards - 6.5
Young - 6
Crouch - N/A
Warnock - N/A

A.Johnson - 7 (Did more in 20 mins than THEO has done in 12 months for England. Walcott is not a winger Wenger & Fabio)

Bothroyd - ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME FABIO !!!, he looked like a dog chasing his own tail

England 2nd worst perfomance of 2010 after Algeria.
Old November 18 2010, 07:13 AM   #3090
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I watched the first half. That was more than enough.