Voyager Bridge Via The Oculus Rift
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Miles Away Glyph Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Apr 21

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old October 11 2010, 04:48 PM   #3001
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland
Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Bent joins Terry on the injured list, which is a shame because this was his chance to nail down his place in the squad. Always bug me with English players we get so many injuries in training, never mind matches. Also Rio confirmed as Captain over Gerrard.

Well the team picks itself it seems...

Hart

G.Johnson Ferdinand Lescott Cole

A.Johnson Gerrard Barry Young

Rooney Crouch

Personally I would play Cahill over Lescott.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2010, 09:28 AM   #3002
Starkers
Admiral

Good the more games England play without Terry the easier it'll be to ease him out of the picture for somone better!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2010, 02:25 PM   #3003
Jax
Admiral

Lescott is not better though

Personally I think the long term succesor will be Phil Jones who at 18 is a regular for Blackburn and England U21's. He's never looked out of his depth despite his age and with Big Sam as his manager you know he will only become a better defender...If theres one thing Sam can do its organise his players especially his defenders.

Rio/Jagks/Jones/Cahill/Dawson/Shawcross/Smalling

Maybe even Roger Johnson whose been brilliant at Birmingham since he joined last year and Ciaran Clark from Villa, whose also in the U21's.

could be better but could be alot worse.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Old October 12 2010, 08:12 PM   #3004
Count Zero
Guess who's back

Because the German game against Kazakhstan started so early and is over already (3-0, hooray! Even Gomez scored ) they are now showing Scotland vs. Spain. I'm rooting for the Scots.
Old October 12 2010, 08:18 PM   #3005
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Ah, thanks, I almost forgot Austria's playing today too.

Nice goal by Arnautovic again just now. I haven't seen an Austrian footballer with such a skill level in a long time, if ever.
Old October 12 2010, 09:24 PM   #3006
Count Zero
Guess who's back

Wow, Scotland equalises after already being 2 goals behind. Great atmosphere in the stadium, too.
Old October 12 2010, 09:39 PM   #3007
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Hahaha. Belgium 4:4 Austria. Crazy fucking match.
Old October 12 2010, 09:41 PM   #3008
Count Zero
Guess who's back

Geez, it was 3-3 two minutes ago or so. Sounds like an entertaining game.
Old October 12 2010, 09:43 PM   #3009
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Yup, it was fun.
Old October 12 2010, 09:45 PM   #3010
Iasius
Rear Admiral

Austria has pretty decent chances in group A now, especially with Turkey having lost in Azerbaijan earlier today.

Two or three points vs Turkey and things are looking very good.

Also, three points clear of Belgium now and if you end up tied, direct results count, so those four away goals could become important as well if you draw vs Belgium at home.
Old October 12 2010, 09:52 PM   #3011
Shaytan
Bof

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaytan

2-0 against Luxembourg over here. Ok, it's only Luxembourg but I'm starting to forget the last world cup. The new team is interesting
Old October 12 2010, 10:00 PM   #3012
Eyes
Commodore

View Eyes's Twitter Profile

Meh, sounds like a boring game for England, I didn't watch, but at least we didn't go the same way as Switzerland or Bulgaria to these Montenegro upstarts.

They are starting to worry me though. Coming from nowhere to top of our group is very worrying when they're supposed to be the worst team.
Old October 12 2010, 10:15 PM   #3013
Count Zero
Guess who's back

Iasius wrote: View Post
Austria has pretty decent chances in group A now, especially with Turkey having lost in Azerbaijan earlier today.
And Austria has one game less. Before the qualifying rounds started, I thought Turkey and Belgium were the co-contesters in this group, and now Austria has the best chances. It's still a long way to go, though.

ETA: Wow, due to violence and vandalism by the Serbian fans the game Italy vs. Serbia was aborted. Together with what happened during the gay pride parade in Belgrade on the weekend, way to go, Serbia.
Old October 12 2010, 10:43 PM   #3014
Jax
Admiral

Capello the guy with no plan B and only half a plan A...

Even when we win he pisses me off half of the time so you can imagine what I feel about him, his tactics and some of the players after that game. Lets start with how he refuses to let Gerrard loose and infact for the last 20 minutes had him playing deeper than Barry, ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME.

We couldn't break them down we needed to create space no the wing and a way to do that was to go 5 in midfield to draw more of their players into the centre but no he kept the same 4-4-2 for all 90 mins. He didn't even try to switch Young/Johnson around at times to confuse the full backs.

70 odd minutes to make a sub and this is why we have strikers like Owen in England becasue when there is little space you need someone like him to find it but Capello refuses to pick him but pick SWP who does not play for MAN CITY. Also why was Wilshire yanked from the U21's ? to sit on a bench

Hart - 6
G. Johnson - 5
Ferdinand - 6
Lescott - 6
Cole - 6
A.Johnson - 6
Barry - 5
Gerrard - 6
Young - 5
Rooney - 5
Crouch - 4

Thats how bad we were fucking digusting.
Old October 13 2010, 12:04 PM   #3015
Starkers
Admiral

Well didn't see the game but 0-0 doesn't strike me as a terrible result against a team who are obviously incredibly well diciplined and, lets not forget, have beaten their last three opponants is it? Evil Eyes, I'm not too worried about Montenegro, they seem to be a team based on a hard to break down defence more than anything, and even the games they've won have been by a single goal, so if nothing else we should be able to outscore them in the group overall. They might be a good bet for second place though.

And Jax, come on and calm down the hyperbole. 0-0 result against an inform team isn't fucking disgusting, getting hammered by Germany is disgusting! This doesn't even come close. Dissapointing perhaps but we didn't lose.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote