Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old July 8 2008, 10:37 AM   #286
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

If it was me, I'd reverse the European Cup completely back to the pre-Champions League format, so that only actual champions would get to play in the Champion's Cup. I'd get rid of all that group stage-bullshit, seeding, UEFA-coefficient, regional allocation, etc. But noone's asking me.

And bring back the Cup Winner's Cup.
Old July 8 2008, 10:41 AM   #287
Hermiod
Admiral

^I don't think this new European Club's organisation that has replaced the G14 would go for that idea. Just drop the word "Champions" from the title. I'd argue that a team that finishes fourth in England, Italy or Spain is going to be a lot better than the champions of Luxembourg or Estonia.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2008, 12:49 PM   #288
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

NX_01 Mark wrote: View Post
Can we have a better name than the one they choose, UEFA Cup sounds fine or UEFA League Cup.
They should just adopt an honest approach and call it the Uefa Subsidiary Cup......
Old July 8 2008, 04:26 PM   #289
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

The Champions league should be renamed back to the European Cup. No amount of renaming is going to change the fact that the UEFA Cup is a secondary competition.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2008, 04:26 PM   #290
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
I'm getting really hacked off with Arsenal. What kind of message does it send to your squad and the fans when the manager admits that one of the world's most popular football clubs is now a selling club thanks to the stadium that they fill every week ?
Four words: News of the World.

When you take a good look at the actual quotes in the article, Arsene is saying nothing that we didn't already know. He is not saying Arsenal are strictly selling club. NotW is. He is saying that the club favors less expensive, younger players over older more expensive ones. And he doesn't buy "stars" but talent that fits the Arsenal Way. As proven with Henry, Vieira and to a lesser extent, Pires, he seems to know when to get rid of that expensive talent to cash in. Nothing new here, then.

All that said, I do share in the frustration that I wish once or twice he would go out and buy proven expensive talent.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8 2008, 06:46 PM   #291
Jax
Admiral

It does look like the UEFA CL 3rd place teams will lose there rights to drop into the UEFA cup once the new format is up so some good news but I agree with people about re-naming the CL as well.
Old July 10 2008, 09:43 PM   #292
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Sepp Blatter latest wisdom over the Ronaldo transfer saga:

When Blatter was asked if he felt sympathy for Ronaldo's current position, he said: "Absolutely, absolutely. Definitely as a footballer and the Fifa president, I'm very in sympathy with the player Ronaldo. I think in football there's too much modern slavery in transferring players or buying players here and there, and putting them somewhere."
Emphasis mine.

That's right. Blatter said a footballer on £100,000 a week is a slave if he is unable to break his contract, which as United pointed out, was entered into with an agent in free and fair negotiations. In the process, such a declaration, from the Fifa president of all people, risks disrupting the single thing, the enforceable contract, that keeps football transfers from being more of a farce than they already are.

Idiot.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
Old July 10 2008, 09:44 PM   #293
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Many aspects of modern football certainly resemble slavery, but not at the top-level. Having a long lasting contract is an insurance for the player too.

edited to add: and I don't believe for a second that Blatter gives a shit about these things.
Old July 10 2008, 09:58 PM   #294
Jax
Admiral

So everytime a club refuse a transer offer for a player its slavery ? The clubs are becoming a slave to the players. A contract is a contract no matter what your job is so Ronaldo should shut up and do his job.

Glad to see UEFA disown the comments made by Blatter nice to see they have some balls left.
Old July 10 2008, 10:06 PM   #295
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

As I said before Blatter is a twat of the highest degree.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2008, 10:38 PM   #296
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

I can't remember if it is here or another board I first saw the nickname Septic Blather.

Old July 11 2008, 12:20 PM   #297
Hermiod
Admiral

Two bits of transfer news, one was the worst kept secret in the world and the other is a bit of a shock.

Arsenal have completed the signing of Samir Nasri from Marseille for an undisclosed fee. (Hence the new avatar )

The surprising news is that Robbie Fowler has signed for Blackburn Rovers from Cardiff City on a free transfer. Cardiff only offered Fowler a Pay as You Play deal. He proved his fitness to new Blackburn boss Paul Ince and a one year deal was struck.
Old July 11 2008, 06:02 PM   #298
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Gave him the number 8 shirt I see. Nasri looks to be such a direct replacement for Hleb that I'm surprised they didn't just give him the 13 shirt right off Hleb's back. I watched some YouTube highlights and he looks quite the dribbler - runs through crowds with close possesion; defenders slipping and falling onto their butts all around him. But, then again, YouTube clips make every footballer look like a genius.

Looks to be a very good signing, though. Time will tell.

Old July 12 2008, 08:53 AM   #299
Jax
Admiral

Here's a question for Arsenal fans, I am so desperate to see him play upfront and assuming you keep Adebayor, I think a tall/small partnership would be great though in Euro a 4-5-1 would be better. I think Theo, Robin and Adebayor could help Arsenal push for the PL Title but what do you think Wenger will do with Theo next season and where do you want him to play.
Old July 12 2008, 09:49 AM   #300
Hermiod
Admiral

He's best off being an Henry-style roaming striker. If he wants to drift out wide, or come in to the middle, leave it up to him.