Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old October 1 2010, 03:25 PM   #2971
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Argument in itself against allowing the auld firm into the Premier League. It appears that Strachan's ragtag army of Rangers and Celtic castoffs can't even cut it in the CCC!
Old October 1 2010, 06:06 PM   #2972
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Strachan's not a bad manager in my opinion, but it's not working at McBoro for him at all. Maybe being on the MotD sofa for so long has tainted him a bit? Then again, what excuse can he have for all those Scottish buys? Hell, it's not even Scottish buys, is it? It's Old Firm cast-offs!
Old October 3 2010, 07:03 AM   #2973
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Once again Cardiff do their best to induce a heart-attack vs Barnsley:
First half non-event
Sir Craig pops up in the 43rd to hammer in a half-time lead
Around the hour, Gyepes scores a header to make it 0-2. Sadly, Bothroyd, standing in an offside position, helped it in, so it was ruled out. It was going in anyway!
A few minutes later, Barnsley equalise.
A few minutes later, Cardiff miss a penalty.
From the resulting corner, Cardiff score - Olofinjana to make it 1-2.
81 minutes on the clock, Blake is sent off for Cardiff for a second yellow, making us have to endure 10 minutes or so with ten men. Which we did.

Can't we just win the simple way for once?!
Old October 3 2010, 08:09 PM   #2974
chineserapper05
Captain

is it possible for liverpool to get relegated this year? my roommate would never stop mocking me for the rest of my life if that happens

RIP Darla Perez, June 7, 2008
chineserapper05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2010, 08:19 PM   #2975
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Well, normally I would say "no way" but then, it's happened before; Manchester City, United and Chelsea have also spent some time outside of the top flight in their history. Things can change, big clubs can turn into small clubs and the other way round. The real nightmares will come to Liverpool in the next couple years if the financial and ownership problems can't be solved though imo.
Old October 4 2010, 10:23 AM   #2976
Starkers
Admiral

I think it is probably too early to panic for Liverpool, especially when you remember that Hodgson's initial period of Fulham was similarly poor, if I recall. That said I think Liverpool may have to accept being a club level with the likes of Villa/Everton and co rather than a top 4 team, at least until the owndership and money issues are sorted.

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 10:48 AM   #2977
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Hodgson is not the problem, but I do think Liverpool fans might have a tough couple years ahead of them. Falling out of the top4 is probably a bigger problem in England than in any other league. Liverpool is Liverpool, but how long will they be able to draw that much attention from the public disproportionate to their athletic performance while a bunch of other, supposedly "lesser" clubs surge ahead of them? 2 years, 5 years, 10 years? The longer it takes to turn their fortunes around the more difficult it will be to get back on top.
Tradition alone doesn't buy you success, especially not in the era of the Abramovichs and Arab Sheiks.
Old October 4 2010, 10:55 AM   #2978
Jax
Admiral

I bet Hodgson is wishing he sold Torres in the summer, he could of brought in 4 or 5 players for the money he would of gotten. Torres is a shadow of the player he was and the injuries will keep coming in my opinion...hes going the way of Owen.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2010, 10:55 AM   #2979
Starkers
Admiral

This is true, let's face it Everton are a big club in terms of fanbase and history as well but financially aren't remotely big hitters anymore.

Old October 4 2010, 10:57 AM   #2980
Starkers
Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
I bet Hodgson is wishing he sold Torres in the summer, he could of brought in 4 or 5 players for the money he would of gotten. Torres is a shadow of the player he was and the injuries will keep coming in my opinion...hes going the way of Owen.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing though, and he'd have been castigated if he had sold him. Hanging onto Torres and Gerrard seemed good business at the time.

Old October 4 2010, 12:51 PM   #2981
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

All I know is that this result - well done Blackpool - coupled with Everton's first win of the season, coupled with how bad Liverpool are at the moment, means there could be one hell of a Merseyside derby in a little under a fortnight's time.

Though I daresay the usual Everton superiority will be broken by the usual Gerrard rocket shot fluke!
Old October 4 2010, 01:14 PM   #2982
Jax
Admiral

Stalkers wrote: View Post
This is true, let's face it Everton are a big club in terms of fanbase and history as well but financially aren't remotely big hitters anymore.
I could never understand all these other clubs being brought who waste the money they had before any takeover but Everton with Moyes/Kenwright who do good by their club can't seem to attract any investor. With Liverpool on its knees, Everton have the chance to put the boot in their rivals but they need to sort out there main issue...

Strikers because there defence is solid and there midfield is crazy strong IMO for a non top 4 team, just injuries ruin them too often.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old October 4 2010, 03:25 PM   #2983
Jax
Admiral

Capello names his ENG squad and well

Goalkeepers
Ben Foster, Robert Green, Joe Hart

Defenders
Ashley Cole, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, Rio Ferdinand, Joleon Lescott, John Terry, Stephen Warnock

Midfielders
Gareth Barry, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Tom Huddlestone, Adam Johnson, Aaron Lennon, Jack Wilshere, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Ashley Young

Strikers
Darren Bent, Peter Crouch, Kevin Davies, Wayne Rooney
SWP not even playing for Man City. Gary Cahill booted out the squad but Lescott whose not a regular in Citys squad is kept.

If SWP gets in then Owen should be in, I mean KEVIN DAVIES 33 year old never played with ZERO chance of making it to Euro 2012.

Lennon form does not deserve the call up either and Carson been much better than Green. If it wasn't for injuries I would of dropped Rooney but he should not start at at all, either Bent/Crouch or Bent as lone striker.

Same old Capello.
Old October 4 2010, 04:23 PM   #2984
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Lescott has played the last 3-4 games for City hasn't he?

Poor squad at any rate. SWP boggles the mind.
Old October 4 2010, 09:04 PM   #2985
Jax
Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
Lescott has played the last 3-4 games for City hasn't he?

Poor squad at any rate. SWP boggles the mind.
Hes played a few at left back but has not played them all unlike Cahill, who is better anyway.