Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old August 3 2010, 01:08 PM   #2791
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Nah last year was the year and we blew it. Thanks though I don't see any of those 3 teams going up.

At the top: David James to end his career with a dazzling string of saves in the play-off final v Burnley. Bristol and Boro to go up with one from Reading, Hull and Preston. Well, maybe not Preston. Or Hull. League winners to have record low points total. Oh screw it, all these teams are average. Cardiff City to make the play-offs but spare me the final humiliation and have the decency to get destroyed in the semi. Mass exodus, liquidation and new life in Newport County's division as South Glamorgan United.

At the bottom: Millwall and Scunny to go down, but with a fight unlike poor Portsmouth, who this time next year will be in...

The Reckoning: Sheff Wed to win with Saints and Huddersfield joining them in the ascent. Rochdale to return to their favourite league...
The Struggle: I know nothing about League Two, it's a total lottery.*

The Prem... geez, I just cannot do it this year. I will generalise though:
Usual title fight, to the script. I'll go out on a limb and fancy United to reclaim it, humiliate Liverpool with their record 19th title, Fergie to retire, Hernandez and Valencia the stars of the season
Villa to get worse and Everton to get better. With a good start, Everton for Europe where they and Arteta belong
Liverpool to finish 6th at most
City to win sod all, maybe get 4th
Spurs to crash and burn but still come in the European places
Bolton the dark horses for top 10/Europe - they're building nicely and are playing something resembling football these days.
Stoke to be nowhere near 9th - you need something resembling away form for that
Blackburn, Wolves, Fulham to be incredibly average
Blackpool relegated by April
West Brom to do the unthinkable and stay up for once
Newcastle to skirt with relegation - look at that bloody squad - and more than likely mess it up
One from Wigan, West Ham and Wolves to join them. Nailed-on it's Wigan if they let N-Zogbia go, as much as it pains me to go against them

The Prem and the Champo are going to be brilliant this year. There's nothing between anyone either, save for the very top and very bottom. And Blackpool.

*oh how I wish I could remember where I heard those names for Leagues One and Two...
Old August 5 2010, 07:32 AM   #2792
Jax
Admiral

The papers are buzzing about whose going to be dropped when Capello names his squad on saturday, which is supposed to signal a new era, am sure . Anyway heres my personal 23 man squad...

GK - Hart, Robinson, Foster
RB - Johnson, Richards
CB - Shawcross, Dawson, Cahill, Jagielka
LB - Gibbs, Warnock
RM - Lennon, A.Young
CM - Rodwell, Huddlestone, Wilshere, Milner
LM - A.Johnson, Walcott
FW - Agbonlahor, Crouch, Defoe, Zamora

-------------- Hart--------------
Richards Cahill Dawson Warnock

-----Huddlestone Rodwell-----

Agbonlahor Milner A.Johnson

-------------Zamora--------------

Give the likes of Wilshire, Gibbs and Shawcross 45 mins in the 2nd half and probably push Agbonlahor more up front later in match but I do think young Gabby with his pace could do what Podolski does for Germany.

If we are going to play a 4-2-3-1 then we need two proper holding players and hopefully Rodwell can do it with Barry in the long run. Wilshire was thought off as a winger and he can probably do that but after seeing Ozil in WC I think we can make him a CAM and give him proper freedom and not hold him back liek we have done with players in the past. Maybe even Wilshire could adpot the gerrard Liverpool role in the future.
Old August 6 2010, 12:57 PM   #2793
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Aston Villa again? Fuck, shit, crap.
Old August 6 2010, 12:58 PM   #2794
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

^ Beat me to it!

Incredible.
Old August 6 2010, 01:02 PM   #2795
Roger Wilco
Admiral

And I thought there are more clubs out there in Europe. Now the EC is becoming just as boring as our national league.
Old August 6 2010, 01:11 PM   #2796
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Unfortunately I'm backing Villa for this one. I need them, Liverpool and City to have a good run in Europe to distract them from the league in order to win me money on my Everton for Europe bet.
Old August 6 2010, 01:20 PM   #2797
Roger Wilco
Admiral

It would be hilarious if we could beat them again, but I really really doubt it. If they lose again they'll probably suck in the league too though so no worries.
Old August 6 2010, 04:03 PM   #2798
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Villa haven't strengthened at all this year, so unless their younger players come good I don't see them doing much. Certainly not as high as 6th again.

Can your boys at least score really really quickly again?
Old August 7 2010, 07:43 PM   #2799
Shaytan
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Shaytan

Uninteresting fact of the day : the French ligue 1 starts today yeah
It's always more interesting before it starts so today is the last day to be excited about it

Last edited by Shaytan; August 8 2010 at 09:56 AM.
Shaytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2010, 08:03 PM   #2800
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

The season is underway now, for which I'm glad. We (Southampton) didn't get off to the best start. Our opening day curse struck again. We should get promoted but I think we need another winger and another big striker.

But at least Pompey lost their first game too.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 7 2010, 08:28 PM   #2801
Iasius
Rear Admiral

Well, "we" just lost out latest friendly against Fulham 5-1. I can only hope that's some sort of wakeup call to the team. We were dominating during the first half and 1 up, but conceding five in the second half ...
Old August 8 2010, 02:28 AM   #2802
Jax
Admiral

Forest losse 1-0 what a shocker...With the exception of Earnshaw our attackers can't hit a barn door. Capello names his squad and gets some right and but once again loses his bottle to drop the most biggest names...

Ben Foster, Joe Hart. Paul Robinson

Wes Brown, Gary Cahill, Ashley Cole, Michael Dawson, Kieran Gibbs, Phil Jagielka, Glen Johnson, John Terry

Gareth Barry, Steven Gerrard, Adam Johnson, Frank Lampard, James Milner, Ashley Young, Theo Walcott, Jack Wilshere

Darren Bent, Carlton Cole, Wayne Rooney, Bobby Zamora
The keepers are spot on, Robinson is a perfect experience keeper to have cover for the inexperience Hart. Hes right to keep Terry there because we need to gel him and Dawson together quickly for the Q/F games but why is Micah Richards not there ? If you want someone with pace liek Johnson but who can actually defend then Richards is your man, a person who probably had only 1 bad game ever in a ENG shirt but that was his last in 2007 against Croatia.

Why is Barry, Gerrard and Lampard even here for such a game ? Wheres Rodwell and yeh he had a bad world cup but Lennon would express himself in a younger more attacking side. Wilshire looks to be a winger in this game but I just don't see that being his best position IMO.

Rooney should not be here full stop he needs to regain his confidence and fitness at Man Utd. Zamora is a good call up, Darren Bent is Andy Cole utterly brilliant at club level but will never make the grade at international level. We need raw pace (Owen Esq) a guy who can run at defenders making them tired and forcing them deeper into there own half because they are scared of fast runners...

Agbonlahor, who I still say can be our next Owen and has had a full summer off who of the last 3 seasons always start the season better than most players. Who no Gabby, why no pace upfront ?
Old August 8 2010, 02:38 PM   #2803
trekkiebaggio
Vice Admiral

View trekkiebaggio's Twitter Profile

Apparantly Robinson has rejected the call-up and has also retired from international football.

I'm fairly happy with the squad, I'd rather not have Terry there but we need some experience. I'm not a fan of Barry at international level, I'm surprised Rodwell didn't get a call-up actually.

Man of Yesterday - My blog: movie, books and board game reviews.
trekkiebaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9 2010, 11:53 AM   #2804
Jax
Admiral

Robinson, Brown WTF really

It smacks of children throwing there toys out of the pram especially in Robinson's case who in his statement sounded like a spoilt kid whose just been told he'll have to earn his pocket money. Yes Capello should of picked you more in the squad and yes you should of gone to the world cup but come on stop acting like a kid. With Hart and Foster inexperienced, Robinson would of been number 2 due to his experience at least until 2012. As for Brown he should of said I prefer not to be picked but in a injury crisis I'll come and help, I really find it insulting that people refuse to play for there country I mean hes 30 not exactly retirement age.

Capello call ups for Gibbs/Wilshire is just a cheap token to make Capello look liek hes going to change because I agree with Henry Winter of the telegraph who basically says if he was serious then Agbonlahor/Rodwell would be in the squad.
Old August 9 2010, 12:20 PM   #2805
Shazam!
Rear Admiral

In fairness, Brown is fucking terrible.

Also, no Joe Cole and Jermaine Defoe? *facepalm*
Shazam! is offline   Reply With Quote