Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old June 18 2008, 07:31 AM   #256
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

^He became rubbish ?

Flicks, tricks and no end product. At least Thierry Henry scored the occasional goal.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2008, 04:45 PM   #257
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

Nope. Seasons of 20, 15, 25 and 23 goals, followed by this season where he scored 9 goals but only started 21 games. That's more of a dip in form than anything else, due in most part to injury. Guy's only 28 years old.

Anyone else have any idea? Is he on the blow? Too many prozzies not enough practice?
Old June 18 2008, 05:41 PM   #258
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

By all accounts he spends way too much time in the clubs. The tabloids intimated blow use, but who can believe anything they read in The Sun and the like? So, maybe.

But, even at the height of his powers, it is said that he never trained very hard and was largely allowed to do the training he saw fit. And at 28, with injuries and a partying life style, he is unable to regain peak fitness because of it. At one point in the season he seemed to be carrying noticeably more weight.

All of which makes this transfer business fascinating and tricky. I'm curious what valuation they place on him. And depending on that, and whether or not the challenge of a new club moves him to return to form, it could be one of the best or worst buys of the summer window.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2008, 05:49 PM   #259
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

It seems that Manchester City is pouring out the cash to sign him.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2008, 06:16 PM   #260
StolenThunder
Poster

^ Which would be frankly hilarious. Mark Hughes, Manchester City, and Ronaldinho!
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2008, 08:09 PM   #261
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Los Angeles through the rumors channels let it be know that they wanted him, even though in no way possible could it work with the system that league has with salary caps unless they change the rules specifically for him (as they did with Becks). I think they float rumors like this to say "see, we're a big club just like in Europe!" which is funny for so many reasons.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2008, 09:12 PM   #262
Garak

TheArsenal wrote: View Post
By all accounts he spends way too much time in the clubs. The tabloids intimated blow use, but who can believe anything they read in The Sun and the like? So, maybe.

But, even at the height of his powers, it is said that he never trained very hard and was largely allowed to do the training he saw fit. And at 28, with injuries and a partying life style, he is unable to regain peak fitness because of it. At one point in the season he seemed to be carrying noticeably more weight.

All of which makes this transfer business fascinating and tricky. I'm curious what valuation they place on him. And depending on that, and whether or not the challenge of a new club moves him to return to form, it could be one of the best or worst buys of the summer window.
So it's really just a lack of comittment and focus. I think he could be a steal if he gets his shit together, considering Barca automatically lowered his transfer fee by stupidly stating he didn't figure in to their plans. Then again, this could just be a motivational tool by them in hopes that he wakes up and starts playing like he can.

TheArsenal wrote: View Post
Los Angeles through the rumors channels let it be know that they wanted him, even though in no way possible could it work with the system that league has with salary caps unless they change the rules specifically for him (as they did with Becks). I think they float rumors like this to say "see, we're a big club just like in Europe!" which is funny for so many reasons.
No doubt.
Old June 18 2008, 10:55 PM   #263
Hitman
Vice Admiral

View Hitman's Twitter Profile

Garak wrote: View Post
Anyone else have any idea? Is he on the blow? Too many prozzies not enough practice?
During last season, word got out that there was some disagreements between him and the coach.
Old June 19 2008, 10:35 AM   #264
Jax
Admiral

^ Was it something along the lines of...

Oi fatty boy get some training done before you look like a goofy big teeth version of Rosie o Donnell.
Old June 23 2008, 06:46 PM   #265
Hermiod
Admiral

Samir Nasri is saying on his website that he has signed for Arsenal in a £15.8m deal.
Old June 24 2008, 08:18 PM   #266
Jax
Admiral

Some B/S from FIFA today about ENGLAND's 2018 bid for the World Cup...

England have been warned they must keep a 'high profile' in international football if they are to succeed in a 2018 World Cup bid
Dr Danny Jordaan, chief executive officer for the 2010 World Cup organising committee, has alerted the FA that a failure to book a place at the tournament in South Africa could directly affect their bid.
They have to remain on the top of the minds of the global football discussions, so 2010 is important for England not just for the fans, but also their campaign. They must work hard to qualify.
If true how did USA, Japan, S.Korea and South Africa all win bids because there not exactly football super powers especially back when they won there bids. Some countries have had the WC twice in half the time since we last held the dam thing, I think we have waited long enough but I won't be surprised if FIFA gave it to someone else because FIFA = Anti English these days.
Old June 24 2008, 10:51 PM   #267
Hitman
Vice Admiral

View Hitman's Twitter Profile

Hilarious! Only FIFA could come up with that shit...

And by the way, will the next World Cup be in South Africa? Last time I looked, the gears weren't running that smoothly over there...
Old June 24 2008, 11:33 PM   #268
Garak

It really seems FIFA aren't even bothering to hide their anti-English bias these days.
Old June 25 2008, 08:25 AM   #269
Hermiod
Admiral

I wonder if David Tennant will lend me the Tardis so I can go back in time and strongly encourage the founders of the Football Association to copyright the laws of the game.
Old June 27 2008, 12:37 AM   #270
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Today is Paolo Maldini's 40th birthday. Auguri Capitano!

23 years, 1009 games, 7 Scudetti, 5 European Cups, 1 legend and 1 more season.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote