To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old April 30 2010, 06:50 PM   #2671
Starkers
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Has the potential to be a very interesting playoffs! Be nice if you did make it, because I like Dave Jones and eventually someone else will snap him up. Blackpool would be an incredible turnaround, actually so would Leicester. Forest have to be the favouries though. Is the line up set yet? Is a Forest/Foxes final possible?

Who would I want to win!

Well done Fulham, I really hope they win it now!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30 2010, 07:05 PM   #2672
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I'm convinced the team that wins the play-offs is the team who see off Forest. We and Forest are guaranteed 4th and 3rd respectively, whereas Leicester are only guaranteed to finish 5th or 6th. Blackpool will be 6th if they win on Sunday, Swansea will get it if they win and Blackpool don't win.

My ideal scenario is Forest v Blackpool, with Blackpool sneaking it at home. Forest are likely to stomp on them at the City Ground, so Bloomfield Road will be decisive even though it'll be the first leg. I'm happy enough we can beat Leicester over two legs, home leg second. As DJ says, it's not about playing home/away that wins through, it's the team going into the games in form. That's us, regardless of Sunday's result at Derby where most of the first team will be rested. Do Derby have anything to play for? Nothing that stops it being a good run-out for our fringe players and those returning from injury like Hudson and Ledley. Blackpool and Leicester are on good runs though - Forest are weakest but only because of their away form in the last couple of months.

It's really too tight, but realistically I can see Cardiff v Forest at Wembley where anything could happen. Forest/Foxes is possible but hopefully it won't happen. If I'm losing, I'm losing at Wembley, not the Walkers! Rest assured though, Cardiff, Blackpool or Leicester will be going straight back down. We in particular have no money to buy anyone except the most bog-standard Stoke cast-off

Still, one season in the PL is enough these days isn't it? TV money, parachute money... With solid foundations and sensible spending, it's perfectly possible to become a yo-yo club like WBA. I'd be perfectly happy with that, but let's see what May brings...

ETA you'll note I'm dismissing Swansea before it's settled - I really don't want to play them again this year, especially not at Wembley? Can you imagine losing the play-off final to your most-hated rivals?!
Old May 3 2010, 11:45 AM   #2673
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Confirmed - Blackpool took 6th spot. They only drew, but Swansea had a martch-winning and playoff-securing goal disallowed in the 92nd minute for handball.

Laugh? I as good as burst a lung. Bring on Leicester!

Oh, and let's all raise a glass. We don't have to watch Liverpool in any way, shape or form again until August!
Old May 3 2010, 08:52 PM   #2674
Jax
Admiral

Forest away from in 2010 in AWFUL so I think we will lose it in the 1st leg not too mention 1 win in 4 games against Blackpool and 0 this season.

My Prediction
Blackpool 2-0 Forest
Forest 1-1 Blackpool

I just don't see us winning the playoffs.

My money is on Cardiff.
Old May 3 2010, 10:42 PM   #2675
Starkers
Admiral

Blackpool isn't a great place to have to go and get a result, but that doesn't mean you won't turn them over at the City Ground.

How'd Cardiff do on the final day of the season by the way, HappyDayRiot (oh go on let me enjoy it there haven't been too many great moments this year! :Lol: )

Old May 4 2010, 06:18 PM   #2676
Iasius
Rear Admiral

FFS! First Enke has his personal problems, and now Adler can't play in the WC due to a broken rib.

At least we have plenty of other good goalkeepers right now. In fact, I'd say we had 5-6 good ones, but no outstanding goalkeepers like Kahn or Lehman a couple years ago.

I really wonder who Löw is going to pick now.
Old May 4 2010, 06:33 PM   #2677
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I almost kind of like the German national team this year, but with Löw as manager I just can't root for them. I fucking hate that guy.
Old May 4 2010, 07:28 PM   #2678
Iasius
Rear Admiral

I almost feel the same way, but I can't bring myself to root against the team just because I think the manager sucks.
Old May 4 2010, 07:46 PM   #2679
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Starkers wrote: View Post
Blackpool isn't a great place to have to go and get a result, but that doesn't mean you won't turn them over at the City Ground.

How'd Cardiff do on the final day of the season by the way, HappyDayRiot (oh go on let me enjoy it there haven't been too many great moments this year! :Lol: )
Great? That was our reserves you beat! Not a first XI on the pitch, although Hudson is staking a claim for his place back from Blake (good luck - Blake has excelled and Hudson is and always will be average) I'm sure you'll do better next season. Fingers crossed we'll be taking your worst Prem team ever record off you so we won't have to play you for another few months

Fingers crossed we won't have to play Hull either - if we go up we'll cross them on the way, and if they come down they'll have ceased to exist by Christmas. I wonder if Bullard fancies a move to South Wales?

Jax, surely this play-off adventure can't be as bad as that year you got turned over by Yeovil?
Old May 4 2010, 08:13 PM   #2680
Jax
Admiral

Jax, surely this play-off adventure can't be as bad as that year you got turned over by Yeovil?
2 playoffs in our history and they have this familar pattern...LEADING BY TWO GOALS.

2003 Championship Playoff against Sheffield Utd was the first we ever had. 1-1 at the City Ground and then in the 2nd leg we lead 2-0 at half time (3-1 agg) only to concede 2 goals to take it to extra time (3-3 agg). We then conceded another 2 included an own goal and went out 5-4 on aggerate.

2007 League One Playoff against Yeovil Town saw us take a 2-0 lead from the 1st leg. it was 1-1 at the City Ground with about 10 minutes left so the aggerate score was 3-1. We ended up losing 3-1 after 90 minutes taking us into extra time and lose 5-2 if memory serves right so that was...

5-4 agg

patterns ey. If we go 2-0 down then I might fancy our chances
Old May 4 2010, 08:44 PM   #2681
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Ouch yes that's the one I remember. I think it was that year Swansea lost the play-offs as well. Or they lose in the final? I can't remember who it was, possibly Barnsley?

I hate play-offs. There's a 75% chance of misery.
Old May 4 2010, 10:59 PM   #2682
Starkers
Admiral

But a 25% chance of success!

In fairness we had a few reserves out Sunday as well! And I doubt anyone will beat our low score. If Portsmouth can't even do it by being shite and having points docked, I doubt anyone else ever will reach the lows of 11 points.

We were terrible, but I still argue we were awfully unlucky/unfit as well, the number of games where we were 5 minutes away from getting something and threw it away to either draw or lose was really annoying!

Old May 4 2010, 11:41 PM   #2683
Jax
Admiral

Forest play the 2nd leg on my birthday though I swear the Yeovil 2nd leg was on my birthday too (11th) so am not expecting a happy birthday.
Old May 10 2010, 05:14 AM   #2684
Jax
Admiral

Chelsea win the title and it wasn't even close in the end quite boring cheers Wigan. Chelsea will easily win FA cup by a 4 or 5-0 drubbing of Pompey. Man Utd need a classy winger on left and shove Nani to right and maybe maybe could look for the next Scholes to slot into the middle 3. Sell Berb but with 1 striker upfront no need to replace him Owen, Macheda can get goals with Welbeck to return a big striker would be a waste of £££.

Englands case of WHY they won't win the World Cup is clear again and looks liek Capello might need to take 5 strikers or if Rooney is not fit then no reason to take Heskey.

Capello names Provisional squad today and my personal one would be...

GK - James, Hart, Green, Robinson
RB - Johnson, Brown, G.Neville
CB - Ferdinand, Terry, Upson, King, Dawson
LB - A.Cole, Baines
RM - Lennon, Walcott, Young
CM - Barry, Lampard, Gerrard, Carrick, Milner, Huddlestone
LM - J.Cole, A.Johnson
FW - Rooney, Defoe, Crouch, Heskey, Agbonlahor

If not fit then no real need to replace Barry and maybe Bent for Rooney if not there. If Barry does go with Gerrard/Milner being there for Central or Wide role you could take just carrick and give Barry position to a 5th striker. I would also have serious doubts about taking Walcott to the World Cup.

Last edited by A JaxMas Carol; May 10 2010 at 05:27 AM.
Jax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2010, 10:12 AM   #2685
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I'm baffled that David James still is England's #1. How many times does a goalie have to embarrass himself to get kicked out of the team?