Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old February 15 2010, 02:03 PM   #2551
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Thanks to the wonders of the t'internet I managed to get a feed for the game. Had to listen to French commentary, but that in itself was fairly amusing.

Decent game, we played some great stuff until we scored. Wasn't really any great surprise when we went ahead to be fair. After we'd gone ahead though I thought that we just went a little too negative. Passed up easy opportunities to create decent chances, instead opting to go backwards. And, for all his good work, Commons made a few silly decisions as well, giving the ball away.

Should have been a draw and a replay, but ultimately not too bothered as the display was good again and we've got bigger concerns that the cup at the moment. With 2 home games to come this week I'd really love to see another couple of performances like the ones in the past 4 games. What we don't need to do is undo all of that work and pick up 1 or 0 points.

And on a positive note, Forest lost again.

Apparently there were boos when Davies subbed Mejewski. Awwwwww. It starts......
Old February 15 2010, 02:58 PM   #2552
Starkers
Admiral

Yeah, on paper the next two home games are both winnable. Of course the last time I thought that was when we were about to play Doncaster and Blackpool! We do seem a stronger more confident team now at least. I'm going to err on the side of caution and only predict 4 points

The trouble with Davies is you can't take anything he says at face value. So while he might be tinkering with the team because of tiredness, you do have to wonder if he's also being an arse to prove a point re not getting additional players in in January.?

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15 2010, 03:31 PM   #2553
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
The trouble with Davies is you can't take anything he says at face value. So while he might be tinkering with the team because of tiredness, you do have to wonder if he's also being an arse to prove a point re not getting additional players in in January.?
Oh it's definitely the latter. Remember when he complained about not having sufficient cover up front for Steve Howard, and then when we were 1-2 down to Birmingham he moved Howard back into defence and put Darren Moore up front.

He's an arse, and you really have to wonder just how long he'll tolerate the 'acquisition panel' that they've got at Forest. My bet, not for long.

If Forest don't go up this year I'd be very, very surprised if Davies doesn't cut and run.
Old February 15 2010, 03:34 PM   #2554
Starkers
Admiral

I'm surprised he isn't playing Earnshaw at left back...

Old February 16 2010, 12:40 PM   #2555
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

If you guys could beat Swansea tonight, that'd be fantastic. Thanks! Think we'll have our hands full with WBA somehow - certainly not going to turn them over like we did at the Hawthorns, not with our injury crisis and current lack of ability to defend.

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Thanks to the wonders of the t'internet I managed to get a feed for the game. Had to listen to French commentary, but that in itself was fairly amusing.
Non-English commentary can be great fun. I've been learning Welsh the last 6 months (well, re-learning technically) so I've been watching Cardiff's FA Cup matches on S4C. It's brilliant - S4C has clearly never witnessed anything like Drogba before and go wild over him! And the main guy they have talks constantly in a really grandiose, thick North Welsh accent which puts me in stitches. His crowning moment was at the end of the game, mentioning Chelsea's fixture list:

"Next, Inter Milan and Jose Mourinho, Manchester City and Carlo Ancelotti. But today... DAVE JONES AND CARDIFF CITY!!!" BBC, ITV and Sky have no one who cares to this guy and I'm gutted that's the last game I get with him until probably next year's Carling Cup!
Old February 16 2010, 01:47 PM   #2556
Starkers
Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
If you guys could beat Swansea tonight, that'd be fantastic. Thanks! Think we'll have our hands full with WBA somehow - certainly not going to turn them over like we did at the Hawthorns, not with our injury crisis and current lack of ability to defend.
I thought we were playing Swansea Saturday, thought we had Preston tonight? I might have got them mixed up.

Probably safer for us to win both, just to be sure...

Old February 16 2010, 02:47 PM   #2557
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Think we have got Preston tonight, but either way, we'll aim to beat both Preston and Swansea.

Whilst I wish Cardiff well for the majority of their games this season, I'll have to be mercenary and hope for a WBA win tonight. Don't want to give Forest a sniff of second place........
Old February 16 2010, 04:14 PM   #2558
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Just beat Swansea I don't care when too much I'll happily take a draw tonight.
Old February 16 2010, 11:08 PM   #2559
Starkers
Admiral

Oops, a draw tonight?

Sorry about that...

Fear the Rams

Old February 17 2010, 10:43 AM   #2560
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Forest
Newcastle
Preston.....the latest team to be pwned by the Rams!

I was speaking to some Preston fans last night and their comments were brilliant, going along the lines of not realising that they were turning up to play Brazil. 28 attempts on goal, brilliant. With Hulse, Commons et al, 28 goal attempts is always going to yield a hatful of goals.

Makes you wonder what we'll be capable of if we get Sanu or Vaughan on loan as well.

Favourite bit from last night was when we went 5-2 up. Everyone took their positions ready for the kickoff and our team looked like a bunch of starving people who've just had a burger dangled in front of them. Absolutely great to see that desire. A few minutes later Clough was on the sidelines imploring the defenders to get back, it was like a cavalry charge. Poor old Preston didn't know what had hit them.

Considering that people were worried at the beginning of the month because all of our games were against top teams, we've just beaten three of them and unluckily drew the other one. Swansea on Saturday, c'mon you Rams!
Old February 17 2010, 11:41 AM   #2561
Starkers
Admiral

28 shots on goal, blimey!

There are just some games you'd wished you'd gone to aren't there!

Show's what a settled side can acheive, have to say though it sounds like commons is a big part of our revival, and Barker too. How did Buxton play last night? I do wonder if anderson will ever get more than a cameo!

Looks like we fear no one at the moment, amazing what confidence does for you as well.

Old February 17 2010, 12:46 PM   #2562
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Buxton was at fault for their first goal. Got outbullied by Fatboy Parkin. Other than that didn't really put a foot wrong again. He really benefits by playing next to someone as experienced as Barker. Barker's been outstanding ever since the Forest game, just awesome. Reminds me of when we had Stimac. He's as reliable in the air as Big Dave was, only Barker's got much more mobility.

Anderson's great cover to have, and I'd extend his contract beyond the end of this season. He's more than capable cover for both Buxton and Barker. When Leacock's back that's another bit of quality to add to the defensive cover, and all this is without Addison. Suddenly we're blessed with talented options!

The confidence levels were very apparent last night. Wouldn't have been too long ago that if we'd gone 0-1 down the heads would have dropped. Last night, the attitude seemed to be one of irritation. The lads just upped through the gears and absolutely battered Preston into submission. By the end of the game it really was getting ridiculous, I seriously expected Bywater to have a run at one point!
Old February 17 2010, 06:41 PM   #2563
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Surprise surprise, the OS confirms that there will be a Derby Vs Preston DVD!

£6 again, already got mine on pre-order. Newcastle DVD turned up this morning so I'll watch that this weekend.
Old February 17 2010, 11:33 PM   #2564
Roger Wilco
Admiral

The second goal Arsenal got today was one of the funniest I've ever seen.
Old February 18 2010, 08:52 AM   #2565
Jax
Admiral

I said to my brother before the Arsenal match they have 3 shit keepers...Nice to be proven corect