Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old December 22 2009, 08:44 PM   #2476
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Yes, I was wrong about that, apparently Bayern is really desperate to get rid of him.

I don't know what exactly the reason is why he sucks at the moment, maybe he's secretly on strike or something and still has "it", but as far as I've seen he hasn't shown anything since some time last season, and I follow the German Bundesliga fairly closely.

If he's free and can convince the Arsenal officials that he's still mentally in the game too, maybe he would be worth a shot.
Old December 23 2009, 09:18 AM   #2477
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

View dragunzng's Twitter Profile

Well I'm just getting sick of seeing Almunia hoof the ball up to 4 foot 3 Arshavin is all :P
Old December 23 2009, 11:31 AM   #2478
StolenThunder
Poster

Oh come now. He's at least 4'6".
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26 2009, 09:11 AM   #2479
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

Maybe when he's wearing lifts

Merry Christmas fellow football fans!
Old December 26 2009, 04:57 PM   #2480
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Did Wenger change his philosophy or something? I can't imagine Arsenal playing the classic English footy style of hoof and chase ..
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2009, 01:49 PM   #2481
dragunzng
Rear Admiral

Daedalus12 wrote: View Post
Did Wenger change his philosophy or something? I can't imagine Arsenal playing the classic English footy style of hoof and chase ..
No, it's just that recently Almunia's been having a bad run, and for whatever reason his distribution seems to consist of either slicing the ball out of play, or hoofing it up at Arshavin, who watches it sail over his head, then turns to Almunia in complete disdain.

Big match against Villa in an hour, I have a feeling it's going to be really tough as both teams will be looking to capitalise on Chelsea's recent stumbles.

I really hope if Fabregas isn't 100% Arsene doesn't risk him, January's chock full of big games and it would be a real shame to aggravate that hamstring.

EDIT AFTER THE MATCH: Just how good is Cesc Fabregas? Sooooooo good. Hope the hamstring injury isn't too bad though...

Last edited by dragunzng; December 27 2009 at 05:14 PM.
dragunzng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27 2009, 11:02 PM   #2482
StolenThunder
Poster

Looking forward to MOTD2 tonight. Was stuck in the library so was dependent on Radio 5. Sounded like a good game.

Pompey, Everton and Bolton twice before a run of tough games now. Let's hope we can make things easier on ourselves by not slipping up when we shouldn't.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2009, 03:05 PM   #2483
Starkers
Admiral

I give up with regards Derby*. A few weeks ago I saw us at times play West Brom off the park, and last night we more than held our own away against Newcastle, yet in between we had home games against Doncaster and Blackpool, games I expected us to get something from yet we lose both and don't even seem to have been in with a chance of gaining so much as a point from each!

That's football for you I guess!

(*not actually true, I will be Derby till I die)

"God! Whose hand was I holding?"
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29 2009, 06:09 PM   #2484
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Football is Cardiff City being utterly, utterly incapable of beating any team below 19th or so in the table. Relegation teams must love us. Throwing away a 0-4 lead... I feel like crying every time I think about it.

Plymouth and Peterborough as Christmas fixtures and we got 1 point. I despair. And yet... it's not even that surprising anymore
Old December 30 2009, 11:00 PM   #2485
Starkers
Admiral

Ah well if football was truly predictable it'd be boring.

So Megson's out then? Made the cardinal sin of attacking the fans, you can get away with that if you're higher up the table, but not where Bolton are. Bit of a shame as I don't think the fans ever really gave him a chance and he wasn't terrible at first.

Wonder what the possibility is of Brown jumping before he can get pushed and going back to Bolton as manager this time?

Old December 31 2009, 12:52 AM   #2486
Jax
Admiral

Megson's sacking reminds me of those fans who believe there team is better than it really is. You remember when West Ham fans forced Curbs because they were unhappy at being 10th despite him saving them from relegation 18 months earlier and after Curbs went they flirted with relegation and now this season are in serious danger of going down. The same will happen to Bolton and if Brown is forced out at Hull City then they will also go down sooner rather than later.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31 2009, 01:28 PM   #2487
Starkers
Admiral

yeah bit like Alladyce as well. My favourite was always the Sunderland fans who ousted Peter Reid and were rewarded with Howard Wilkinson!

Old December 31 2009, 01:44 PM   #2488
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

As soon as Hull's second goal flashed up on BBC live text I said he'd be gone before I woke up in the morning so I wasn't the least bit surprised. It's been coming a while now, mainly because of, as you guys say, the fans never gave him a chance. He should have been let go when he kept them up that season he came in and Bolton got another manager in.

Paul Jewell is the favourite apparently. Probably not what the fans want either.
Old January 2 2010, 02:36 PM   #2489
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Wasted a lot of money on Elmander, but otherwise I think he's done as well as could be expected. A harsh sacking, hope they go down.
Old January 8 2010, 08:40 PM   #2490
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Fuck.

Togo national team bus machine-gunned

I love the African Cup of Nations, but this could potentially be a hard blow for Afrian football. If the players' safety can't be guaranteed, even holding a tournament doesn't make sense...