Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old October 5 2009, 04:04 PM   #2341
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

^ You're right, it is stupid to write Liverpool off after 8 games because they've lost a few games. I however wrote them off the week before the league even started, because I felt then and still do now that:
-the strength in depth is weak, and there doesn't look like much is coming through to back-up the first XI or the bench
-some of the players are either not very good or don't look interested enough some days. Doesn't help when your manager plays you in a crazy position either, like he did with Aurelio and Lucas last week
-if Torres has an off-day or is kept quiet, they don't look like scoring half the time. Yes, I know they can score goals eg 6-1 v Hull, but Hull or Burnley at home is one thing. Chelsea or Fiorentina away is quite another.
-it's also surely no coincidence that of the 9/10 teams they've played this year, Liverpool have lost to the 4 good ones, and they've lost convincingly. That's not a pattern that's going to get them very far at home or abroad
Liverpool are doing one thing right - winning games they could easily lose or draw. Leeds and Debrecen spring to mind in particular. They've also eradicated last season's problem of the lower-team-home-draws. But there's no way they can keep losing to teams like Spurs or Villa - what's going to happen when they face City or even Everton?

I predicted them to finish 4th and have believed since August they are the weakest team in the top 4. I stand by my predictions. How do the Liverpool fans here think they can improve?

Starkers, I'd rather get smashed 6-1 away than 0-4 at home. Any day. Heavy home defeats are embarrassing no matter who you are.
Old October 6 2009, 12:44 PM   #2342
Starkers
Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post

Starkers, I'd rather get smashed 6-1 away than 0-4 at home. Any day. Heavy home defeats are embarrassing no matter who you are.
Very true.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2009, 01:09 PM   #2343
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I agree too. Depending on the opponent, a 6:1 away isn't the end of the world, but a 0:4 always hurts.
Old October 7 2009, 05:40 PM   #2344
Roger Wilco
Admiral

What do you guys think about the - apparently still accelerating - trend of dubious foreign businessmen buying prominent football clubs? Birmingham City and Portsmouth a couple days ago, and now maybe/probably AC Milan,
Old October 7 2009, 06:04 PM   #2345
Garak
Talk to me, like lovers do

Prelude to an Arab invasion.

Be afraid, be very afraid.

Last edited by Garak; October 7 2009 at 07:00 PM.
Garak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2009, 02:40 AM   #2346
Jax
Admiral

Too many forgien owners with no love for real Footballer. am glad Forest not a big club I like our owners though now they are beginning to buy non PL clubs.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2009, 04:08 PM   #2347
Starkers
Admiral

I suspect a lot of foreigners do like football...

Foreign owners are like any other aspect of society, some are good/some very bad. Do chelsea fans prefer Abramovitch over Ken Bates? Probably. Do Villa fans prefer Randy Learner to Doug Ellis, again it's likely. I'm fairly happy with Derby's American overlords at the moment, they're certainly better than some of the charlatans we've had (like the lot before last who were all English and are now all in jail)

It is worrying when owners pump billions in, because you do wonder what happens when they eventually get bored and want to pull out, and the way clubs change hands over a short timescale is ridiculous; the Portsmouth situation is just mad and I fear for them.
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 10:24 AM   #2348
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

So, who's going to be watching Ukraine v England today?
Old October 10 2009, 10:47 AM   #2349
StolenThunder
Poster

I haven't really watched the ones that were on TV, so paying £12 to watch it on the Internet seems unlikely.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 11:24 AM   #2350
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

£12? I thought it was £4.99. And even then I think it's a terrible decision on almost every level.
Old October 10 2009, 02:40 PM   #2351
StolenThunder
Poster

It was £4.99 at the start of the week, and the price has increased as the game has grown nearer. It's now £11.99.

Oddly I'm caring about the result more than usual. Put a couple of quid on Japan, England and Italy all winning.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2009, 04:40 PM   #2352
Iasius
Rear Admiral

Russia vs Germany 0:1 (35th minute)

A bit undeserved IMO. But a nice goal.
Old October 10 2009, 04:51 PM   #2353
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I think the Germans are playing very well actually, especially in the first half hour they were the better team imo.
Old October 10 2009, 04:55 PM   #2354
Iasius
Rear Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
I think the Germans are playing very well actually, especially in the first half hour they were the better team imo.
The first 15 minutes or so were about even, then the Russians got better chances, but Germany got a chance and scored. I didn't think at the 34th minute that Germany was more likely to score a goal first.
The last ten minutes were better from our team.

That said, it's not completely against the way the game was going. I do think a draw at half time would reflect the chances better, but I'm not complaining.

Edit: I may be comparing the German team too much to what I've grown accustomed to from club play.
Old October 10 2009, 05:17 PM   #2355
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Well, the German lead does appear to be increasingly lucky now.

btw. that idiot commentator on ZDF is incredibly annoying.