Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old July 12 2009, 01:50 AM   #2071
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile
Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Jax wrote: View Post

Foster

Brown-Ferdinand-Vidic-Evra

Valencia-Scholes-Carrick-Young

Owen-Rooney

I've seen worse

It's not a title-winning side though is it?

Rooney and Owen never performed well together for England, Scholes is over the hill and linked with Everton, Brown offers very little, and none of Valencia, Young or Carrick are likely to hit the back of the net very often.

You've still got a massive Ronaldo-shaped hole in a side lacking in real midfield quality.
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2009, 07:41 AM   #2072
Jax
Admiral

Tomalak wrote: View Post

Foster

Brown-Ferdinand-Vidic-Evra

Valencia-Scholes-Carrick-Young

Owen-Rooney

I've seen worse

It's not a title-winning side though is it?

Rooney and Owen never performed well together for England, Scholes is over the hill and linked with Everton, Brown offers very little, and none of Valencia, Young or Carrick are likely to hit the back of the net very often.

You've still got a massive Ronaldo-shaped hole in a side lacking in real midfield quality.
I disagree Rooney and Owen worked well between 2003-2005 before injuries on both stopped themn playing them together. Owen scored more but Rooney overall play was impressive 2006-2007 which was Rooney's worst in a ENG shirt was ironically without Owen.

If he could get Young then that would be a good replacement for Young in the long run this boy can be special.
Old July 12 2009, 11:50 AM   #2073
ATW
Lieutenant Commander

I can't understand after the Champions League why any United fan would leave out Fletcher from the centre of midfield.
ATW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2009, 01:54 PM   #2074
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

I disagree Rooney and Owen worked well between 2003-2005 before injuries on both stopped themn playing them together. Owen scored more but Rooney overall play was impressive 2006-2007 which was Rooney's worst in a ENG shirt was ironically without Owen.

If he could get Young then that would be a good replacement for Young in the long run this boy can be special.
Young still flatters to deceive. He's a talented player, but I don't think he will push on and join the top bracket. He fades very badly in the second half of the season. He's 24 now, the same age as Ronaldo, and older than Messi and Silva. I just don't think he has enough in him. He is, and will continue to be, a good player, but let's not go overboard because he's English and can put in a cross.

The United central midfield is weak compared with Liverpool's or Chelsea's. Pick any two of Scholes, Carrick, Fletcher or Anderson (Ferguson obviously doesn't know his perferred pairing), and it is lacking compared with Essien, Lampard, Alonso or Mascherano. Hargreaves might make the difference, if he can stay fit.
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2009, 02:22 PM   #2075
Hermiod
Admiral

I was waiting for this - Manchester City and Arsenal are in talks over the potential sale of Emmanuel Adebayor. Hopefully we can mug them for £30m or so.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2009, 04:44 PM   #2076
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Tomalak wrote: View Post
I'm with you. I just don't see where those 26 to 42 (past two seasons) Ronaldo goals are going to come from, whether the Owen Rooney partnership works or not. A fit Owen getting quality service may be good for 12. Then what? As tight as the table was the past two seasons every one of those Ronaldo goals counted.

Hermiod wrote: View Post
I was waiting for this - Manchester City and Arsenal are in talks over the potential sale of Emmanuel Adebayor. Hopefully we can mug them for £30m or so.
Mixed feeling here. I'd rather he'd gone overseas. He was (IMO) worthless and disinterested for a year and a half. But I'd rather not see a motivated Adebayor with something to prove playing for the side which may challenge for the Top 4.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 13 2009, 10:34 PM   #2077
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

Carlos Tevez is making a long move to Manchester City.

Link

Looks like they will try and shore up that signing with Emma "The Headbutt" Adebayor, offering him more than Arsenal ever could at 130,000 pounds a week. As Emma proved last summer, he's all about the money, so look for that to happen. Jeez, it's starting to look like CL glory awaits Man City at the expense of that stagnant and perennial 4th place team from North London.
Old July 13 2009, 10:40 PM   #2078
Roger Wilco
Admiral

^^^
I wouldn't bet on it. A bunch of expensive players don't make a team.
I think Aston Villa or Everton have a better chance of making the top4 than Manchester City.
Old July 13 2009, 10:48 PM   #2079
Garak
Mr Garak. Today My Name is Mr Garak

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
^^^
I wouldn't bet on it. A bunch of expensive players don't make a team.
I think Aston Villa or Everton have a better chance of making the top4 than Manchester City.
This is true. I'll take O'Neil and Moyes over Hughes any day, I'm stunned that Man City despite splashing the cash haven't brought in an above average manager.

Still though, it is nice to see some teams breathing down the top 4's necks.
Old July 13 2009, 11:39 PM   #2080
Jax
Admiral

Man City still have a weak CB parntership so they will leak goals so the top 4 will be out of reach still at this rate. Mark Hughes will be sacked at somepoint this season the only question is when.
Old July 14 2009, 12:44 PM   #2081
Starkers
Admiral

Well, I guess Craig Bellamy will be on the move again soon now!

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2009, 10:02 AM   #2082
alasdairsim
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Man City still have a weak CB parntership so they will leak goals so the top 4 will be out of reach still at this rate. Mark Hughes will be sacked at somepoint this season the only question is when.
I think Richards and Dunne are a good partnership. Not bad when you consider that Kompany can come in and play there too.
alasdairsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15 2009, 06:47 PM   #2083
Jax
Admiral

^ Richards is a RB he is not good enough to be a centre back he should stick to the position that saw him break on the scene and get an ENG place. Dunne is an average player good for some clubs but not now Man City have all that money and ambition.

There parntership was not fruitful which was shown by the amount of goals being leaked over the last 2 years.
Old July 17 2009, 07:47 AM   #2084
Hermiod
Admiral

Manchester United have cancelled the first match of their tour of Indonesia in Jakarta after the hotel they were due to stay in was bombed.

More here.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17 2009, 10:51 PM   #2085
ATW
Lieutenant Commander

Seems like Barcelona have totally lost the plot! They're about to sign Ibramovic from Inter Milan for 35m Euro + Samuel Eto'o + Hleb. Why oh why would anyone want to replace Eto'o is one thing, but why oh why would you offer him for one of, if not the most overrated striker in European Football at this time!
ATW is offline   Reply With Quote