Nimoy Memories From Friends and Family
By: T'Bonz on Jul 1

Stewart: It’s in My Genes
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Star Trek Beyond
By: T'Bonz on Jun 30

Trek-themed Car Accessories
By: T'Bonz on Jun 29

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old June 18 2009, 09:40 AM   #1966
Starkers
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

My mate who's a Villa fan would probably agree with most of those choices I think, although he's a bit unsure about Owen. I think if Owen did go to Villa he would have to go on the understanding that he's a squad player, not the star player, and that he might spend a lot of time on the bench (but he would be a great asset there, kinda how Kevin Phillips worked for Birmingham last season) Carew, Hesky, Owen, Abonglahor and Young (if they keep him) would be a good front line. They definitely need more defensive cover and to replace Barry in some way shape or form. I think sidwell might flourish next season.

Owen would probably get more games at Everton, but and Owen/Saha partnership? Moyes better buy 2 or 3 other strikers to play when those two get injured!
Old June 18 2009, 01:03 PM   #1967
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Personally, I think Villa blew their chance, much like Spurs in 2006. I doubt we will see anyone break into the top four any time soon.

Villa aren't even the best of the rest - they have a tiny squad, and O'Neill is an overrated manager. They were playing brilliantly when Carew was injured, with a smart, counter-attacking 4-3-3, but as soon as the transfer window opened, MON returned to his long-ball instincts with the Heskey signing. Much was made of their long season, but they chose the enter the Intertoto Cup, knowing they would have an extended season, yet then decided the UEFA Cup wasn't worth bothering with.

Without Laursen, their defence is a shambles, and they will struggle to replace Barry. Jenas and Huddlestone aren't anywhere near as good.

I expect Everton, Man City, and Spurs to finish above them next season.
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18 2009, 01:27 PM   #1968
Starkers
Admiral

^I think Hesky was a bargain really for the money, as my Villa mate points out though, their probelm is that they don't have a plan b, and teams rumbled em. I do think MON is a good manager personally, but he made one huge mistake in sending the reserve side to Russia and saying players were starting to look tired. From that point on they lost it. Ok the team might be tired, but don't admit it, to them or worst of all to the whole world. Terrible bit of management from a man I'd expect better from.
Old June 18 2009, 01:53 PM   #1969
Jax
Admiral

Theres no way that MON is a bad manager his track record is too good and the nly reason he has yet to win cups left, right and centre is that Fergie never retired in 2002 when O Neill seemed to be Alex's choice to replace him..

* Broke RANGERS's hold on the SPL and made Celtic a force again in European football which included that UEFA Cup Final run.

* Got a unfancied Leicester City to the PL, kept them up and made them a top 10 team which got into Europe by winning silverware

* In 2 seasons he's taken a struggling Aston Villa side from 14th to 6th and while spending he's never spent same amounts like Spurs & Man City have.

However Villa will struggle for me compared to this season unless they buy Upson, Jenas, Huddlestone, Owen and a decent left back then there is no reason why they could challenge this season much better then last season.
Old June 18 2009, 02:04 PM   #1970
Starkers
Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
Theres no way that MON is a bad manager his track record is too good and the nly reason he has yet to win cups left, right and centre is that Fergie never retired in 2002 when O Neill seemed to be Alex's choice to replace him..

* Broke RANGERS's hold on the SPL and made Celtic a force again in European football which included that UEFA Cup Final run.

* Got a unfancied Leicester City to the PL, kept them up and made them a top 10 team which got into Europe by winning silverware

* In 2 seasons he's taken a struggling Aston Villa side from 14th to 6th and while spending he's never spent same amounts like Spurs & Man City have.

However Villa will struggle for me compared to this season unless they buy Upson, Jenas, Huddlestone, Owen and a decent left back then there is no reason why they could challenge this season much better then last season.
so if they dopn't buy exactly those players they're screwed? Do they need people for those positions, yes, those exact players? Not neccesarily.

MON is a good manager (even if he is ex Forest and Leiecester!) but this coming season will prove harder. Man City have to perform better, Spurs will have a better season and Everton will be no less of a threat. I certainly won't rule them out.
Old June 18 2009, 02:56 PM   #1971
Jax
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Jax wrote: View Post

so if they dopn't buy exactly those players they're screwed? Do they need people for those positions, yes, those exact players? Not neccesarily.

MON is a good manager (even if he is ex Forest and Leiecester!) but this coming season will prove harder. Man City have to perform better, Spurs will have a better season and Everton will be no less of a threat. I certainly won't rule them out.
Players of that calibre but out of them all Upson could be the most important, they need a experience centre back.
Old June 18 2009, 03:10 PM   #1972
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

I didn't say MON was a bad manager, I just think some of the praise he was getting around Christmas time was overblown. He's done very well with the jobs that he's had, but I think he's tactically limited and I can't see him going up to the top level.
Old June 19 2009, 05:02 PM   #1973
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

It is now official, Arsenal complete the first of their summer signings with Thomas Vermaelen.

Vermaelen (23), who was the Ajax club captain last season, made his first team debut for the Dutch club at just 18, after playing at Youth level for Belgian side KFC Germinal Beerschot. During his 143 appearances with the Amsterdam side, Thomas, who is predominantly a central defender, gained experience in both the UEFA Cup and UEFA Champions League including two appearances against Arsenal in the 2005/06 Champions League Group Stages. He has made 21 appearances for Belgium, now being a regular in his country’s set-up since making his full international debut in March 2006.
Don't know too much about him. But on paper, looks good. Time will tell.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2009, 06:11 PM   #1974
Hermiod
Admiral

Only problem - he's 5'11".
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2009, 06:49 PM   #1975
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Um ... 5 ft 111⁄2 inches.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2009, 06:54 PM   #1976
Hermiod
Admiral

TheArsenal wrote: View Post
Oh, well, that's Peter Crouch stuffed then.
Old June 19 2009, 07:55 PM   #1977
Garak
Too Much Is Not Enough

Meh, a young shortish central defender that probably won't have much impact. Typical Wenger signing.
Old June 19 2009, 08:05 PM   #1978
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

TheArsenal wrote: View Post
A Gooner mate claims people just think that because Football Manager says so, and he's actually 6'1".
Old June 19 2009, 08:20 PM   #1979
Hermiod
Admiral

Setanta have lost their Premier League rights after failing to pay the bills.
Old June 19 2009, 08:59 PM   #1980
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

Shite broadcaster, but a shame for the people who will probably lose their jobs.*

* Tim Sherwood excepted.