Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old June 17 2009, 10:49 AM   #1951
The Haunting
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Jax wrote: View Post
Having moved to England as a young boy
from his Bio so I don't mind you growing up as a child in the country because you become like adopted you've been in our education system and are part of our culture so your basically English.

after all I did say this...

I wouldn't be 100% against someone moving to the UK as a child because then they have been brought up here so thats not as bad as coming here into your mid 20's and playing for us 5 years later just because your real NATION thinks your shit.
If your an adult I think its different.
The trouble is where do you draw the line? It's always going to be arbitrary, oh you're 16 when you arrive that's ok, you're 17 that's not?

If you have citizenship that means you are a citizen of the United Kingdom, you have a British passport, you can vote in elections etc why wouldn't you be able to play for the national team?

"It should be torn down and the ground sown with salt..."
The Haunting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 03:56 PM   #1952
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Daedalus12 wrote: View Post
I caught a little bit of the US and Italy game. All I have to say is Giuseppe Rossi is the biggest twat in the world and a thankless traitor.
Watched it all.

Anger with Rossi is one thing, and maybe a bit understandable. But I would think most of the ire should be aimed first at the American coach Bob Bradley, who shows shocking tactical naivete for someone in his position, and to a lesser extent the ref who gave a seriously soft red to leave the Americans playing a man down for 70 minutes.

When you're an average team not known for scoring in the run of play; when you're down to ten men after 25 minutes or so; when despite these handicaps you still manage to go up a goal against the Defending World Champions, there are a few very limited options.

Here's what those options aren't:

Not changing your shape when down a man against a better team. Not substituting your last seriously tiring midfielder until the 80-something minute. Not responding to the clearly offensive changes made by Italy when they took Gattuso off for Rossi. Refusing to bring on defensive minded players to clog the midfield; letting the Italians have days on the ball and tons of space. Letting Rangers reject Beasley on the field in any capacity.

The US is not a top tier team. But they have some useful players. But without better management, it's going to be another 3 and out World Cup.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 04:19 PM   #1953
Jax
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Jax wrote: View Post
Having moved to England as a young boy
from his Bio so I don't mind you growing up as a child in the country because you become like adopted you've been in our education system and are part of our culture so your basically English.

after all I did say this...

I wouldn't be 100% against someone moving to the UK as a child because then they have been brought up here so thats not as bad as coming here into your mid 20's and playing for us 5 years later just because your real NATION thinks your shit.
If your an adult I think its different.
The trouble is where do you draw the line? It's always going to be arbitrary, oh you're 16 when you arrive that's ok, you're 17 that's not?

If you have citizenship that means you are a citizen of the United Kingdom, you have a British passport, you can vote in elections etc why wouldn't you be able to play for the national team?
Sport should be kept seperate from Politics, just because they give you a UK citzenship doesn't mean you should play for that national team in sport. I feel that way any such players won't respect the honour and it will never realy mean enough to them so they won't play to there best. IMO age of 11 is the limit for me cause most places you start secondary school and you could employ the 5 year rule there since at 16 you become an adult.

But theres something else I want to talk about, the whole Ronaldo thing...Is it me or should Fergie of done a different deal of like £50 million + Snejider & Huntelarr because that way hes filling the 2 positions he needs top players in and Huntelarr is a good gaol scorer/Rooney can play off him too. I would still Buy Valencia too cause Snejider can play in the middle too and buying both players seperatly would cost more than £30 million so 50 + them two would of been great.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 04:25 PM   #1954
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Starkers wrote: View Post

Indeed. Any other decision is simply discriminatory. It's not as if we're going to be flooded with these players - if you've got at least five years in England under your belt without a call-up, you probably aren't good enough for your "native" team, and probably aren't going to be an integral part of the England side.
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 04:27 PM   #1955
Roger Wilco
Admiral

No, England won't be "flooded" with these player, and neither will Italy or France or Spain, etc. But I think what the FIFA wants to avoid is, a country like Qatar paying 20 talented Brasilians for playing for their national team and that way instantly becoming a competitor for the World Cup.
Old June 17 2009, 04:53 PM   #1956
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Rossi is unusual in that he "traded up". But FIFAs right in not wanting in-all-but-name club teams playing international games.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2009, 06:33 PM   #1957
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
No, England won't be "flooded" with these player, and neither will Italy or France or Spain, etc. But I think what the FIFA wants to avoid is, a country like Qatar paying 20 talented Brasilians for playing for their national team and that way instantly becoming a competitor for the World Cup.
It's not that simple. I can't see how a country like that could retain twenty Brazilians of World Cup-winning ability for however long it takes to gain citizenship. Unless they steal one hundred babies a year and hope for the best. Besides, it's presumably something about the way the game is played and coached in Brazil that makes them so successful at football, rather than some innate genetic ability.
Old June 17 2009, 06:38 PM   #1958
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Ok, maybe they wouldn't win the World Cup, but I think it's not far-fetched to claim that it can't be difficult to find 20 Brasilians (or Cameroonese, Mexicans, whatever) football players who are significantly better than the best Qataris.
Old June 17 2009, 07:52 PM   #1959
Occupy TNZ
I Can't Afford A Lobbyist

Link

Drogba and Boswinga got pretty lengthy suspensions for their actions after that utterly disgraceful display of refereeing - to both sides, not just Chelsea - in the 2nd leg of the CL semis.

Seems a bit much to me, and the fact that the referee escaped unscathed is troubling seeing as he could very well do this again to other teams. I understand you have to keep a level of decorum on the pitch, and think 1 or 2 games would have sufficed.
Old June 17 2009, 07:59 PM   #1960
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

"Unscathed", possibly, but I would be surprised if he officiates at high profile games again. The bans are entirely appropriate for their absurd reactions.
Old June 17 2009, 08:35 PM   #1961
Occupy TNZ

Tomalak wrote: View Post
"Unscathed", possibly, but I would be surprised if he officiates at high profile games again.
One can hope.

The bans are entirely appropriate for their absurd reactions.
What "absurd" reactions are you referring to? Swearing in to the camera? Oh noes!
Old June 17 2009, 10:13 PM   #1962
Jax
Admiral

What about the absurd ref...it was a EUROPEAN CUP SEMI FINAL for god sake and Barcelona went on WRONLY imo to become champs, they should of been knocked out in the semi finals.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old June 17 2009, 11:21 PM   #1963
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

Garak wrote: View Post
"Unscathed", possibly, but I would be surprised if he officiates at high profile games again.
One can hope.

What "absurd" reactions are you referring to? Swearing in to the camera? Oh noes!
Come on, Drogba was way out of line.
Old June 17 2009, 11:40 PM   #1964
Occupy TNZ

Garak wrote: View Post
One can hope.

Come on, Drogba was way out of line.
So was the ref, but I'll agree a game or two was warranted for Drogba, not 6 bloody games - that is ridiculous.
Old June 17 2009, 11:44 PM   #1965
Jax
Admiral

I was thinking maybe we could talk about what some clubs need to do over the summer and since we talk about the top 4 so often I thought maybe we should start with Aston Villa...

They been linked with a few players some good and some not good (Bentley) and cash is not in short supply thanks to that great chairman they have so IMO I feel MON should look at this...

* ADAM JOHNSON - he wants cover for the flanks so why buy a Bentley or Pennant who are only decent on the right and go for this rising star. Can play on either flank and remindsm e of a young J.Cole with his sklls and runs that he does pretty well for ENG U21's.

* TOM HUDDLESTONE - Has all the potential to become a very good player and O Neill is the man to get it out of him. When fit hes a tough tackler and has brilliant passing range way beyond his years.

* JERMAINE JENAS - Villa need someone who can create for others and Jenas would be a solid choice and well priced one too. Has a lot of PL experience as well as being called up by ENG a lot until the last 12 months anyway and would be a perfect partner for Huddlestone.

* MICHAEL OWEN - If the rumors of Carew's immnent departure are true then for a free Owen is worth the risk because if fit and in a team lke Villa his goals could be the difference between an average season or a great one. Heskey or Gabby would play great with Owen.

* MATTHEW UPSON - Curtis Davies is a talented defender but needs experience alongside him and Villa have lost two great leaers in Laursen/Barry so Upson would be perfect. West Ham new owners seem to be willing to sell him and £7-8 million seems to be the price...BARGAIN.

Villa also need a left back but to be honest I can't think who they could get. Bouma is good but they need cover so maybe a loan in the mould of UTD's Fabio would be perfect.

Also I would get rid of Sidwell if they can land Jernas & Huddlestone.

Last edited by A JaxMas Carol; June 18 2009 at 10:22 AM.