TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old June 11 2009, 12:08 PM   #1891
Jax
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

I think its safe to say Valencia and Benzema are going to become Utd Players now though I have major doubts over the French Kid. I think Ribery is a must to replace world class with world class ability. However I agree Man Utd could lower the fee down to £70 million if they chuck in Snejider too who has no future at REAL despite what he may think and he is a top top player...more of a natural winger in ways than Ronaldo allowing Rooney to stay upfront like he does for England.

Also with 3 wingers in the mold of Snejider, Valenica and Ribery they could also sell that waste of space Nani maybe put him n the deal to get Ribery off Bayern, am sure Bayern would accept around £25 mllion + Nani who would probably be good in Germany.

Foster/Van De Sar

Rafael, Brown, Ferdinand, Vidic, Evans, O'Shea, Fabio, Evra

Snejider, Valenica, Ribery, Giggs, Park, Scholes, Carrick, Anderson, Hargreaves

Rooney, Benzema, Berbatov, Welbeck

not a bad team ey though still can't believe he wants to sell Campbell & especially Gibson who have bags of potential.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 12:16 PM   #1892
Jax
Admiral

Just came across this peach of a quote from the Sky Sports comments page...

Another £20 million and Real could've bought Newcastle!

Love it.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old June 11 2009, 01:07 PM   #1893
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
am sure Bayern would accept around £25 mllion + Nani who would probably be good in Germany.
Apparently Bayern rejected a €50 million offer for Ribery from Real.
Old June 11 2009, 01:35 PM   #1894
Jax
Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
am sure Bayern would accept around £25 mllion + Nani who would probably be good in Germany.
Apparently Bayern rejected a €50 million offer for Ribery from Real.
Reports say Bayern want £40 million dunno what that is in €'s but Nani at least is worth 10 million in the current climate so Maybe him + 30 million would do it. Personally I wouldn't go above £35 million and a player like Nani cause thats a £45 milion deal could also have a 5% sell on clause or something as well.
Old June 11 2009, 01:42 PM   #1895
Roger Wilco
Admiral

I don't know. I don't think Ribery is worth that much anyway, although I do believe he could strengthen any club in the world.
Old June 11 2009, 01:43 PM   #1896
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Where's Platini, bemoaning how buys like this are ruining football? Oh yes that's right - it's a Spanish club, so it's okay.

United would be mugs to turn that down and frankly he's only played well since CL final 2008 to keep his price up he's been shit most of last season. £80m will buy some solid replacements - Sneijder, Ribery, Valencia = good. Benzema = no. Don't get why everyone loves him so much. They could even afford to keep Tevez now if they wanted to
Old June 11 2009, 01:54 PM   #1897
Hermiod
Admiral

If they get rid of Tevez now, I'd be questioning Sir Alex's sanity.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 02:58 PM   #1898
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Tomalak wrote: View Post
And please cut this "CR7" crap. It makes me want to vomit. Besides, he won't be number seven at Madrid, unless he steals the shirt off Raul's back.
If it makes you feel any better I only call him CR7 out of respect for the real Ronaldo. Maybe I should just start calling him CRap then.

Real's spending is funded by the Spanish taxpayers so they can get a easy bailout down the road. I think Perez has a 250 million Euro transfer kitty this summer so he is definitely not done yet.

Without Ronaldo I don't think United can win the Premier league next season and I don't think it matters who the replacements are.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 02:59 PM   #1899
StolenThunder
Poster

They could just give a little extra half a million to me. I think I will write them a letter.
StolenThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 03:13 PM   #1900
Jax
Admiral

Am not sure about Tevez anymore because while hes a great player with the loss of Ronaldo they need goals. Rooney played properly can do that but I think for now 15 PL goals and 20 a season is what your going to get out of him until he hits his main peak. Tevez will never utscore Roney he's just not that good, his record for Argentina alone is pretty poor to be generous.

However I have major doubts if Benzema can cut it in the PL because France domestic league compared to PL is a joke and when he was given a real test in EURO 2008 he flopped. He has never lit up the CL either but the counter argurment would be Utd are a better team so more goals would come from him...

David Villa would be the best buy but he will most likely stay in Spain because apparantly spanish footballers die without the sun. Samuel Eto has a breath taking goal record for Barca but I doubt he would leave after they won the CL though if Barca do want Villa then Eto would probably be the one to go unless he switches into Henry's position (not his best way to play if he did). The only ther choice is Hunterlarr from REAL who has never settled.

bottom line its fucking hard to find a decent 20 goals+ striker these days and Fergie should not haved pissed around with Torres 2 years ago and let Liverpool sign him.
Old June 11 2009, 03:17 PM   #1901
Hermiod
Admiral

Sky Sports News are saying Chelsea have had an offer for David Villa turned down because Valencia are in the advanced stages of a deal to sell him to Real Madrid.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 03:19 PM   #1902
Jax
Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Sky Sports News are saying Chelsea have had an offer for David Villa turned down because Valencia are in the advanced stages of a deal to sell him to Real Madrid.
Did Real Madrid just shit out money for breakfast ?

Great Real your going to score 80 goals and concede 81 goals
Old June 11 2009, 03:25 PM   #1903
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Great Real your going to score 80 goals and concede 81 goals
Actually I don't think that is much different from their purported philosophy of "you score 3 so we'll score 4".
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 03:33 PM   #1904
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Excellent. I couldn't care less what Madrid get up to - they still won't win the Champions League - but by weakening United and preventing Chelsea signing Villa, they are doing Liverpool a favour. As long as they keep their hands off Alonso.
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2009, 03:40 PM   #1905
Jax
Admiral

Tomalak wrote: View Post
Excellent. I couldn't care less what Madrid get up to - they still won't win the Champions League - but by weakening United and preventing Chelsea signing Villa, they are doing Liverpool a favour. As long as they keep their hands off Alonso.
Liverpool are not going to get cose to PL since those dorky americans pricks have ZERO money. Not getting Barry was a major blow and you need to buy a good striker for cover plus a winger...

Rafa is dodgy to say the least with £££ and he has no £££ to spend anyway.