Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old June 2 2009, 09:26 AM   #1786
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

^I have a colleague who supports Leeds United and Doncaster Rovers. They weren't in the same league when he started.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 09:28 AM   #1787
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Ouch.

That would be an exception I guess.
Old June 2 2009, 09:29 AM   #1788
Jax
Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Changing affiliation or supporting two teams that play in the same league is something I can't understand.
I could never switch though if Mansfield Town got into the same league as Forest then I would support both because Manfield are my 2nd club and they did give me one of my greatest footballing moments with a PLAYOFF SEMI FINAL penalty shootout win (right behind the goal in the stands for that) and a trip to the lovely Millenium Stadium for the Final. Forest have loss to playoff semi finals with late goals stopping us reaching the final so so owe me a trip to Wembley.

HOWEVER when it comes to both meeting each other...Forest all the way 2 out of 3 local clubs is max I can do because as for Notts County well DOWN DOWN DOWN with the magpies
Old June 2 2009, 09:35 AM   #1789
Starkers
Admiral

Truer words never spoken? (I expect people will disagree!)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/robborobs..._as_usual.html

Sour grapes, possibly, although to be honest if you offered me Derby being where Everton are now in 3 seasons I'd bite your hand off.

Wage and spending caps would solve it, but hardly likely, so maybe the solution is more billionaire owners? Make the top 4 a top 6, then a top 8 until eventually every one of the 92 league clubs is incredibly wealthy- as the line goes, when everyone is special, nobody is. Maybe then the Prem could get to where the Championship is, where evertyone beats everyone else to the point where anyone can sneak into the top 6?

Actually maybe the solution is to introduce a play off for the 4th Champions League place. Now THAT would make life interesting (even if Arsenal still won it)

I think things will change. Eventually Abramovitch will get bored and Chelsea lack the infrastructure to survive without him in their current form. Wenger will leave Arsenal eventually, and while they won't collapse, I can see them slipping into Villa/Everton territory. Ferguson will retire and the Glaser debts will be called in, though the set up will probably ensure they stay there or there abouts. And Liverpool...well Benitez has to explode eventually, and he probably will take half of Anfield with him.

Of course then we'll complain about Man City/Spurs/ whoever

Am I a hypocrite? If some billionaire gave Nigel £30 million to spend would I complain? Probably not

The Devils of Amber Street
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 09:36 AM   #1790
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Jax wrote: View Post
HOWEVER when it comes to both meeting each other...Forest all the way 2 out of 3 local clubs is max I can do because as for Notts County well DOWN DOWN DOWN with the magpies
Well, local rivalries are counter-indicated to "support your local team" of course.

but apropos Notts County - I read somewhere that Notts County is one of the few fan-owned teams in England, but the wikipedia page doesn't really explain how that works - is it set up like the clubs in Germany (where every member has one vote in elections, etc) or is the club just owned mostly by small shareholders?
Old June 2 2009, 09:42 AM   #1791
Hermiod
Admiral

Starkers wrote: View Post
Am I a hypocrite? If some billionaire gave Nigel £30 million to spend would I complain? Probably not
No, you're not. I would like to see a turnover-based wage cap in the Premier League. Clubs would be limited to spending some percentage (say 75%) of the money the clubs actually make from gate receipts, TV, merchandise etc.

No "loans" from billionaires, no buying the players a house each to offset their real wages.

Clubs that operate sensibly as businesses would be rewarded. Clubs that don't, and I'm thinking more of the likes of Newcastle here than Chelsea or Man City, would not be.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 09:42 AM   #1792
Jax
Admiral

Well, local rivalries are counter-indicated to "support your local team" of course.

but apropos Notts County - I read somewhere that Notts County is one of the few fan-owned teams in England, but the wikipedia page doesn't really explain how that works - is it set up like the clubs in Germany (where every member has one vote in elections, etc) or is the club just owned mostly by small shareholders?
Am not sure about Notts County owenership other than only there fans would be the ones who'd want to own that club .

I have to admit the Stags/Forest fanbase is weird because quite alot of Mansfield fans are Forest Fans it just varies of which is someones 2nd club. We both dislike Notts County so we share comon ground (I live in Kirkby-In Ashfield so I can get to Notts/Mansfield easily on train so I have 2 local teams) Hey it could all of been different casue the Derbyshire border is about 10 minutes in car....OH NO
Old June 2 2009, 09:58 AM   #1793
Starkers
Admiral

Changing affiliation or supporting two teams that play in the same league is something I can't understand.
I could never switch though if Mansfield Town got into the same league as Forest then I would support both because Manfield are my 2nd club and they did give me one of my greatest footballing moments with a PLAYOFF SEMI FINAL penalty shootout win (right behind the goal in the stands for that) and a trip to the lovely Millenium Stadium for the Final. Forest have loss to playoff semi finals with late goals stopping us reaching the final so so owe me a trip to Wembley.

Derby have pretty much always been my team, although for some reason I think when I was very young I had a brief flirtation with Southampton (probably the glamour of them having Keegan! ) but Derby are the team my dad supports, the team I grew up closest too and I'll never desert them no matter how crap we get.

My nephew is the weirdest. Growing up he adored Man Utd and laughed at Derby but when Utd won the double (he must have been 15 or 16) he dumped them and started supporting Derby. All he said at the time was that Utd had become boring because they had nothing left to win! Obviously by this criteria he'll support the Rams all his life

Old June 2 2009, 09:59 AM   #1794
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Actually maybe the solution is to introduce a play off for the 4th Champions League place. Now THAT would make life interesting (even if Arsenal still won it)
That would be funny. You could do it like the Dutch Eredivisie used to for a couple years - send the first two clubs to the CL and everyone else from position 3-10 or so in a playoff for the rest of the EC spots. You have a quite radical promotion play-off already, so it would be sort of fitting anyway.

Am not sure about Notts County owenership other than only there fans would be the ones who'd want to own that club .
Alright, I see.
Old June 2 2009, 10:12 AM   #1795
Jax
Admiral

Didn't holland stop the playoff thing this year because UEFA told them they were not allowed to chose there CL clubs in such a manner ?
Old June 2 2009, 10:14 AM   #1796
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Yeah, they softened the play-off significantly - that's why I said "used to".
Old June 2 2009, 10:18 AM   #1797
Jax
Admiral

Yeah, they softened the play-off significantly - that's why I said "used to".
I was asking is it true they stopped it because of UEFA ?
Old June 2 2009, 10:23 AM   #1798
Roger Wilco
Admiral

No idea, but I know the system was very controversial in the Netherlands too, I think neither the fans nor the clubs liked it either.
Old June 2 2009, 03:43 PM   #1799
Starkers
Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
No, you're not. I would like to see a turnover-based wage cap in the Premier League. Clubs would be limited to spending some percentage (say 75%) of the money the clubs actually make from gate receipts, TV, merchandise etc.

No "loans" from billionaires, no buying the players a house each to offset their real wages.

Clubs that operate sensibly as businesses would be rewarded. Clubs that don't, and I'm thinking more of the likes of Newcastle here than Chelsea or Man City, would not be.
That would be interesting, but wouldn't it still favour the bigger clubs (and I'm thinking in terms of attendances here rather than anything else)

I see Gareth Barry is in talks with Man City. Guess Garak was spot on, money does talk. Shame if Liverpool or even Arsenal didn't come in for him.

And did I read the BBC right, Tony Adams close to being Celtic manager?! (John Barnes mk2?)

Old June 2 2009, 03:51 PM   #1800
Roger Wilco
Admiral

That would be interesting, but wouldn't it still favour the bigger clubs (and I'm thinking in terms of attendances here rather than anything else)
So what? Football is not supposed to be egalitarian - except on the pitch, where anything's possible.

This isn't a commie US sport where all the teams are on a level playing field.