TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old May 6 2009, 08:51 AM   #1651
Hermiod
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Tomalak wrote: View Post
You've got to remember that this is a very, very young team.
A young team that will hopefully be undergoing a serious clear out in the summer. Once again, when it really mattered, Arsenal have failed to deliver.

We blew the Champions League final by throwing away the lead against Barca. We blew the league by throwing away leads against Man U and Chelsea last season. We blew the FA Cup by throwing away a lead against Chelsea at Wembley and we've blown the Champions League this season by just not showing up.

Until we have a core squad of players who are not lazy, spoiled children who earn too much money at too young an age we will never win anything again. None of them care. They're all on ridiculous money whether they win or not. At least the players at other clubs on similar money are older and have delivered in their careers.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 09:47 AM   #1652
Starkers
Admiral

This isn't intended as a slight, or an insult because I do have a lot of respect for Wenger as a manager, but do Arsenal fans ever think maybe he has been there too long? I'm not an advocate for firing managers willy nilly but it is a while since you've won anything, despite clearly being a top four team (leaving Villa and Everton way behind in the end)

I dunno, given the financial situation Arsenal are in as opposed to the other three teams it might be that anyone but Wenger wouldn't do nearly as well within the same framework, I guess I'm just curious as to if the Arsenal board would ever consider getting rid of him?
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 10:18 AM   #1653
Hermiod
Admiral

^Wenger is untouchable. He does the best he can with the limited means at his disposal. Unfortunately, for every hard working professional like Fabregas or Clichy we get a lazy, thinks he's already made it type like Bendtner.

If we lost Wenger, we would lose his ability to bring young players through and we'd just sign whatever mediocre, overpriced players someone else could bring in with our limited budget.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 01:51 PM   #1654
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

I wonder if Wenger's shot himself in the foot by spending big (for him) on Arshavin. He's got quality, experience and character in abundance, and the difference is plain to see. Are gooners going to wonder why they can't have more players like him?
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 03:35 PM   #1655
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

I wonder if Wenger's shot himself in the foot by spending big (for him) on Arshavin. He's got quality, experience and character in abundance, and the difference is plain to see. Are gooners going to wonder why they can't have more players like him?
I'm wondering. Arshavin proves, like all the winning Arsenal sides of the past, that balance between youth and established talent is key. I think it is the lesson that is impossible to ignore from this season. I hope Arsene sees this lesson, and not blame it on the numerous injuries this season. The good news is, the difference between this team, and one that can win things, is a few key players in a few keys positions. And, of course, unloading players who no longer show the desire like Adebayor. Thanks for all the goals last season. Good bye.

Wenger doesn't need to leave. I remember the years before him too clearly to say something that mad. And replace him with whom? And at this level, there are very few out there who could guarantee success. And none I can think of who could put out a team that can play Arsenal Football, stay in the Top 4, challenge for the Champions League every year, without breaking the bank.

Arsene does need to learn a bit of flexibility with his youth policy.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 07:55 PM   #1656
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Fuck. Fantastic goal by Essien, but I really really don't want Chelsea in the final.
Old May 6 2009, 08:30 PM   #1657
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

Chelsea are more likely to beat United in the final, which is the one consolation for me. I won't watch the final though, just as I didn't last year.
Old May 6 2009, 08:41 PM   #1658
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Chelsea are more likely to beat United in the final, which is the one consolation for me. I won't watch the final though, just as I didn't last year.
At least Manchester plays football, I don't know what it should be called that Chelsea's doing.
Old May 6 2009, 09:35 PM   #1659
Roger Wilco
Admiral

YES!
Old May 6 2009, 09:41 PM   #1660
Iasius
Rear Admiral

I love it!
Old May 6 2009, 09:42 PM   #1661
Roger Wilco
Admiral

^^
Ballack was especially hilarious to look at.
Old May 6 2009, 09:53 PM   #1662
Jax
Admiral

I know theres plenty of Anti English sentiment when it comes to CL in this thread but Chelsea were robbed plain & simple, 4 100% STONE COLD pens and ref gives 0 (well 1 but he got it wrong by giving it a freekick). This is exactly why so many fans in England have an anti europe view to football this was a European Cup semi final and the ref was a joke (even the red card was not a red card).

Barca best attacking team in world my arse UTD will have a field day at this rate.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 09:53 PM   #1663
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

Hilarious scenes

This is what Chelsea deserved. They made little effort to win either match, despite Barca not being all they were talked up to be, and the away goal was always a possibility. They didn't take their chances in the second half, even when Abidal was sent off, and Drogba's antics across the two legs were pathetic.

Sadly, the Mancs will win in Rome without too many problems.
Old May 6 2009, 10:01 PM   #1664
Lord Prancer The 5th
Rear Admiral

Location: Mach5 doesn't like sand. It's coarse and irritating, and it gets everywhere.

As much as I'm appalled by this travesty, I'm still very happy that Chelsky won't be in the final.
Does this make me a bad person?
Lord Prancer The 5th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 10:04 PM   #1665
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Excellent - nothing beats a last minute tie-winning goal. Ugly, shameful scenes afterwards - Chelsea terrible losers, penalties or no penalties. Although at least John Terry's tears won't be plastering the papers this year.

Could be an amazing final now.