Mulgrew: Playing Red
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

IDW Publishing Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old May 21 2008, 10:33 PM   #151
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Aww, too bad. It would have been absolutely fucking hilarious if Ronaldo had been responsible for the defeat because of the stupid penalty-trick he makes every time.
Old May 21 2008, 10:35 PM   #152
ITL
Vice Admiral

Well, they did the double! I'm no great fan of Man Utd, but I'm happy for Ryan Giggs - he breaks Charlton's record for appearances, scores in the shootout, and is in a double-winning team. All in the same match. Nice one, Ryan!
Old May 21 2008, 10:37 PM   #153
Hermiod
Admiral

Oh well, congrats Man U. Keep it clean and don't drop it, we want it to look nice next season.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2008, 10:39 PM   #154
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Oh well, congrats Man U. Keep it clean and don't drop it, we want it to look nice next season.
You're a supporter of Inter Milan?
Old May 21 2008, 10:53 PM   #155
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

A decent final in the end, despite the concerns around another Man Utd Vs Chelsea snorefest.

Nothing in it really and I don't particularly think that either side deserved to lose. Unfortunate that John Terry missed a vital kick, I thought he'd been superb throughout.

Avram Grant showed great dignity in defeat and I was pleased to see him 'managing' Terry in the aftermath of the defeat.

50 years on from Munich, I guess it was written that Utd would win it. Bad luck Chelsea, but a very good advert of British and European football.
Old May 21 2008, 11:04 PM   #156
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Hey, if this game stays 1:1 until after the extra-time, an english team will win a penalty shoot-out, a historic event - at least something about this game would be extraordinary then.
No only England sucks at penalty shoot-out. English Clubs have won plenty of them.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2008, 11:05 PM   #157
Jax
Admiral

Now thats a proper final, a game of two halves indeed and a large slick of 1999 luck for Utd with the woodwork just like back then saving them twice. Extra time was fairly even and what a header by Terry to keep Giggs shot away from the goal but am happy Man Utd won for Paul Scholes especially.

Drogba is a complete fool and I think sealed his own fate concering his Chelsea future and I didn't expect Terry to miss but then again the same could be said for Ronaldo who needs to cut out tricks for pens.

I think its fair to safe Ronaldo can do it in the finals because his goal was taken very well and he troubled Essien all night long. I feel sorry for Rooney who was repressed by Fergies tactics though he made several excellent passes that reminded me of David Beckham.
Old May 21 2008, 11:15 PM   #158
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

NX_01 Mark wrote: View Post

I think its fair to safe Ronaldo can do it in the finals because his goal was taken very well and he troubled Essien all night long. I feel sorry for Rooney who was repressed by Fergies tactics though he made several excellent passes that reminded me of David Beckham.
I thought that was just bad tactics by Grant. I have cringed whenever Essien is being played at the RB. One his talent is clearly being the driving force in the midfield. Two he has very little defensive nous. Considering his quickness and pace he could've easily kept Ronaldo in his pockets just like what Ashley Cole does nearly all of the time. Fergie got it right by telling Ronaldo to stay on the left side. Look at the Barca game this year with Zambrotta shutting down Ronaldo and the Milan games last year with the combo of Oddo and Maldini which made him invisible. Why didn't Chelsea go out and get a proper RB this time.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Old May 22 2008, 07:04 AM   #159
Hermiod
Admiral

Hermiod wrote: View Post
You're a supporter of Inter Milan?
Hardly. I do wish Paddy would leave them.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2008, 09:50 AM   #160
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

I don't watch Football other than the World Cup and sometimes the Champions League, but I liked watching the game today. It was fun and enjoyable, even though it was long. I think my only complaint (And after reading about past snorefests) was that I wish there was more urgency. This didn't feel like the final game to win the big trophy. It felt like just another football game and could have been more memorable. I think if Terry hadn't missed that shot at the end and Manchester Utd would have lost on Ronaldo's really stupid looking PK (First time I've seen it and man did he wait way too long to fake out the goalie), it would have been.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2008, 12:18 PM   #161
Jax
Admiral

I wonder how Fergie can top this though I do know he wants one more FA Cup win before he retires and I think he will win that next season. I am not sure about next years PL though am sure Fergie will win at least one more before he retires and next year I think at least the Q/F.

Chelsea is at a crossroads but will come back strong though Arsenal have the potential to be Utd's biggest rivals.

Next bit of football action is ENGLAND vs. USA (next week)

Also I will start EURO 2008 thread on...(read below)!
Old May 22 2008, 04:40 PM   #162
Jax
Admiral

I couldn't resist posting this...

Old May 22 2008, 05:20 PM   #163
Roger Wilco
Admiral

That's not funny. The dramatics in this game should have been: Ronaldo misses and Manchester loses because of him.
The fact that Terry slipped, who was one of the very few likable guys on the pitch there is typical though.
Old May 22 2008, 05:55 PM   #164
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

The fact that Terry slipped, who was one of the very few likable guys on the pitch there is typical though.
ROFTL

Terry is likeable? hahahaha.
Old May 22 2008, 05:57 PM   #165
Jax
Admiral

Daedalus12 wrote: View Post
ROFTL

Terry is likeable? hahahaha.
Terry is a loudmouth arrogant fool