New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old April 15 2009, 02:32 PM   #1561
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile
Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Hermiod wrote: View Post
Apparently, one of the reasons they are so great is because they bring flags to games - says Clive Tyldesley as he ignores the hundreds of Chelsea supporters waving flags.
I think the point was that they are all given free plastic flags before matches to try and create atmosphere. That suggests that Chelsea officials don't think their supporters would be inclined to bring their own flags, as everyone else would.
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2009, 02:36 PM   #1562
Hermiod
Admiral

^I've seen supporters of many other clubs bring all sorts of stuff to wave during games - flags, signs, scarves, inflatable trophies, fireworks, fake £20 notes issued by the Bank of Russia with a crown wearing Ashley Cole on them, you name it.
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2009, 02:59 PM   #1563
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

HappyDayRiot wrote: View Post
I do my best to watch most ITV games on mute.
I like Clive and his passionate/over the top style even though he is very much biased towards all English teams in Europe.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2009, 03:40 PM   #1564
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

^I've seen supporters of many other clubs bring all sorts of stuff to wave during games - flags, signs, scarves, inflatable trophies, fireworks, fake £20 notes issued by the Bank of Russia with a crown wearing Ashley Cole on them, you name it.
So why the plastic flags from Chelsea?
Old April 15 2009, 04:04 PM   #1565
Hermiod
Admiral

^Probably because some fan association decided to hand them out. RedACTION do that at the Emirates all the time.
Old April 15 2009, 04:10 PM   #1566
Roger Wilco
Admiral

If stuff like that is paid for by the club (and I could see Chelsea doing that) it's rather embarrassing though imo.
Old April 15 2009, 04:11 PM   #1567
Hermiod
Admiral

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
If stuff like that is paid for by the club (and I could see Chelsea doing that) it's rather embarrassing though imo.
I don't know about Chelsea, but RedACTION are an independent group.
Old April 15 2009, 04:13 PM   #1568
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Yes, I understood what you were saying. Don't take everything personally.
Old April 15 2009, 06:42 PM   #1569
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

The Chelsea flags are distributed by the club itself, not the fans. I'm surprised you haven't heard of them before - everyone else has been mocking them along the lines of "plastic club, plastic flags, plastic fans", and not just Liverpool fans.

IIRC, they first appeared in last season's semi-final second leg, when Abramovich, or whoever was in charge, wanted to create an atmosphere similar to that at Anfield on the previous two deciding legs in 2005 and 2007. They had failed to fill their allocation of seats at Anfield in the first leg, and there was a feeling that they needed to generate a more intimidating atmosphere to help win it.
Old April 15 2009, 09:44 PM   #1570
Hermiod
Admiral

/makes the universally recognised "Bring It" gesture in the general direction of Old Trafford.
Old April 15 2009, 10:00 PM   #1571
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

Unlucky Monsieur Platini. Maybe next year eh?
Old April 16 2009, 03:42 AM   #1572
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Fuckin hell. I missed this gem live.

Reminds me of Seedorf's 100 mph screamer in Real Madrid though I think that one was about 10 or 15 yards farther out.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16 2009, 09:24 AM   #1573
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Third year in a row with 3 English teams in the SFs. If Chelsea knock out Barcelona then 7 of the last 10 finalists will have been English, and no English team will have been knocked out by foreign opposition for 2 years.

Even in the halcyon days of previous English, and then Italian and Spanish domination I can't remember anyone having it their own way this much.

Platini and Blatter will no doubt be spitting feathers. Look out for some hair-brained Blatter scheme to try and usurp us; "Anyone playing against English opposition automatically starts with a 2-0 headstart".....or some other such bollocks.

I had thought a Arsenal Vs Chelsea final, but now that United have edged through again I think it will be a repeat of last year's final again.
Old April 16 2009, 09:34 AM   #1574
Hermiod
Admiral

I don't buy that English teams, except Chelsea, are somehow so much richer than everyone else that nobody else has any good players. Foreign teams play a lot less games than us, too.

Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Bayern Munich etc all spend a lot of money on players yet they are out and Arsenal, who spend very little and often only take a small loss on their overall spending, are semi-finalists.
Old April 16 2009, 09:40 AM   #1575
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Angel4576 wrote: View Post
Platini and Blatter will no doubt be spitting feathers. Look out for some hair-brained Blatter scheme to try and usurp us; "Anyone playing against English opposition automatically starts with a 2-0 headstart".....or some other such bollocks.
As crazy as that sounds, that isn't even far-fetched for Blatter. Although I think he only says stuff like that to distract from the real issues FIFA faces, especially corruption.

I don't buy that English teams, except Chelsea, are somehow so much richer than everyone else that nobody else has any good players. Foreign teams play a lot less games than us, too.

Real Madrid, Inter Milan, Bayern Munich etc all spend a lot of money on players yet they are out and Arsenal, who spend very little and often only take a small loss on their overall spending, are semi-finalists.
Yes, the English clubs do have much more money than almost everyone else. But Porto is a better example - they really aren't that rich (in comparison), and yet the got very close to the Champion League finals again, I don't know how they do it.