Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old March 24 2008, 04:42 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Pegg Almost Said 'No' To 'Star Trek XI'

Simon Pegg had to work past his fear before deciding to commit to a contract for a possible three Star Trek films.

As reported by MTV Movies Blog, fear of commitment made Pegg hesitate to sign a contract for possible multiple Star Trek films.

"I said, 'What am I going to do?' I thought about it for a bit because you have to commit to a series of films and that puts you in a situation where the studio has some control over what you do," said Pegg. "I called up J.J. and I said, 'the idea is amazing but I'm worried.' And he said, 'what's the worst that can happen? We hang out every three years and make a fun film?'"

Pegg dropped a small hint about Scotty in Star Trek XI. Referring to two visiting friends, he said, "[They] both came when I was on the bridge. I felt pretty self-conscious." So it would appear that Scotty gets out of Engineering at least for some part of the film.

His portrayal of Scotty will be his own, not an imitation of James Doohan's work. "I didn't want to go in there and do an impression of James Doohan. His Scotty is so definitive. So I decided to just channel my wife's family and do something that was a tribute to him but not an attempt to ape him."

Pegg was unable to take away any souvenirs from his time on Star Trek XI with him. "I would have loved to have taken a phaser or a tricorder or even my Starfleet Academy ring," he said. "But sadly they hold onto that."

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old March 24 2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Pioneer
Captain

Re: Pegg Almost Said 'No' To 'Star Trek XI'

TrekToday wrote: View Post
Pegg was unable to take away any souvenirs from his time on Star Trek XI with him.
Evidently, principal photography for the Scotty character has been completed.
Also, no one would have needed to twist Paul McGillion's arm to get him to play Scotty.
Paul would have been a better choice anyway IMHBAO.
Looking to build Element #137 (Feynmanium)
Old March 24 2008, 03:23 PM   #3
T'Cal
Commodore

I want a Starfleet Academy ring, too!!
Old March 24 2008, 07:26 PM   #4
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

What does his wife's family have to do with Scotty?

This all sounds like a trainwreck in the making. Not that it will wreck the movie - Scotty couldn't have a large enough role for that - but I wouldn't be surprised if I walk out of the theater thinking, "that really kicked ass but they really need to recast Scotty for the next flick."
Old March 24 2008, 07:38 PM   #5
Harvey
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post

This all sounds like a trainwreck in the making. Not that it will wreck the movie - Scotty couldn't have a large enough role for that - but I wouldn't be surprised if I walk out of the theater thinking, "that really kicked ass but they really need to recast Scotty for the next flick."
Seems a little premature to make this evaluation myself. Actors do a lot of different things to get into roles, so without knowing more, and especially without seeing the performance, I certainly don't expect a trainwreck. And, regardless, I doubt they'll recast if they go ahead with a second and third film. They've all signed multi-film contracts for a reason.

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Old March 24 2008, 11:13 PM   #6
P0sitr0nic
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to P0sitr0nic

[quote=Temis the Vorta;1465680]What does his wife's family have to do with Scotty?[quote]

Could be her family might be scottish, hm?

Spouse: Maureen McCann (23 July 2005 - present)
Old March 24 2008, 11:38 PM   #7
firehawk12
Fleet Admiral

He needs to say that "Sure as eggs is eggs, sure as every odd numbered Star Trek movie is shit" line at least once... come on.

"How do you trust a nation that's invented Karate? They're standing there in their pajamas... then they kick you in the balls!"
Old March 25 2008, 12:29 AM   #8
Tralah
Wasting Time Until May 2009

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post

Pegg's wife's family is Scottish.

Honestly, I think Pegg could give an academy award worthy performance as Scotty, and some people will STILL to be complaining that McGillion should have gotten the role. It really sounds as though some people have made up their minds about this matter, which I think is a shame, but oh well.
Old March 26 2008, 01:05 AM   #9
D Man
Commodore

TrekToday wrote: View Post
Pegg dropped a small hint about Scotty in <i>Star Trek XI</i>. Referring to two visiting friends, he said, "[They] both came when I was on the bridge. I felt pretty self-conscious." So it would appear that Scotty gets out of Engineering at least for some part of the film.
Sounds like a rip-off of all the other Trek movies where Scotty spent some of his time in places other than engineering...
Old March 28 2008, 06:33 PM   #10
Tralah
Wasting Time Until May 2009

Heh, rip off of the other Trek movies? Seems like in TOS itself Scotty spent more time on the bridge than in engineering.
Old March 31 2008, 09:46 AM   #11
Aragorn
Admiral

Maybe someone close to Scotty will die and he'll bring the dead body all the way up to the bridge for no real reason whatsoever.

Tralah wrote: View Post
Honestly, I think Pegg could give an academy award worthy performance as Scotty, and some people will STILL to be complaining that McGillion should have gotten the role. It really sounds as though some people have made up their minds about this matter, which I think is a shame, but oh well.
Well duh! Self-fulfilling prophecies is a trademark of fanboys. You just quoted someone who reads something bad in everything about the upcoming movie.