Daedelus, ala April

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Captain Robert April, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

No, just a different operating system than you're used to. In this case, a ten-year-old operating system. Maybe you can find some used tutorials on MacOS 9 somewhere cheap.

Have fun.

2. Nightfall to-Ennien

Nightfall to-Ennien Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, in my experience Jaguar and Panther should run relatively smoothly, although I wouldn't go as far as Tiger, and they have a ton of shareware and freeware apps out there. Retail boxes of the earlier OS X releases can be acquired fairly cheaply.

3. Wingsley

It would be nice to run MacOS X, but it would be pretty slow on a machine that old. If CRA's iMac is one of the originals, it probably runs at less than 300 MHz. If I were CRA, I would nail down which model it is, go to the nearest Apple retail store, and ask the staff there which version of OS X would run on that model and which will not.

4. therealfoxbat

therealfoxbat Commander Red Shirt

As far as the canon status of the Daedalus class is concerned, the facts I have been able to locate are...

The NX class was replaced by the Daedalus class in 2161, shortly after the Federation Charter was signed, mainly because the Daedalus class was capable of warp 7. (One can only assume that the NX class was not able to be refitted with engines capable of warp 7 for some reason.) -- These Are The Voyages... (ENT)

USS Archon, USS Essex and USS Horizon were all lost during the period of 2167-2168. -- The Return Of The Archons (TOS), Power Play (TNG), A Piece Of The Action (TOS)

USS Essex was Daedalus class. -- Power Play (TNG)

USS Horizon was of the "sphere-milkjug-and-nacelles" design that is most often attributed to the Daedalus class. -- The Maquis Part 1 (DS9)

If Horizon was Daedalus class, then Daedalus, Essex and Horizon were all of the "sphere-milkjug-and-nacelles" design. There is no direct evidence in the video sources (one way or another) as to the appearance of Archon, Daedalus and Essex, so it's also possible that the "sphere-milkjug-and-nacelles" design was not the Daedalus class, but some other class operating at the same time.

If one considers The Star Trek Encyclopedia by Michael and Denise Okuda to be canon, then the "sphere-milkjug-and-nacelles" design is the Daedalus class, and all four ships were of that class. Personally, I consider data derived directly from the video sources to be First-Degree Canon and data published by Star Trek production personnel to be Second-Degree Canon (canon unless contradicted by First-Degree Canon data).

5. Wingsley

The Daedalus class is never mentioned in TATV...

Archer and Tucker toast to "the next generation", implying that Warp 7 either has been achieved or is about to be achieved, but this milestone is never directly linked to any starship or class of starship by name.

We know the NX-01 Enterprise is about to be decommissioned in TATV, after ten years of service. It is never made clear as to why, or what the fate will be of other NX-class vessels. Could it be that the ships will be dismantled and recycled into newer Coalition/Federation starships? Could it be their warp engines are no longer seen as modern? Could it be that Coalition starships on the drawing board/under construction will do more to accommodate integrated multi-species crews? It's never made clear...

Archer and Tucker seem to be pleased with the Warp 7 milestone being reached, but it is not clear as to whether Warp 7 has been simply briefly achieved or whether it has been practically sustained, or will be any time soon.

6. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

I would imagine that warp 7 had been acheived in pathfinder form for a few minutes only, as seen with warp 5 in 'First Flight'.

:rommie:

7. Wingsley

That's actually what I would assume.

In fact, I think it would be neat if Earth Starfleet dusted off the NX-Delta prototype (ENT's "First Flight") and used it as the basis for warp-fighterships and test vehicles during the Earth-Romulan Conflict, then as tech testbeds for prototype Warp 7 research about the time of TATV. The Daedalus may also have started out as a prototype, rushed into service for the war and later used as a basis for early Federation starships.

I assumed that the first Federation starships were on par with Vulcan ships of the era (Earth, Tellar and Andor worked together to catch up); the best of them could only sustain Warp 7.0 for several minutes. I would assume that future generations of starships would improve on this performance very gradually, and it would be until the Pike/Cage era that Constitution-class vehicles could reliably sustain Warp 7 for any significant length of time; that's why it was a big enough deal for Pike to annouce the speed when he decided to divert to Talos.

8. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm going under the assumption that the Horizon model we saw in Sisko's office was a conceptual model he picked up while in working at Utopia Planitia and not actually representative of the final design of the Daedelus class.

9. therealfoxbat

therealfoxbat Commander Red Shirt

I thought it would be easier to assume that the Horizon was from a different class than the Daedalus...

10. Captain Robert April

11. Captain Robert April

Bringin' this back to the foreground...

12. Captain Robert April

Not quite forgotten, just on the back burner for a bit.

BTW, I recently managed to snag a copy of Corel Draw 9. Any good?

13. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I use CorelDraw Suite (including the vector graphics tool, the bitmap graphics tool, and a plethora of utilities) pretty much exclusively for doing any 2D stuff (though I have access to Photoshop and a few other things). I bought a pen tablet specifically to use with this software (one of the pen-angle and pen-pressure sensitive Wacom models, the Intuos3 series).

I don't spend TOO much time doing this sort of thing (my "professional" stuff is in a whole 'nother field, so this is mainly a supporting tool which I also use "for fun"). But I've yet to find anything that I can't do in this software, or anything that's not as easy in this software as in any other I've tried.

I've used CorelDraw Suite 3, CorelDraw Suite 8, and now CorelDraw Suite 12. The main reason for upgrading from 8 to 12 was that 8 wouldn't open current-generation DXF or DWG files (essentially 2D autocad-format files), while the newer version does. I have no plans to upgrade at the present time... 12 does everything I need.

14. Captain Robert April

Good to know, thanks.

15. Captain Robert April

In other news, my previously pathetic Dell laptop now has wireless capability, and is doing quite nicely.

Amazing what you can find at the thrift store for $2.99. :techman:

16. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd assume, then, that you have a secured uplink, or have one hell of a good firewall in place?

I have wireless for my laptop but leave it turned off the majority of the time. It's amazing how many times I've been in an airport, using my wireless, and found someone trying to hack my machine. Most often in the "international" terminals, but it happens everywhere.

17. Captain Robert April

At the moment, there's not much on this thing worth hacking, but I have some safeguards in place.

And when I get in a location where the link to a secured network is better than so-so, I'll hook up there.

18. Captain Robert April

Shameless bump[​IMG]

19. Captain Robert April

Something I dug up recently...

[​IMG]

Originally conceived as a resupply pod that could dock with the ship, I guess it shows the original seed of the idea.

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Wow...

You made a ship I really dislike and made it worse.

Guess I'm part of the crowd that likes Jefferies' Daedalus.