Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old January 8 2009, 12:30 AM   #151
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Re: Daedelus, ala April

That is nice, judexavier, neck notwithstanding! BTW, I've been wondering, what software do you use?

Crap, I'd forgotten to post my take on this.

*runs away - to return when you least expect it!*

Ok, I'm back. Here's my take on the Icarus, NX-400, a quick sketch in Illustrator. As I mentioned upthread, this would be the successor to the NX class, circa 2170, the testbed for a hybrid warp seven engine based on both the NX and Daedalus engine setups that began at the time of the Federation founding, and was to be the more prestigious sister to the Daedalus. Ultimately Icarus would be a failure and six or less would have been built. In my thinking, warp seven would only be acheived with NX-1100, circa 2205. More on that later.

I'm torn as to whether the ship would have a vertical launch bay in the saucer- I'm thinking no right now. There would probably be a hybrid vertical/partial horizontal launch bay in the rear of the secondary hull, which would only additionally house the warp reactor and systems - everything else would be in the saucer. The 'platform' on which NX01's bridge sits would also be rounded and of a reduced profile, and I'm actually now thinking the catamarans would start just past the mid-slope of the upper saucer, instead of what I have shown here. I'll probably refine this, maybe finish it, but that's for another thread, I don't want to derail CRA too much.

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q

Last edited by Praetor; January 8 2009 at 02:52 AM.
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8 2009, 11:02 PM   #152
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

judexavier wrote: View Post
Kinda forgotten about this...
well, here goes...

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/g...edelus01-1.jpg

Kitbash of all sorts of things...notably the Kelvin-ish saucer, adapted STXI
lines, etc.

As much as this effort falls short, I still think your concept is intriguing, and hope to see more posted images.
I like that.

Work in a few more TOS touches (since I'm more concerned with bridging only to that point; the rest of the series can take care of themselves) and that'd do it.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9 2009, 01:39 AM   #153
Wingsley
Commodore

I have a question:

In this Akiraprise-meets-Abramsprise concept, what purpose does the "interconnecting dorsal" neck serve? It seems like wasted resources, since the nacelles and secondary hull are already connected to the saucer through the catamaran. I think Praetor is onto something there; maybe the neck evolved from the catamaran. (BTW: I miss Subcommander Tal) The only place I would differ with Praetor's concept image is the use of two pairs of nacelle pylons; I would use one. I might also suggest making the secondary hull smaller, although I do like the idea of the dish moving to there.

The only other question remaining would be whether the flight deck would evolve so quickly after the NX-class, or would it remain in the saucer... I have mixed feelings about that.
Old January 9 2009, 02:51 AM   #154
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Wingsley wrote: View Post
I have a question:

In this Akiraprise-meets-Abramsprise concept, what purpose does the "interconnecting dorsal" neck serve? It seems like wasted resources, since the nacelles and secondary hull are already connected to the saucer through the catamaran. I think Praetor is onto something there; maybe the neck evolved from the catamaran. (BTW: I miss Subcommander Tal) The only place I would differ with Praetor's concept image is the use of two pairs of nacelle pylons; I would use one. I might also suggest making the secondary hull smaller, although I do like the idea of the dish moving to there.

The only other question remaining would be whether the flight deck would evolve so quickly after the NX-class, or would it remain in the saucer... I have mixed feelings about that.
I can't speak for CRA but I know I've been toying with whether or not to put a neck on mine and frankly I'm leaning towards not for the reasons you've suggested Wingsley - it seems more likely that the neck would evolve from, in a roundabout way, to the catamarans.

It's my thought that this design would have engineering facilities and deflector facilities only relocated to the secondary hull niblet (with another deflector still in the front notch of the sacuer) and that there would be a plasma accelerator system similar to that found on the NX setup from secondary hull to catamaran to nacelles. I'm also thinking of moving the secondary back/shrinking it a bit to retain the drop bay in the saucer.

Apologies to CRA for hijacking again, I'll start up a new/seperate thread for this project shortly, I hate to steal his thunder..

P.S. - Don't worry, Tal's coming back. I want to make him an animated GIF before I bring him back, and I just needed a little change.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old January 9 2009, 02:51 AM   #155
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Seems like it would be a hassle to get to the secondary hull through the catamarans and struts Praetor. A short neck with a few stairs would probably not go amis.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2009, 12:27 AM   #156
Cary L. Brown
Rear Admiral

Praetor wrote: View Post
II can't speak for CRA but I know I've been toying with whether or not to put a neck on mine and frankly I'm leaning towards not for the reasons you've suggested Wingsley - it seems more likely that the neck would evolve from, in a roundabout way, to the catamarans.
I tend to think quite differently... this isn't some living thing, after all, and it's not one ship being refit, repeatedly, until it's much different.

It's far more likely, IMHO, that they'd just dump the catamaran concept completely at some point, not "evolve" from one to the other. For that matter, you wouldn't be "dumping" it permanently, or on every ship... and as far as we know, there were other ships at the time of the NX-01 that had a saucer and a secondary hull.

Every ship will be designed by people with personal tastes, as well as personal styles, after all.

And, ignoring those for a moment... the catamaran is either required by the design requirements or it's not. If it's not, it wouldn't be kept "just for evolutionary style's sake," would it?
Cary L. Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10 2009, 12:36 AM   #157
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Well, I'm thinking that ships with the catamaran have the 'supercharger' style warp setup that the NX and presumably others had, whereas ships with necks wouldn't. The 'supercharger' setup would be dropped when it would be discovered that an improved reactor sans 'supercharger' could be built.
Old January 10 2009, 02:14 AM   #158
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

My thinking is that they'd start off with the NX design and not really alter a lot of it, primarily because, with the impending Romulan War, they need ships and they need 'em fast, so not a lot of time for redevelopment. The bulk of the new design would be in moving Main Engineering down to the new secondary hull, freeing up space in the saucer for other purposes, and the new warp engines. An added bonus is moving that deflector to the front of the secondary hull (or keeping the original dish in the original location and adding a second dish to the lower hull).

As for the neck, that essentially covers up the old shuttle bays and is nothing more than access to the secondary hull. When I get around to front, top, and bottom views, you'll see just how wide that sucker is. As for the shuttle bay, that gets moved to the traditional place at the rear of the secondary hull after it's decided that the flight deck model works better than the drop bay.
Old January 15 2009, 09:44 PM   #159
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

To tie in with the other thread, I think this design would be the last hurrah for the escape pod concept for a while, at least until the Ambassador class (I don't recall the Excelsior class having any outwardly evident escape pods).
Old December 11 2009, 04:47 AM   #160
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

I'd like to get back to work on this one at some point.
Old December 11 2009, 09:04 AM   #161
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Well, it's not like there is any progress on your other project...
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2009, 04:56 PM   #162
Irishman
Fleet Captain

BillJ wrote: View Post
Wow...

You made a ship I really dislike and made it worse.

Guess I'm part of the crowd that likes Jefferies' Daedalus.
Jefferies didn't intend for that ship to be the Daedalus. Greg Jein made that connection. (I'm sure he wasn't the first).
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11 2009, 05:23 PM   #163
sojourner
Vice Admiral

^You realize you're replying to a post that's over a year old?
Old December 11 2009, 07:19 PM   #164
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Details, details...
Old December 11 2009, 10:27 PM   #165
Wingsley
Commodore

Captain Robert April,

Be advised, if you didn't know it already, that someone else is now developing an NX-derivative thread, this newer one being "Mirandized".

I say, "the more, the merrier".