RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 404
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Closed Thread

Old March 24 2008, 11:27 AM   #31
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Universal Homesexuals?

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
last but not lease, Hortas?
Both partners take each other for granite. They'll do anything to get their rocks off.

And a good Horta lover stays hard for a week.
Old March 24 2008, 04:09 PM   #32
Kpnuts
Commodore

I am totally in support of same-sex relations. Yes, I use to be homophobic. Well, to be honest, I was male homophobic, but female/female has always been okay in my book. I am old enough now to respect that we are all humans and this is just part of the human condition, so I'm cool with it I guess.

Ahhh the old, "male-male relationships are disgusting and wrong.... but I'm cool with female-female ones, they're all good cause they turn me on" pathetic hypocritical attitude.

Glad you've gotten offer that ridiculous attitude... sort of, it seems.
Old March 24 2008, 08:46 PM   #33
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Keep this on topic or I'll close it. If I close it, you're welcome to reopen it in the Neutral Zone, but, for it to stay here, you have to be talking about Star Trek (hence the forum, general trek discussion ).
Old March 24 2008, 08:47 PM   #34
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Kpnuts wrote: View Post
I am totally in support of same-sex relations. Yes, I use to be homophobic. Well, to be honest, I was male homophobic, but female/female has always been okay in my book. I am old enough now to respect that we are all humans and this is just part of the human condition, so I'm cool with it I guess.

Ahhh the old, "male-male relationships are disgusting and wrong.... but I'm cool with female-female ones, they're all good cause they turn me on" pathetic hypocritical attitude.

Yep..a double standard, I agree. But a good one to have!!! wink wink
Old March 24 2008, 08:53 PM   #35
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

There is no homosexuality in the Dominion!

Well actually there wouldn't be. Changelings are asexual and who the heck knows how they reproduce but my money is on the amoeba analogy. Vorta and Jems are deliberately engineered to have no reproductive ability, since that would be a challenge to the Dominion monopoly on their creation via cloning.

As for Dominion subject races, who cares what they get up to as long as they pay their taxes.

Bak_and_Blue wrote: View Post
Someone above made a good point. Spartan culture (if I'm not mistaken) and all of pre-Hellenistic greek culture had a strong homosexual element. I don't see Klingons as so far removed from a warrior ethos that would encourage a closeness where lovers would fight fiercely for one another in battle.
The fact that we've seen female Klingon warriors throws some cold water on that notion - the whole battle-bonding thing could be heterosexual (which wasn't an option for the Spartans) tho perhaps not exclusively. I can see Klingons having the attitude that homosexuality is just part of life, who cares anyway, it's more important to obsess about honor and sing drunkenly for hours on end.

Anyway, Trek has depicted homosexuality - sadly, it's been pretty juvenile, just the leather-lesbo cliche in the Mirror Universe (the Intendant, Mirror Ezri).

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; March 24 2008 at 09:06 PM. Reason: Mirror Temis is acting out again!
Old March 24 2008, 09:13 PM   #36
EnsignRicky
Commodore

EnsignJulka wrote: View Post
EnsignRicky wrote: View Post
Well, this was a big dissapointment. And here I thought this was going to be a thread about people who like to have sex with houses; Alas, I guess I'm still the only person I know who keeps a few copies of 'Better Homes And Gardens' under his matress.

Uh oh, it all comes out now....
Well I did try dating a nice little split level once. It didn't work out; I found out almost too late that she had shingles.
Old March 24 2008, 09:33 PM   #37
Kpnuts
Commodore

Yep..a double standard, I agree. But a good one to have!!! wink wink

Nope it's a childish and pathetic one to have, assuming you're being serious.
Old March 24 2008, 09:38 PM   #38
apostle83
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to apostle83 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to apostle83 Send a message via Yahoo to apostle83

Star Trek has had it's same sex moments. That passionate kiss between Dax and that woman was, well, hot. (Blacked out where I saw it in Mississippi). Then Kira/Ezri and so on....

But...what race do you think would never have same sex relations? Or is it universal. So, to be more to the point; are there gay Klingons? Jem Hedar? Hirogen? Breen? and, last but not lease, Hortas? (hmmmmmm...it would be like watching two pizzas going at it)

Robert
This isn't a flame, troll, or anything designed to be rude. I would just hope that by the time star trek rolls around, we're off this little fad of encouraging what I and many others consider to be sexual immorality.
Old March 24 2008, 09:42 PM   #39
StolenThunder
Poster

A number of these comments here are in no way related to the topic. Let us concern ourselves with the matter at hand.
Old March 24 2008, 09:47 PM   #40
Kpnuts
Commodore

As opposed to the mods ordering us what to do and trying to censor our comments, wouldn't it make more sense to allow the topic to expand SLIGHTLY beyond it's original premise, thereby promoting good discussion? The topic is about homosexuality, and that's what we're discussing. Could some trigger-happy mods, please take your fingers off the trigger just a tad? Sorry, I hope that doesn't sound harsh.

apostle83 wrote: View Post

This isn't a flame, troll, or anything designed to be rude. I would just hope that by the time star trek rolls around, we're off this little fad of encouraging what I and many others consider to be sexual immorality.
I'm not undestanding you, what do you mean by that?
Old March 24 2008, 09:53 PM   #41
StolenThunder
Poster

As opposed to the mods ordering us what to do and trying to censor our comments, wouldn't it make more sense to allow the topic to expand SLIGHTLY beyond it's original premise, thereby promoting good discussion? The topic is about homosexuality, and that's what we're discussing. Could some trigger-happy mods, please take your fingers off the trigger just a tad? Sorry, I hope that doesn't sound harsh.
I'd like to think that I'm not being trigger happy, nor censoring. In the past I've been particularly relaxed about allowing threads to spread beyond their bounds. I often find it makes them more interesting to read.

At the same time, topics like these can be subsumed easily by discussions already had a thousand times and we do have some responsibility to not always let the original discussion (or Star Trek in general!) become an afterthought.

Hope that helps clear up our behaviour a little.

Certainly the case that I'm taking this off topic now though so I'll shut up.
Old March 24 2008, 09:53 PM   #42
M
Vice Admiral

Oh boy ... I'm at a loss for words.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
Old March 24 2008, 11:09 PM   #43
Non-Trekkie Trekkie
Captain

Belar wrote: View Post

Why? Personally I think it's a completely rational view (Especially through our Trek eyes)...A person is allowed to have such views after all, and I find merit in both, equally...Rolly-Eyed-Guy attack (As is the case against those with his or her views are usually met), or not.

Personally I see the world of Trek ridding homosexual tendencies (Via genome and/or psychological altering, however you view it) like they most certainly would rid the tendencies of those attracted to children. After all, can't a case be made that one who is attracted to children is "Born" with the tendency? Or at the very least cannot control being attracted to children (As many of them state)? (And no, before the flames break-out, I'm not talking about acting on those tendencies which clearly cannot be compared due to the obvious adult-adult relationships in one and a potential adult-child relationship in the other).

If it can be treated, and like cancer has been eradicated on Trek, I think it will be, or would be, in the Trek universe. Or if a person choses to keep the tendency, they can...It's a Free Trek World after all.

Last edited by Non-Trekkie Trekkie; March 24 2008 at 11:27 PM.
Old March 24 2008, 11:17 PM   #44
Kpnuts
Commodore

You're joking right?
Old March 24 2008, 11:19 PM   #45
Kpnuts
Commodore

Non-Trekkie Trekkie wrote: View Post
Belar wrote: View Post

Why? Personally I think it's a completely rational view (Especially through our Trek eyes)...A person is allowed to have such views after all, and I find merit in both, equally...Rolly-Eyed-Guy attack (As is the case against those with his or her views are usually met), or not.

Personally I see the world of Trek ridding homosexual tendencies (Via genome and/or psychological altering, however you view it) like they most certainly would rid the tendencies of those attracted to children. After all, can't a case be made that one who is attracted to children is "Born" with the tendency? Or at the very least cannot control being attracted to children (As many of them state)? (And no, before the flames break-out, I'm not talking about acting on those tendencies which clearly cannot be compared due to the obvious adult-adult relationships in one and a potential adult-child relationship in the other).

If it can be treated, and like cancer has been eradicated on Trek, I think it will be, or would be, in the Trek universe. Or if a person choses to keep the tendency, they can...It's a Free Trek World after all.

Stupid fucking moron. And before any of the mods give me an infraction, this stupid little idiot has basically called every homosexual person on Earth, a 'mistake', one that needs curing. I hope you can understand my little outburst.

Comparing homosexuality to cancer and paedophilia? Grow up you small minded, pathetic little man. And I'd love you to say all that to my face.
Closed Thread