Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old March 18 2008, 03:59 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Moore Visits 'Star Trek XI' Set

According to Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine veteran Ronald D. Moore, going outside of the franchise for Star Trek XI was a smart decision.

As reported by The Watcher, Moore visited the Star Trek XI set recently and was impressed with what he saw and heard. "I actually got to go down to visit the set," he said. "I actually wangled a set visit that I can say nothing about, other than that I was very excited. It was really a treat for me personally. I was very grateful to J.J. [Abrams] and Damon [Lindelof] for making that happen. I saw the sets and thought the production design was just great. I just really liked the visual of it. And the vibe on the set was incredibly positive and very up. People were feeling good and confident and happy. It was really great for me. It was great to be back at Paramount and to walk into a stage where there was a Federation starship."

Moore felt that going into Star Trek XI with fresh blood was a good idea. "I think that was a very smart decision. God love all of us that did all the series and the movies during those years, but that's a long time. There were a lot of tired people. A lot of tired blood. And it's time to bring in fresh eyes to it all. I think it’s akin to when they brought in Harve Bennett [for the] 'The Wrath of Khan'. Gene [Roddenberry] had lived and breathed 'Trek' for a long time. He did 'The Motion Picture,' and 'The Motion Picture' is what it is. I certainly went to see it and loved it at the moment, but it was bloated and [had] overruns and there a sense of it not really finding its feet yet."

"Then they brought in Harve Bennett, who had no connection to the show, and [Nicholas] Meyer, who had never seen the show, and they reinvented it. They rescued the whole franchise. 'Wrath of Khan' makes all the subsequent 'Star Trek' projects possible. And I think that's where they are with the franchise now. They've brought in someone new, someone with no connection to the what's come before, who cares about it and says, 'Wipe the slate, let's make this version.'

To read more, head to the article located here.

Old March 18 2008, 04:20 AM   #2
CaptainJon
Captain

Re: Moore Visits 'Star Trek XI' Set

Good news! Ron Moore is very respected and admired in the Trek community, so if he says what J.J. Abrams and co. are doing is good for the franchise and likens it to the revitalization that was The Wrath of Khan, then I'm even more excited!
Old March 18 2008, 04:47 AM   #3
MattJC
Fleet Captain

I might have taken Moore's comments a bit more seriously, had he not helped in killing off Kirk.
Old March 18 2008, 05:27 AM   #4
nx1701g
Admiral

CaptainJon wrote: View Post
Good news! Ron Moore is very respected and admired in the Trek community, so if he says what J.J. Abrams and co. are doing is good for the franchise and likens it to the revitalization that was The Wrath of Khan, then I'm even more excited!
So sure about that (Look below) \/

MattJC wrote: View Post
I might have taken Moore's comments a bit more seriously, had he not helped in killing off Kirk.

Not Dead Yet.
Old March 18 2008, 05:42 AM   #5
James Bond
Rear Admiral

That's it I'm boycotting this movie!!!

Now, what's this thread about?
Old March 18 2008, 05:51 AM   #6
MattJC
Fleet Captain

nx1701g wrote: View Post
CaptainJon wrote: View Post
So sure about that (Look below) \/

MattJC wrote: View Post
I didn't say I hated him or his work, I just don't think he is the Trek Messiah most people on these boards think he is.
Old March 18 2008, 02:49 PM   #7
Morgan19
Commander

"Wangled"?

m19
Old March 18 2008, 03:07 PM   #8
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

I could listen to Ron Moore jabber about Trek all day. It's cool that J.J. gave him a peek at the set. Nice bit of respecting your elders, so to speak. Not surprising though, I know that Damon Lindelof is a big BSG fan. Good to see that the two smartest guys in TV (and hopefully movies) are talking.
Old March 18 2008, 03:18 PM   #9
RobertScorpio
Pariah

A agreed. Moore IS the messiah he is made out to be by Trek fans in the know. There are a certain population of TREK fans who don't seem to like the turn toward character driven episodes that RDM did. They just wanted phaser battles and ships that exploded. Well, if you want nothing but mindless space battles, then follow the herd mentality and pop in your Star Wars collection. Star Trek, with all its episodes and movies, is a universe of its own. And it certainly is at its best when its about people NOT warp drive engines. RDM did great!

Rob
Old March 18 2008, 04:18 PM   #10
AntonyF
Administrator

View AntonyF's Twitter Profile

I notice the other Moore quote was left out.

"But I just wish it was a bit darker... some robot rapes and cancer would go down a treat."
Old March 18 2008, 06:10 PM   #11
cubbie
Vice Admiral

^^

That was my first thought when I read the article, too.
Old March 18 2008, 06:39 PM   #12
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

I'm happy RDM approves. Let's just hope his approval doesn't = reboot lol.
Old March 18 2008, 07:22 PM   #13
MattJC
Fleet Captain

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
. Moore IS the messiah
No he isn't.
Old March 18 2008, 07:33 PM   #14
MattJC
Fleet Captain

Also, DS9 isn't the center of the universe. If it was, they would have made a DS9 movie by now.
Old March 18 2008, 07:46 PM   #15
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

That only proves that the universe is stupid.