New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 19 2008, 05:33 PM   #31
JD
Admiral

Re: Articles of the Federation [spoilers]

Woohooo, more Bacco!
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2008, 07:22 PM   #32
JeremyW
Commander

KRAD wrote: View Post
^ As I said above, we haven't seen the last of Nan Bacco, worry not..........

Sorry Keith...we're all just wacko for Bacco.

But now I'm excited as to where we'll see her next.
Old March 19 2008, 08:28 PM   #33
Sci
Admiral

JD wrote: View Post
Woohooo, more Bacco!
Yes She Can!
Old March 20 2008, 01:07 AM   #34
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

[quote=JeremyW;1451140]
groooooooaaaaaannnn....
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2008, 01:39 AM   #35
JeremyW
Commander

[quote=William Leisner;1452535]
JeremyW wrote: View Post
groooooooaaaaaannnn....
Finally, someone reacts.

And the long list of dumb, annoying, stupid yet classic Trek Lit BBS Jokes and one-liners continue. It can be put alongside such overused ones that are "NOT. DEAD." , Require any "ta'oq-ing" skills or have to be heard or read before reading Articles of The Federation.

Although even I doubt that Bacco jokes will ever reach such a state, it's a nice thought. (or fantasy....whatever...)
Old March 22 2008, 11:23 PM   #36
Sci
Admiral

Speaking of Articles of the Federation....

I was (as I am a geek) looking up the Wikipedia articles on the various capitol buildings of the world's states. And I came across the article on New Zealand's Parliament House in Wellington, and in particular the Executive Wing, which houses the offices of the Cabinet and the Prime Minister, and which is popularly known as the Beehive. I then looked at the Beehive's official NZ government page. And I immediately thought:

Hey, that's like a miniature version of the Palais de la Concorde!

It's circular. It houses the PM's office and the Cabinet on the top floor, just as the Palais houses the President's and Cabinet's office on the top floor. It has a large Banquet Hall, just like the Palais has the Hiram Roth Dining Room. The basement of the Beehive contains the National Crisis Command Centre, just as the basement of the Palais houses the Monet Room. There's also a television studio and press theatre, akin to the Palais's holoconfrence room.

I'm sure the resemblance is unintentional, but, nonetheless, I found the similarities quite striking!

ETA:

Reread the articles and I was mistaken on the Cabinet and PM's offices. The Cabinet offices are on the top floor and the Prime Minister's office is on the floor below it. Still -- close!

Last edited by Sci; March 22 2008 at 11:53 PM.
Sci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22 2008, 11:36 PM   #37
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

^ Completely unintentional, as I didn't know any of that stuff. Although it's possible Dave did -- he's the one who came up with the cylindrical design and the location of the Palais and put the president's office on the top floor and the war room in the basement. I added more details (like the Roth Dining Room and the exact location of the council chambers and the name "the Monet Room" and other stuff).

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2008, 07:29 PM   #38
Kirr
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sorry to ressurrect this topic from the dead, but I figured it was better than starting a new one for the same book. And I'm glad I found this topic anyway, because one of the questions I was going to ask was answered in the responses above.

I just finished Articles of the Federation - and really loved it. I decided to give it a go after hearing about (and getting excited to read) Destiny/A Singular Destiny and all the hints that this administration would be featured in it. Like the original poster, I'm only sorry I didn't read it sooner.

I was curious about a couple of things, the first of which was answered elsewhere - 'was Ross working for Section 31'? Was this plot point only revealed in the novels, or did this actually come from a DS9 episode and I just missed it?

I can tell the whole Zife/Ross thing happened in the 'A Time To' books, which I have to say really got my interest up for those books - I've just been overwhelmed by how many of them there are to catch up on. But maybe this will finally be enough to get me to try them. Is it really necessary to read them all, and in order, or are there more critical/closer linked books in the series?

Finally, I remember that originally KRAD was to write two novels 'A Time for War' and 'A Time for Peace' - but then those (titles as least) got merged together. I'm curious if Articles of the Federation was in any way part of the original plan for 'A Time for Peace' - it just kind of strikes me as fitting that title since that's what we're (for the most part) seeing in Bacco's administration.

Anyway, just wanted add my name to the list of folks who thought this novel was great.
Kirr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1 2008, 08:35 PM   #39
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

Kirr wrote: View Post
I just finished Articles of the Federation - and really loved it. I decided to give it a go after hearing about (and getting excited to read) Destiny/A Singular Destiny and all the hints that this administration would be featured in it. Like the original poster, I'm only sorry I didn't read it sooner.
Thanks so very much!

I was curious about a couple of things, the first of which was answered elsewhere - 'was Ross working for Section 31'? Was this plot point only revealed in the novels, or did this actually come from a DS9 episode and I just missed it?
It actually came from a DS9 episode, specifically "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges."

I can tell the whole Zife/Ross thing happened in the 'A Time To' books, which I have to say really got my interest up for those books - I've just been overwhelmed by how many of them there are to catch up on. But maybe this will finally be enough to get me to try them. Is it really necessary to read them all, and in order, or are there more critical/closer linked books in the series?
It's not "necessary" to read any of them. I'd recommend it, as I think it's a very strong miniseries, and it works better if you read them all and watch it all build to a climax. Having said that, if you only care about Tezwa and the Zife/Ross thing, then the last three books are the ones that cover that.

Finally, I remember that originally KRAD was to write two novels 'A Time for War' and 'A Time for Peace' - but then those (titles as least) got merged together. I'm curious if Articles of the Federation was in any way part of the original plan for 'A Time for Peace' - it just kind of strikes me as fitting that title since that's what we're (for the most part) seeing in Bacco's administration.
Well, I hadn't actually written a plot yet when it was decided to cut the miniseries from 12 to 9 books and make my finale a single volume, but several plot points that I originally intended to have in the duology wound up in Articles instead. But I can't really point to anything specific, more in terms of vague ideas....

Anyway, just wanted add my name to the list of folks who thought this novel was great.
Again, thanks!

Old May 1 2008, 09:50 PM   #40
Mike Farley
Commodore

JeremyW wrote: View Post
...we're all just wacko for Bacco.
Wasn't that her campaign slogan?
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2 2008, 06:13 PM   #41
TigerBait
Captain

View TigerBait's Twitter Profile

just gotta say that i loved this book, read it on the plane flight from london to chicago all the way through. it helped that my seat on the plane was the only one that had a broken movie viewscreen on the seat in front of me. side note, i did make sure to get the steward to reset my screen, only thing was, they had to reset every passengers screen, lol!

alas it didnt work and i got to read this great book
Old May 2 2008, 06:19 PM   #42
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

^ Glad I was an adequate substitute for the in-flight entertainment.

Old May 4 2008, 01:35 AM   #43
By-Product
Lieutenant

David Mack wrote: View Post
Dayton Ward wrote: View Post
^ I'll remind you that you said that when W starts his fifth term in 2016.
I just threw up a little bit in my mouth right there.
Then my cautionary post has served its purpose.
Lets just hope you haven't jinxed it.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, what were the circumstances that kept FDR in for four terms?

http://www.reallifecomics.com
By-Product is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4 2008, 02:26 AM   #44
Sci
Admiral

By-Product wrote: View Post
Dayton Ward wrote: View Post
I just threw up a little bit in my mouth right there.
Then my cautionary post has served its purpose.
Lets just hope you haven't jinxed it.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, what were the circumstances that kept FDR in for four terms?
He ran for re-election and kept winning. Though he didn't actually serve out his fourth term -- he died early on in that term and Truman served out the rest of it before being elected to his own term.

There was no legal prohibition against a president serving more than two terms; it was a tradition that had been established by George Washington and went unbroken until FDR. The Twenty-Second Amendment, setting a two-term limit on presidents, wasn't passed until 1951.
Old May 4 2008, 03:52 AM   #45
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

By-Product wrote: View Post
World War II, mostly.....