Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old March 25 2008, 06:01 PM   #31
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

Re: MLS 2008 - where it's soccer, not football!

Oh, the first of 2 MLS jerseys I was waiting for arrived today!

Yay!

Plus, the D.C. United jersey shipped on Monday - here's hoping it will be here soon!
Nerroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2008, 05:51 AM   #32
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri

Nerroth wrote: View Post
Oh, the first of 2 MLS jerseys I was waiting for arrived today!

Yay!

Plus, the D.C. United jersey shipped on Monday - here's hoping it will be here soon!
Awesome! I've got a TFC jersey from before the BMO logo got put on-- says "TORONTO" across the chest instead.

So you're getting one of the new DC kits? The stripeless one? I made sure to order one from last season because those three stripes across the chest I've always identified more with United than with Adidas. But apparently the team was told they could have a sponsor or they could have the stripes, but not both.

After watching the matches against Harbour View I thought the new one looked very plain, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. And the scuttlebutt is that Verizon is the likely sponsor for the shirt, and it will show up at some point during the season.
Ruaidhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26 2008, 10:49 PM   #33
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

New D.C. United kit - arrived today!

A few of the guys and I over at BigSoccer were wondering about whether it might be an idea to, in the interim before a sponsor comes on board, wonder if United might not go with showing the United for D.C. charity's emblem on their kit - in a similar, yet somewhat smaller-scale, pursuit of the example made by FC Barcelona (who show UNICEF on their kit, because the club are the ones who sponsor the charity!) - but then, I like it as-is.

Oh, and as a Philly fan, what do you think of this:

Night has fallen,
For the Sons of Ben...
They cast their minds,
to two-thousand ten...
And the culmination
Of their dream...
For a Major League
Soccer team...

On the streets of Philadelphia!

EDIT: Great news - looks like Saputo and Gillett are gearing up for a serious run at a Montréal MLS franchise!

Last edited by Nerroth; March 26 2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old March 27 2008, 02:43 AM   #34
Skywalker
Admiral

Both Toronto and D.C.'s jerseys are pretty slick. I like the idea of a franchise in Montréal--I saw in the article that St. Louis was also bidding for their own franchise. Maybe St. Louis and Montréal in 2011, following Seattle in 2009 and Philadelphia in 2010?

Speaking of the upcoming franchises, I hope they don't pick dumb names, like the early MLS teams had (and still have, in some cases). Names like we see in baseball, football, basketball, etc., just don't sound right on soccer teams.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2008, 02:58 AM   #35
Skywalker
Admiral

No activity on opening day?

I was at work for most of the Revs/Dynamo match, but luckily I got home in time to watch the last twenty minutes or so, and saw that awesome goal by Nyassi in the last minutes.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30 2008, 10:23 PM   #36
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

That last goal was pretty slick.

Opening weekend:

Columbus 2, Toronto 0 (sigh)
Salt Lake 1, Chicago 1
New England 3, Houston 0 (Well played, Revs)
Kansas City 2, D.C. 0 (double sigh)
Colorado 4, LA 0 (hehehehe...)
Dallas 1, Chivas USA 1

CCC semis start in a few days!

Also, while I am not exactly a massive fan of Ruud Gullit's crowd, I seem to be turning into something of an MLS collector, so I found - and bought - this today:

It is the only MLS jersey sold in Ireland, after all... and no, it's not a Beckham one.

Last edited by Nerroth; March 31 2008 at 07:09 PM.
Old April 1 2008, 04:29 AM   #37
Ruaidhri
Commodore

View Ruaidhri's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Ruaidhri

As much as I hate LAG, I have to admit it's not a bad looking kit.

I watched the TFC-Columbus game on Saturday, and must say that it looks all very familiar. Lots of scoring opportunities... wasted. I think they missed Ronnie O'Brien's playmaking, and I hope that Mo doesn't let this Colin Samuel thing drag on the whole season. The guy put a penalty right into the keeper's chest, I mean COME ON.

The new goalie looked alright, though. Hope he continues to play well and keep Sutton off the pitch.

Can't wait for DCU vs Pachuca tomorrow!

Vamos United!
Old April 1 2008, 03:32 PM   #38
The Habs Fan
Commodore

Ruaidhri wrote: View Post

I watched the TFC-Columbus game on Saturday, and must say that it looks all very familiar. Lots of scoring opportunities... wasted. I think they missed Ronnie O'Brien's playmaking, and I hope that Mo doesn't let this Colin Samuel thing drag on the whole season. The guy put a penalty right into the keeper's chest, I mean COME ON.

The new goalie looked alright, though. Hope he continues to play well and keep Sutton off the pitch.

Can't wait for DCU vs Pachuca tomorrow!

Vamos United!

I agree with you on Colin Samuel. I never liked him.

I thought Toronto carried the play and played very well, they were just a bit unlucky and failed to finish on any of their chances. Cunningham should have taken the penalty shot.
The Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2008, 01:30 AM   #39
Nobody
Blame me, I voted Obama

I checked around my TV schedule...not one station carried an opening weekend game. My future as a soccer fan is off to a great start!

-nobody
Old April 2 2008, 06:32 AM   #40
Ruaidhri
Commodore

Well, yet another MLS squad gets killed by the high altitude of a Mexican estadio.

United was just out of gas at the half hour mark against Pachuca, losing 2-0. The thing is, though, that it could have been so much worse. My first thought on Pachuca's first goal was that Wells misplayed it, but that was a beauty shot to the near post; I thought the player was going to cross it too. And Martinez just missed his man on the second one, off the free kick.

I just don't understand why Soehn had them playing such a defense minded game. They completely turtled in this match, didn't even register a shot on goal. It couldn't have been more obvious that they were playing for a draw, and Pachuca's back line didn't seem all that organized. I just wish they would have tried to hold some possession and work the opposing defense.

Based on the fact that they played a similar style game in Jamaica (successfully earning the draw) and then turned on the creativity at RFK, I think United can win at home, but can they do by two goals to force an overtime/penalties? Not so sure about that.

However, if Emilio can ever get on the same page as Fred and Gallardo, I think things will look very shiny for the remainder of the MLS season.
Old April 2 2008, 05:38 PM   #41
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

Ruaidhri wrote: View Post
If only they had more worthwhile players to fill the shirts. Watched the season opener on Saturday and have not seen such a woeful, uninspired display from the Galaxy in perhaps ... well ... ever, actually. After they went two goals down heads dropped and you could see them give up. Lack of quality aside, this is obviously a team already burned out from a never ending pre-season of parading Backs around the globe, not to mention LD and DB's useless midweek Euro friendlies. It also goes to show you what happens when you burn your salary cap on three attacking players (Donovan, Becks, Ruiz) - it leaves precious little money for quality around the rest of the pitch as evidenced in the mediocre and pedestrian midfield and old slow back line. Abel Xavier may provide experience, but his complete lack of pace is forcing him into making rash decisions and equally rash penalties. Teams with pace are going to run past him all day long.

Based on what I saw Saturday, the gap between LAG and the Revolution - or even Houston for that matter - is a big as any I've seen. It's going to be a long season.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."

Last edited by TheArsenal; April 2 2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: grammar is your friend
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2 2008, 10:57 PM   #42
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

Shame about United - it's an irony that even after flying back from Hidalgo, they will still have a proverbial mountain to climb next week...

...nevertheless, I hope they can shake off the early-season jitters, get their act together, and take the fight to Pachuca in RFK!
Old April 3 2008, 05:15 AM   #43
Ruaidhri
Commodore

Looks like Moreno will be fit for the return leg, but still no Ben Olsen. As good as MacTavish has looked (in spurts) so far this year they really need Benny's heart and leadership back on the field.

Steven Goff reports as well that Pachuca is going to have a deeper roster, too, so it's actually a wash or advantage to the Mexican side. Alas!
Old April 3 2008, 02:45 PM   #44
The Habs Fan
Commodore

Toronto FC has signed Laurent Robert and he's not even filling their DP slot.

It'll be interesting to see how he does in the MLS.
The Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3 2008, 03:29 PM   #45
TheArsenal
Rear Admiral

San Jose comes to the Home Depot tonight. Adding to LAG's problems: forward Carlos Ruiz had arthroscopic knee surgery Tuesday and will be out four to six weeks.

"F*** you! That's my name. You know why mister? 'Cause you drove a Hyundai to get here tonight. I drove an eighty thousand dollar BMW. That's my name."
TheArsenal is offline   Reply With Quote