RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,784
Posts: 5,217,496
Members: 24,217
Currently online: 739
Newest member: davestar057

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

 
 
Thread Tools
Old March 19 2008, 09:06 PM   #16
Dusty Ayres
Commodore
 
Location: ANS Yamato, Sector 5, Sol System
Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI

Turbo wrote: View Post
The edit button was disabled in here for some technical reason or another.

His human character will supposedly oversee a Starfleet courtroom event where young Kirk is facing expulsion from Starfleet.
Expulsion? *sigh* As much as I love the Nick Meyer movies, they gave Kirk this stupid hothead cadet image, when TOS implied just this opposite.
Worse, in the novel Best Destiny, he's made into being a JD who steals ships, and has to be straightened out by big daddy George. If he was like that, he would not have lasted long at Starfleet Academy, but would have been thrown out instead.
Dusty Ayres is offline  
Old March 20 2008, 06:53 PM   #17
Mistral
Vice Admiral
 
Mistral's Avatar
 
Location: Between the candle and the flame
Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI

Turbo wrote: View Post
The edit button was disabled in here for some technical reason or another.

His human character will supposedly oversee a Starfleet courtroom event where young Kirk is facing expulsion from Starfleet.
Expulsion? *sigh* As much as I love the Nick Meyer movies, they gave Kirk this stupid hothead cadet image, when TOS implied just this opposite.
What about "Shoreleave"?
__________________
...sf fandom is only a personality disorder if you do it right.-Klaus
http://www.adastrafanfic.com - archive stories! www.4rumboys.com for honest gaming

Mistral is offline  
Old March 21 2008, 03:40 PM   #18
cardinal biggles
Danny Donkey hates you
 
cardinal biggles's Avatar
 
Location: potrzebie
Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles
Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI

[quote=Pioneer;1442940]
Timofnine wrote: View Post
I'm an American and I've never heard of him either. So I looked him up on IMDB and I didn't recognize him nor any of his work. And yes, it helps to be a fan if you're going to be an actor in a Star Trek movie. I would say it's essential.
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Timofnine wrote: View Post
TrekToday wrote: View Post
.......and it's a good thing I didn't see the last Star Trek movie or I would have said no


Shame I've never heard of this Tyler Perry. Must be an American thing.
Lets just say he makes the kind of movies that give him no call to be huffy about Trek, even at its worst.
Oh, here we go again. This is the same sort of faux scorn & hatred you guys laid out on Keri Russell when an interviewer asked if she'd be interested in a role in Trek XI, and she replied "I'm not that nerdy!"

Get a life, people! Trek is not the be-all and end-all of the entertainment industry. Some people will think of it as "just a job" and not give two shits about 40 years of arguments about how you're supposed to align the dilithium crystals. Some people will want to become involved not because it's Trek, but because it gives them the chance to work with a director they admire.

We should be happy anybody wants to be involved with Trek at all, given that one appearance will sign them up for a lifetime of having this performance, their career, and any statements they make about the movie until the day they die under magnifying glass-type scrutiny.
cardinal biggles is offline  
Old March 21 2008, 08:47 PM   #19
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral
 
Brutal Strudel's Avatar
 
Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI

[quote=cardinal biggles;1457591]
Pioneer wrote: View Post
Timofnine wrote: View Post
I'm an American and I've never heard of him either. So I looked him up on IMDB and I didn't recognize him nor any of his work. And yes, it helps to be a fan if you're going to be an actor in a Star Trek movie. I would say it's essential.
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Lets just say he makes the kind of movies that give him no call to be huffy about Trek, even at its worst.
Oh, here we go again. This is the same sort of faux scorn & hatred you guys laid out on Keri Russell when an interviewer asked if she'd be interested in a role in Trek XI, and she replied "I'm not that nerdy!"

Get a life, people! Trek is not the be-all and end-all of the entertainment industry. Some people will think of it as "just a job" and not give two shits about 40 years of arguments about how you're supposed to align the dilithium crystals. Some people will want to become involved not because it's Trek, but because it gives them the chance to work with a director they admire.

We should be happy anybody wants to be involved with Trek at all, given that one appearance will sign them up for a lifetime of having this performance, their career, and any statements they make about the movie until the day they die under magnifying glass-type scrutiny.
Considering how much love Nemesis gets, you'd figure he'd get cheers for that comment. Russell's comment, however, struck me as gratuitously bitchy, especially considering that her only real talent seems to be the ability to grow long, curly locks.

Ehhh, whatever.
__________________
Once every lifetime, we're swallowed by the whale.
Brutal Strudel is offline  
Old March 21 2008, 10:28 PM   #20
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation
 
Alidar Jarok's Avatar
 
Location: Arlington, VA
Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI

ancient wrote: View Post
I don't see familiarity as a requirement for this kind of role.
I agree.

[QUOTE=Turbo;1437872]The edit button was disabled in here for some technical reason or another.

His human character will supposedly oversee a Starfleet courtroom event where young Kirk is facing expulsion from Starfleet.
Expulsion? *sigh* As much as I love the Nick Meyer movies, they gave Kirk this stupid hothead cadet image, when TOS implied just this opposite.[/QUOTE

Well, because they gave him that image, it's fairly legitimate that Abrams use it in the movie.
__________________
When on Romulus, Do as the Romulans
Alidar Jarok is offline  
Old March 22 2008, 12:40 AM   #21
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend
 
Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Timofnine wrote: View Post
TrekToday wrote: View Post
.......and it's a good thing I didn't see the last Star Trek movie or I would have said no


Shame I've never heard of this Tyler Perry. Must be an American thing.
Lets just say he makes the kind of movies that give him no call to be huffy about Trek, even at its worst.
What he in fact makes are the "kinds of movies" that succeed because they effectively address and entertain an audience that he understands and that enthusiatically supports his efforts.

It's yet to be demonstrated that anyone can do the same with "Star Trek" these days, although most of us are pretty hopeful about Abrams.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline  
Old March 22 2008, 05:24 AM   #22
cardinal biggles
Danny Donkey hates you
 
cardinal biggles's Avatar
 
Location: potrzebie
Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles
Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
Considering how much love Nemesis gets, you'd figure he'd get cheers for that comment.
I'm kind of surprised at that, too. If I was an actor and I'd seen Nemesis, I'm not sure I'd want to be involved in the next Trek project either.

Russell's comment, however, struck me as gratuitously bitchy, especially considering that her only real talent seems to be the ability to grow long, curly locks.
Rent Waitress. Trust me, her "snub" of a Trek role will not cause her to lose a moment's sleep. Like, ever.
cardinal biggles is offline  
Old March 23 2008, 05:34 AM   #23
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral
 
Brutal Strudel's Avatar
 
Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
Considering how much love Nemesis gets, you'd figure he'd get cheers for that comment.
I'm kind of surprised at that, too. If I was an actor and I'd seen Nemesis, I'm not sure I'd want to be involved in the next Trek project either.

Russell's comment, however, struck me as gratuitously bitchy, especially considering that her only real talent seems to be the ability to grow long, curly locks.
Rent Waitress. Trust me, her "snub" of a Trek role will not cause her to lose a moment's sleep. Like, ever.
It's not the snub of the role that bugs me, its the class-less way in which the snub was delivered. I'm usually part of the "We Trekkies Need to Gain Perspective/Grow Thicker Skins/Get Over Ourselves" brigade but that comment just seemed unnecessary.

And I gotta say, from the previews, Waitress looks like the type of indie film I usually avoid. You're right, though, no doubt she'll have a decent enough career.
__________________
Once every lifetime, we're swallowed by the whale.
Brutal Strudel is offline  
Old March 25 2008, 05:07 AM   #24
cardinal biggles
Danny Donkey hates you
 
cardinal biggles's Avatar
 
Location: potrzebie
Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles
Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
It's not the snub of the role that bugs me, its the class-less way in which the snub was delivered. I'm usually part of the "We Trekkies Need to Gain Perspective/Grow Thicker Skins/Get Over Ourselves" brigade but that comment just seemed unnecessary.
What's she supposed to do, kiss our asses and give us a lollipop? And it's a phrase I've used many times myself (usually when people try to get me interested in D&D or online gaming), so I didn't really see what's wrong with it.

Folks here really do need to gain perspective, grow thicker skins, and get over themselves.
cardinal biggles is offline  
Old March 25 2008, 12:12 PM   #25
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral
 
Brutal Strudel's Avatar
 
Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Re: Perry On Accepting His Role In 'Star Trek XI

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
It's not the snub of the role that bugs me, its the class-less way in which the snub was delivered. I'm usually part of the "We Trekkies Need to Gain Perspective/Grow Thicker Skins/Get Over Ourselves" brigade but that comment just seemed unnecessary.
What's she supposed to do, kiss our asses and give us a lollipop? And it's a phrase I've used many times myself (usually when people try to get me interested in D&D or online gaming), so I didn't really see what's wrong with it.

Folks here really do need to gain perspective, grow thicker skins, and get over themselves.
Ehh, if you say so. A simple "no" or "not interested" hardly qualifies as a kissed ass or a lollipop but I see where you're coming from, especially since I share your opinion on gaming and extend it to epic fanatsy, most mass media sci-fi and a good portion of Star Trek itself. Maybe if I'd seen her say it, with those huge liquid eyes and a laugh like the tinkling of wind chimes in a tropical breeze, I'd be willing to see it your way.
__________________
Once every lifetime, we're swallowed by the whale.
Brutal Strudel is offline  
 

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.