Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old March 19 2008, 02:55 AM   #1
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Life After Humans

There's been two specials I've come across over the last few months dealing on what would happen to our little planet post humans. The first was on Discovery back in, I think January or February the other was on NatGeo the other night.

After seeing them both, both which were great specials, I think I liked the NatGeo one better. It was a bit darker, talking about how our Nuclear Power plants would fail and it also talked about how relics on Luna would remain there for eternity.

Anyone else catch these specials? What did you think of them if you did?
Old March 19 2008, 03:37 AM   #2
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Re: Life After Humans

Never seen those specials but if you are interested in such subject then I recommend Last and First Men by Olaf Stapledon.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2008, 03:51 AM   #3
Icon
Lieutenant Commander

The world is a better place because humans are in it.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2008, 03:55 AM   #4
Unicron
Continuity Spackle

Send a message via ICQ to Unicron

Discovery also aired The Future is Wild at one point, which I taped because I enjoyed. It was about some possible evolutions of modern species, when the Earth's environment has changed significantly over time and humans (along with other current species) are extinct.

"My dream is to eat candy and poop emeralds. I'm halfway successful."

Catbert, Evil Director of Human Resources
Unicron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2008, 04:18 AM   #5
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Icon wrote: View Post
The world is a better place because humans are in it.
Errrr. No.
Old March 19 2008, 04:54 AM   #6
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

View Starbreaker's Twitter Profile

Sounds like something I'd be very interested in, unless there is 30 minutes of footage and 15 minutes of recaps for people who are just tuning in after the commercial break. I'll look for them online...
Old March 19 2008, 05:14 AM   #7
EnsignRicky
Commodore

I like the failing nuclear reactor angle. There's something comforting about knowing that we'll still be destroying the planet long after we're gone.
Old March 19 2008, 06:45 AM   #8
IJD GAF
Rear Admiral

I think you might be referring to The History Channel's program which I believe had the same title as your thread. It was an interesting special, but as much as I can ascertain, it's more or less a complete rip-off. There was a book out a year or so ago called The World Without Us which dealt with exactly the same subject. I've been meaning to amazon it for a few months now, but spare time is tough and I seem to keep finding other things to spend money on. It's a pretty good deal on Amazon though, and what I've read of it at bookstores seems hell of interesting.
IJD GAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2008, 07:06 AM   #9
Aragorn
Admiral

With disposable diapers becoming the fifth layer of the planet, everything will change.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2008, 07:39 AM   #10
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I sat throuhg most of the History Channel show, and to be honest, it just wasn't very good.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2008, 10:31 AM   #11
Bloodwhiner
Commodore

I saw the Nat Geo program and it was quite good. It traced only a few major cities though. I would have liked to have seen how some other structures would have fared - like the pyramidsl
Bloodwhiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2008, 10:45 AM   #12
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Bloodwhiner wrote: View Post
I saw the Nat Geo program and it was quite good. It traced only a few major cities though. I would have liked to have seen how some other structures would have fared - like the pyramidsl
The DISC channel seemed to suggest that although erosion would partially bury the Pyramids and Sphinx in sand and wear them away it's one of the monuments that'd stick around for a very long time.

Mt. Rushmore is a monument that'll also be around forever in some form. Plastic devices, like cell phones, though burried will be around forever. So if someone else evolved or came to Earth there'd be plenty of evidence of our exsistance even though all of our cities would be long gone after a few hundred years.
Old March 19 2008, 01:53 PM   #13
God Magnus
Commodore

View God Magnus's Twitter Profile

Whoa, while doing some googling I found out they actually produced a "The Future is Wild" animated series! http://kids.discovery.com/fansites/f...ureiswild.html
Old March 19 2008, 02:47 PM   #14
Christopher
Writer

I just got the book The World Without Us from the library and I'm in the process of reading it. The writing style isn't the best, and I think the author sometimes has too much of a political agenda (it's an agenda I pretty much agree with, but I think more objectivity and less polemic would be appropriate here). Also, it doesn't follow a linear chronology like the Discovery Channel special did, more like focusing on individual topics (like what would happen to an individual house or to New York City) and summarizing it over the long term.

Most interesting thing I've learned from the book so far: Ceramics are chemically similar to fossils, and thus should survive indefinitely. Glass is also virtually indestructible, and bronze and heavy cast iron structures can last a very long time. The Pyramids may be outlived by fire hydrants, so long as those hydrants are buried.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2008, 06:53 PM   #15
Mistral
Vice Admiral

Saw Life After Humans and it was ok but they kept repeating the CGI shots of things falling down. It got very annoying.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote