RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,678
Members: 24,827
Currently online: 521
Newest member: Sb118_James

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old March 12 2008, 02:32 AM   #1
Dayton3
Admiral

Is There Even A REMOTE Chance Of A New Trek Series?

A lot that I'm reading around seems to be that if the new Trek movie is a big success that a new series (some claim likely to be in the same era as the movie) is likely to be made.

Has this possibility even been mentioned by anyone at Paramount or anyone with any kind of input?

Or is this just some kind of assumption?

Seems to me that a very successful Trek movie would simply create the demand for another Trek movie as a highly successful movie franchise has a possiblity of being more profitable than a tv series.

And it takes what? At least 18 months from the go ahead for a Trek series to actually hit the air.

So even if the movie is a huge hit and a new series is made, we're looking at three years before we see a thing onscreen.

Has the possibility of a new series even been discussed yet?
Dayton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2008, 04:18 AM   #2
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles
Re: Is There Even A REMOTE Chance Of A New Trek Series?

As of now, it's just an assumption. Maybe things are being discussed behind closed doors, but nothing's been hinted at officially.
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
—Robin Williams, Live on Broadway
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2008, 04:26 AM   #3
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Some people still think a possible Titan TV series with Riker is on the table.
Lindley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2008, 04:55 AM   #4
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Some people think the long-awaited TNG/DS9/VOY super-mega-crossover is possible, too.
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
Old March 12 2008, 06:44 AM   #5
RobertScorpio
Pariah

Because of rights and royalties involved I entirely believe that a TREK TV show based on any aspect of any of the Berman Era shows is absolutely out of the picture. So, no RIKER show...no DS9/TNG/VOY cross over is ever going to happen. They will go in an entirely new direction and avoid anything to do with Berman Trek. That is how the business is I'm afraid.

Rob
RobertScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2008, 07:22 AM   #6
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

I think they'll wait until they see how the movie does before they even discuss doing another Star Trek show.
Old March 12 2008, 07:23 PM   #7
csullivan
Cadet

RobertScorpio wrote: View Post
Because of rights and royalties involved I entirely believe that a TREK TV show based on any aspect of any of the Berman Era shows is absolutely out of the picture. So, no RIKER show...no DS9/TNG/VOY cross over is ever going to happen. They will go in an entirely new direction and avoid anything to do with Berman Trek. That is how the business is I'm afraid.

Rob
Actually, because of the Viacom corporate split, CBS Paramount Television now specifically holds onto the rights to all the recent TV Trek properties (DS9, VOY, ENT) wheras Paramount Pictures retains all the film properties. Not sure about the TNG characters since those ones transitioned into the film licensing. But Berman definitely doesn't have ownership of the characters from those shows. CBS Par TV owns those characters. Sure Berman would get paid for future distribution of the episodes he produced. But if they chose to continue any new stories with those characters, they'd be totally free to do so.

I'm not saying I think that's the way they'll go. Personally I think they'll work something out with Paramount Pictures so that they can do some kind of TV offshoot of what's being done for the new film.

But there's no doubt they'll come up with something. And if they can't work something out with Paramount to incorporate aspects of the new Abrams vision - then there's a chance they'll dig into their Berman Era properties and give that whole world of Trek a facelift just as Abrams is giving TOS a facelift.

CBS owns all the TV licensing of recent and future Trek. So if they want to cash in on it - and of course they do - they'll need to come up with something. And once the movie hits next spring, I'd bet cash that they'll already have something quietly in development at that point.
csullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12 2008, 11:20 PM   #8
SiddFinch1
Commander

There are always possibilities.
Old March 20 2008, 08:53 AM   #9
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

I think if there is another Trek series, it might not be what people are expecting. It could be as a traditionally animated series aimed at the pre-teen demographic or a slightly edgier anime series (either way, Trekkers born before 1990, you may punch your retirement cards...now).

As far as live-action goes, because of the split between Trek's TV and film divisions, I think it's likely that such a series would probably avoid the timeframe of the new movies myself. It possibly could be a smaller production that we've seen in the past (fewer main characters, slightly smaller sets), but that's just kinda what I'd like to see though...
Old March 20 2008, 12:55 PM   #10
All Seeing Eye
Admiral

I think we should write a few letters out to important people about getting a new Trek series and we should write out a petition we can all sign and send it with each letter.

Who would we have to write a letter to in order to get a new Trek series, whos in charge of everything required to produce a new one?

We should also put a collection of ideas together to send with the letter such as characters, storyline, ship designs, new species and timeframe.

Last edited by All Seeing Eye; March 20 2008 at 01:04 PM.
All Seeing Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2008, 01:56 PM   #11
JayTheTrekkie
Captain

Send a message via Yahoo to JayTheTrekkie

Jack Bauer wrote: View Post
I think they'll wait until they see how the movie does before they even discuss doing another Star Trek show.
ya, thats the idea. They would wait to see how the movie goes first. If the movie went successful based on ratings...then yes, we would get a trek series for sure which could be awhile longer to wait as it takes a year to film a trek series and to have casting done, and so on.

Since the movie comes out in May 2009 (was suppose to be Dec 2008)..I bet the trek series will come around winter or fall 2010 or maybe not until winter 2011 lol
JayTheTrekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2008, 01:30 AM   #12
jayrath
Fleet Captain

If we want a realistic answer to this question, we have to think like bankers. There may be talk, but no real deveopment will occur until the new movie proves that there's still an audience for first-run material. If the move does well, I imagine that a TOS-era series might be considered (existing sets will amortize costs).

If it tanks, it will all go to sleep again, at least for a time.
jayrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25 2008, 02:42 AM   #13
ancient
Vice Admiral

The safest bet is another animated series, imo. Lucas (who regardless of creative issues is an excellent businessman) tested the waters of TV in this way.
Old March 25 2008, 03:45 AM   #14
bigdaddy
Vice Admiral

I think there will be a new within 2-3 years.

My only reason is The CW is screwed and needs something to be made that gets viewers. The Star Trek name can be that something.
Old March 25 2008, 05:16 AM   #15
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

The CW is a shitty network, and network TV is dying in general. Besides, nowadays it seems like all the good original dramas are on cable (particularly FX, USA, and HBO).