RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 141,375
Posts: 5,504,279
Members: 25,126
Currently online: 495
Newest member: Ted Dave

TrekToday headlines

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Star Trek #39 Sneak Peek
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 15 2008, 01:23 PM   #946
David Mack
Writer
 
David Mack's Avatar
 
Location: New York, NY
View David Mack's Twitter Profile
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

^ You're welcome.
__________________
~ David Mack | "Where were you when the page was blank?" — Truman Capote

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2008, 04:21 PM   #947
fleetcaptain
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Virginia Beach, VA, USA
View fleetcaptain's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to fleetcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to fleetcaptain
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Does anyone think that Book One will be released a week earlier?
fleetcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2008, 04:25 PM   #948
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral
 
Brendan Moody's Avatar
 
Location: Maine
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

fleetcaptain wrote: View Post
Does anyone think that Book One will be released a week earlier?
A week earlier than what? Trek books don't have set release dates. Gods of Night could start appearing in bookstores any day now.
__________________
Egg, I dreamed I was old.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2008, 04:34 PM   #949
Marco Palmieri
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
fleetcaptain wrote: View Post
Does anyone think that Book One will be released a week earlier?
A week earlier than what? Trek books don't have set release dates. Gods of Night could start appearing in bookstores any day now.
In fact, the author's and editors' advance copies are already in da house.
__________________
Marco

"Pessimism is a misuse of imagination."
Marco Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2008, 04:50 PM   #950
MHJH
Lieutenant
 
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

David Mack wrote: View Post
Future books in that series are unlikely to acknowledge the continuity of the trilogy.
Really? I'm sure you can't give anything away for spoilers and all that, but it seems odd that Peter David would implicitly ignore any of the grislier "Continuity Road Kill" elements you'd introduce. Obviously New Frontier's generally off in its own little corner of the galaxy, but it seems largely consistent with what the rest of the novel line is doing. Plus, with him writing an actual TNG novel just recently and his admittedly vast experience working within a shared continuity with his comics work, I'd figure he'd have no problem keeping his novels chugging along with the rest of the 24th century line.

Last edited by MHJH; September 15 2008 at 06:42 PM. Reason: grammar
MHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2008, 05:50 PM   #951
LightningStorm
The Borg King
 
LightningStorm's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

MHJH wrote: View Post
Plus, with him writing an actual TNG novel just recently and his admittedly vast experience working within a shared continuity with his comics work, I'd figure he'd have no problem keeping his novels chugging along with the rest of the 24th century line.
Except that large aspects of Before Dishonor and Q&A were somewhat incongruous.
__________________
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. (Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-68))
LightningStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2008, 06:04 PM   #952
Defcon
Rear Admiral
 
Defcon's Avatar
 
Location: Germany
View Defcon's Twitter Profile
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

LightningStorm wrote: View Post
MHJH wrote: View Post
Plus, with him writing an actual TNG novel just recently and his admittedly vast experience working within a shared continuity with his comics work, I'd figure he'd have no problem keeping his novels chugging along with the rest of the 24th century line.
Except that large aspects of Before Dishonor and Q&A were somewhat incongruous.
Although I don't understand why PAD gets all the heat for that. Since the books were written mostly simultaneously you could also blame KRAD equally. If you blame one author for it you have to blame both, yet the only one critizised is David.

But IMHO it's the editor's fault anyway when two books she wanted to be published back to back aren't "in sync".

P.S.: Don't get me wrong I actually liked both books, and don't see any problem with both authors having different takes on the characters, because I see both as standalone novels. Just playing Devil's advocate here.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2008, 06:11 PM   #953
MHJH
Lieutenant
 
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

LightningStorm wrote: View Post
Except that large aspects of Before Dishonor and Q&A were somewhat incongruous.
I'll grant you that some of the characterizations were a bit, well, off, but the general continuity of plot and circumstance is fine. It leans heavily on Resistance for it's initial plot thrust and continues on from there, even leaving the Einstein plot thread for the next book to pick up.
MHJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2008, 07:10 PM   #954
JWolf
Commodore
 
JWolf's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Marco Palmieri wrote: View Post
Brendan Moody wrote: View Post
fleetcaptain wrote: View Post
Does anyone think that Book One will be released a week earlier?
A week earlier than what? Trek books don't have set release dates. Gods of Night could start appearing in bookstores any day now.
In fact, the author's and editors' advance copies are already in da house.
Are the eBook advance copies in da house too?
__________________
Jon
JWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2008, 07:29 PM   #955
Marco Palmieri
Rear Admiral
 
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

JWolf wrote: View Post
Are the eBook advance copies in da house too?
Yes, but we call them manuscript files. They're usually Word docs, and unedited. I get mine from the authors.
__________________
Marco

"Pessimism is a misuse of imagination."
Marco Palmieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2008, 11:07 PM   #956
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Do the three main crews interact at all? The reason I ask is because so far, in all the excerpt we've read, they're each in seperate parts of the galaxy dealing with (apparently) different issues. Now I know there is plenty of time for them to get together, and that's why I wasn't just assuming they are spending the whole series apart.
__________________
They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance. - Terry Pratchett, Equal Rites
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15 2008, 11:57 PM   #957
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral
 
Trent Roman's Avatar
 
Location: The Palace of Pernicious Pleasures
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Defcon wrote: View Post
Although I don't understand why PAD gets all the heat for that. Since the books were written mostly simultaneously you could also blame KRAD equally. If you blame one author for it you have to blame both, yet the only one critizised is David.
KRAD created the characters. He's told us about some of the thoughts that went into their design. And his version is the one that was first released to the public.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
__________________
Obdurants and Amusings - Behind the Shampoo Curtain
Trent Roman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2008, 12:32 AM   #958
JWolf
Commodore
 
JWolf's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Marco Palmieri wrote: View Post
JWolf wrote: View Post
Are the eBook advance copies in da house too?
Yes, but we call them manuscript files. They're usually Word docs, and unedited. I get mine from the authors.
What I was trying to say without bluntly saying it, Are the eBook edtions of the Destiny Trilogy going to be released the same time as the pBooks?
__________________
Jon
JWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2008, 12:33 AM   #959
JWolf
Commodore
 
JWolf's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

For the Destiny Trilogy, would it be a good idea to read the Voyager Relaunch books first?
__________________
Jon
JWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2008, 01:15 AM   #960
William Leisner
Scribbler
 
William Leisner's Avatar
 
Location: Minneapolis, MN
View William Leisner's Twitter Profile
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

JD wrote: View Post
Do the three main crews interact at all? The reason I ask is because so far, in all the excerpt we've read, they're each in seperate parts of the galaxy dealing with (apparently) different issues. Now I know there is plenty of time for them to get together, and that's why I wasn't just assuming they are spending the whole series apart.
I believe Dave has stated before that Destiny is a true crossover, so you can probably assume more will happen than has been presented in the 3-4 excerpts released to date.

JWolf wrote: View Post
For the Destiny Trilogy, would it be a good idea to read the Voyager Relaunch books first?
God, no! What a terrible idea!!

JWolf wrote: View Post
Marco Palmieri wrote: View Post
JWolf wrote: View Post
Are the eBook advance copies in da house too?
Yes, but we call them manuscript files. They're usually Word docs, and unedited. I get mine from the authors.
What I was trying to say without bluntly saying it, Are the eBook edtions of the Destiny Trilogy going to be released the same time as the pBooks?
And I think Marco was not-so-bluntly telling you he has nothing to do with the ebooks... something I believe he has bluntly told you multiple times in the past.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
borg, david mack, destiny trilogy, novels, scotch

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 12:19 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.