New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 9 2008, 12:33 PM   #916
kc5hwb
Lieutenant

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Yep... under a rock called "World of Warcraft" LOL

I haven't been reading much in the past 6-8 months, really. I picked up Resistance at the book store over the weekend and started reading it, which has peaked my interests again. Hopefully I can stay current on this site this time. (I posted here a couple of years ago, but apparently they purged all those posts)
kc5hwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2008, 04:21 PM   #917
JD
Admiral

Trekmovie.com has posted their review of Gods of Night, and it sounds like it is just as good as everyone expected it to be.
Old September 11 2008, 04:51 PM   #918
bennyrex
Lieutenant

Man, I hope we see this in the stores soon. I just read the Unreality interview with Mack, and hearing about the themes that'll be explored in the books is getting me all excited again.

I mean, damn... this all looks like stuff I could really sink my teeth into, and the theme for the first book especially I always love seeing explored.

Bring it on, Mack! These next few weeks are going to feel very long.
bennyrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2008, 05:04 PM   #919
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

JD wrote: View Post
Trekmovie.com has posted their review of Gods of Night, and it sounds like it is just as good as everyone expected it to be.
My favorite "money quotes" from the review —
"Page after page in Gods of Night is loaded with outstanding narrative, story development, and personal touches that ensure that not even a single letter goes to waste. Mack’s alien creation, the Caeliar, is another ‘impossible for TV but possible in novel form’ race that allows us to truly explore the strange new worlds that all of us dream of at night. They are impressive, vast, and utterly alien, yet their philosophy is, in some respects, the ultimate dream of humanity."

"If you are a Trek fan that’s been avoiding the TNG relaunch, the DS9 relaunch, the Voyager relaunch, the Titan books, or any of the rest of the current crop of twenty-fourth century Trek literature, do yourself a favor: go get this book."
Sweet!

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2008, 05:11 PM   #920
JAG
Vice Admiral

Nice review. Dave, how are you feeling?
Old September 11 2008, 05:58 PM   #921
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

^ About the review, I feel great. Physically, so-so.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11 2008, 06:22 PM   #922
LivingDeadGuy

After reading all the reviews, excerpts, and other tidbits, I don't think I could be any more pumped up about this series than I currently am now.

I've got a backlog of stuff to read, but as soon as these come out, they're going first in my "Books-to-Read" queue.
Old September 12 2008, 11:37 PM   #923
JWolf
Commodore

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
JWolf wrote: View Post
I do think that if the CoE series was to come back, they would sll more. Epseiclaly if the pBook reprints were stopped. Part of the eBook problem is that we know that someday they will be released on paper. So those that want the books but not as an eBook wiull just wait. If there were no reprints, then I do think the sales would have increased for the eBooks.
I don't think the proportion of people who so desperately crave their S.C.E. fix that they would make the switch to electronic formats is greater than those who would just shrug and stop buying it. No point in killing your profits just to promote a format. That said, I'd actually be curious to know whether any given story has sold more per unit electronically or within the compilation.

As for the Destiny Trilogy, you'll find people that want to read it as soon as they can and did want the eBook editions won't be content to wait some unknown amount of time. They just get the paperback and read that. That's the problem with the eBooks coming out so late. Heck, get Pocket to hire me and I'll do the eBooks for the trek books and do them on time.

As for the Destiny Trilogy, more eBooks would sell there too if the eBook came out on time.
Now that's certainly true. You'd think with most manuscripts being electronic, it would be quicker to get the formatting done for the e-book than the physical copy. Just a question of priorities for the publisher, I suppose.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
The issue being that people that prefer paper books to eBooks know that all they have to do is wait and they'll eventually be able to purchase the paper editions. But if they only choice they had was the eBook editions, then I do think we'd have more eBooks sold. How much more, I cannot say. But the idea of eBook only lines is spoiled by eventually printing them. That takes away from the eBooks. I have a feeling, a lot of people who might be ok witht he eBooks will never know as they'll just wait and get them once printed. So if we are going to have eBook only Star Trek, let's go all out and have eBook only with no paper copies.
Old September 13 2008, 12:08 AM   #924
JAG
Vice Admiral

Cool, are you offering to buy all of us e-readers?
Old September 13 2008, 06:02 AM   #925
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

Oh noes, not the eBook argument!1111!

Don't make me whip out my Trek Lit "On Notice" picture featuring Stephen Colbert. You don't really want that, do you?
Old September 13 2008, 07:30 AM   #926
captcalhoun
Admiral

yes, it could stand being updated.

i motion for the addition of 'what do i need to read before Destiny?'...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2008, 12:24 PM   #927
JAG
Vice Admiral

Julio Angel Ortiz wrote: View Post
Oh noes, not the eBook argument!1111!

Don't make me whip out my Trek Lit "On Notice" picture featuring Stephen Colbert. You don't really want that, do you?

No I don't but I am getting bored of having ebooks shoved in my face in every single thread. I will more than likely say anything agin about it.
Old September 13 2008, 08:53 PM   #928
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2008, 09:11 PM   #929
captcalhoun
Admiral

YAY!!!
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2008, 09:52 PM   #930
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

Dayton Ward wrote: View Post
Did this actually happen or did someone photoshop it?
Dimesdan is online now   Reply With Quote