Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old August 19 2008, 05:45 PM   #691
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile
Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Earth is not destroyed; however, one of our heroes does suffer a nasty bruise on the upper right arm. To preserve a sense of suspence, we will not reveal whose arm receives the bruise.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2008, 05:48 PM   #692
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dimesdan

William Leisner wrote: View Post
Earth is not destroyed; however, one of our heroes does suffer a nasty bruise on the upper right arm. To preserve a sense of suspence, we will not reveal whose arm receives the bruise.
Bugger and I was so sure as well
Dimesdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2008, 06:19 PM   #693
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

tenmei wrote: View Post
Excellent excerpt. But I thought we'd heard the Aventine was a smaller ship - but she's got six hundred crew?
Seven hundred-fifty, actually.

Christopher wrote: View Post
I would assume it's because a capital ship with a crew of 600 is too big to be commanded by someone below the rank of captain.
That's part of it.

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
So why give it to Ezri? Why not give her a smaller vessel, such as a Defiant class? She has experience serving on them, after all.
Christopher's answer to this is spot-on. (He has read the trilogy, remember.) At the time of Ezri's battlefield promotion, Starfleet and the Federation are in a serious crisis mode. There is a shortage of experienced, qualified command officers. And there is little time to shuffle personnel across vast interstellar distances to fill open posts. Aventine was en route to the Gamma Quadrant when she needed to fill top-level jobs, and she wanted some people she was already comfortable with on her senior staff, so she recruited her DS9 comrades before taking the ship through the Bajoran wormhole.

Dimesdan wrote: View Post
Although this is only speculation on my behalf, but I'm assuming that Aventine and her class are larger than a Luna class (Titan's crew is 450 according to the competition rules in the back of Taking Wing) and could very well be almost be as large as say a Sovereign class
Correct.

I could be very wrong about this, but has the crew compliment of the E-E ever been revealed? Now I know the E-D was in the region of about a thousand crew members and the E-E was longer than the D, but, the E had a much smaller mass than the D, thus reducing the crew compliment accordingly.
Correct again. In the A Time to... books, the number was estimated at somewhere in the 840+ range.

Also from the except, although not safe to say, but it would be assumed that Aventine is a pretty powerful ship.
Oh, yeah.

Mr Mack, have you carried out any sketches of what she and her class look like, or will us readers have to construct our own design in our heads?
Nope, no sketches or designs, and I shied away from describing her too specifically, in case the editorial team wanted to commission artwork at some point. All I've said about the look of the Aventine is that it is sleek.

Another thing I've given a lot of thought too, and this is again, just speculation on my behalf, but given you are essentially mr death in the Trek Lit world and because a few people have speculated that you were going to go after Earth.
You think the Borg came all this way to not attack Earth? It's definitely on the targets list....

I think I will wait till I find out whether or not this happens, before I buy the books.
I have no words, only:

Christopher wrote: View Post
But it obstructs our view of Venus! And where else are we going to put that hyperspace bypass?
LOL!

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2008, 06:49 PM   #694
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

Great, first my property on Pluto's worthless, now I got to worry about the future vacation home on Europa.
Rat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2008, 07:12 PM   #695
JWolf
Commodore

JD wrote: View Post
Just in case you wanted to see them again, here's the cover for book 1, Gods of Night, and book 2, Mere Mortals. I love these covers.
Both links do not show the covers. Do here are the links for all three covers....

Gods of Night
Mere Mortals
Lost Souls
Old August 19 2008, 07:17 PM   #696
JWolf
Commodore

Would I be best to wait till all three Destiny books are available or should I read them as they come out?
Old August 19 2008, 07:32 PM   #697
LightningStorm
The Borg King

JWolf wrote: View Post
Would I be best to wait till all three Destiny books are available or should I read them as they come out?
One would assume that's a personal preference thing. I'm betting the people involved with the project would say it doesn't matter. Initial/release sales are usually kinda important to the entertainment industry so Pocket as a company probably wants you to purchase them immediately upon their arrival.

But ultimatelly your enjoyment of the books would depend on your own personal experiences. Do you tend to enjoy trilogies/duologies/etc better if you read them back to back? If so I'd say do it that way.
Old August 19 2008, 07:32 PM   #698
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

Okay, this is very very shiney

David Mack wrote: View Post

Correct again. In the A Time to... books, the number was estimated at somewhere in the 840+ range.

Oh, yeah.!
It's been a while since I've read the A Time to... and I must admit, I was going on memory alone when it comes to the differing sizes of the two most recent Enterprises.

Nope, no sketches or designs, and I shied away from describing her too specifically, in case the editorial team wanted to commission artwork at some point. All I've said about the look of the Aventine is that it is sleek.
That sounds like a logical idea, I'm guessing shes more of a battle ship really than an exploration vessel, do you reveal where she was constructed and when she was launched?

You think the Borg came all this way to not attack Earth? It's definitely on the targets list....
Not in the slightest, personally I would feel a tad let down if the Borg didn't do something to Earth. But have you addressed Earths defences or lack there of as they've always seemed a bit, well rubbish!

I think I will wait till I find out whether or not this happens, before I buy the books.
I have no words, only:
[/quote]

You could destroy every single planet in the Alpha Quadrant for all I care and I'd still buy the series, it would make no sense what so ever for the Borg to launch this massive assualt on the Federation and not have Earth and even the entire Sol System marked for extermination.
Old August 19 2008, 07:35 PM   #699
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

because a few people have speculated that you were going to go after Earth. Well I personally think Earth is TOO small a target, to really have the wide ranging implications that have been hinted at, I really wouldn't be surprised to find out that you wipe out the entire solar system as the long term effects of that for the UFP (we all know what is housed on Earth and it's star system in Trek so I won't list all the things which the UFP will lose) would be very interesting to read about in the post Destiny literature
I hope they don't destroy Earth. That would be just too cold-blooded. There are certain things you just don't do, and this would be about six of them.

I am reminded of Dukat and Weyoun in Favour the Bold where Dukat said that Earth is the key to the UFP, all resistance will originate there and if it fell, the population wiped out, the UFP would be easier to handle. Now, if Earth and it's star system is wiped out, it would lead to atleast two outcomes.

1) Essentially it would be like Paris in the second world war and how the Sclethan plan was meant to work in the build up to WWI and that was if Paris fell, France would crumble, so taking that and twisting it into a Trek context, the UFP would be screwed, there would be a vacum and with out Earth the UFP could very well splinter and be far more easier to destroy.

2) It would rally the other worlds and Starfleet into winning this war with the Borg at any cost, maybe even using techniques which may seem against the very moral core of the Federation, but they will be fighting for their very survival, and maybe the desctruction on the UFPs home system and seat of power would be that catalyst.

And yes it may be cold hearted too want the destruction of Earth, but as Ka Dargo said in Farscapes Constellation of Doubt, humans need to realise that maybe, one day, they will lose. It would also one hell of a curve ball as KRAD would probably put it.
Certainly would be. Mack the Knife destroys Earth, or if you take a close look at the cover for A Singular Destiny at least bombs the crap out of it. Certainly would set up some interesting storytelling possibilities in the future. Think of all the characters that call Earth home. Boothby, Ben Sisko's father and sister, the O'Briens (at least as far as I know). Heck, even a few of mine (current and future) live there. Imagine how jarring it'd be to know that some make it out alive and some don't. Families and friends snuffed out like that. Grab your hankies, folks, you'll probably need them sometime next year.
Rat Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2008, 07:41 PM   #700
Christopher
Writer

Up to you, but volumes 2 and 3 do have pretty thorough recaps in the beginning to refresh the reader's memory (sort of the text equivalent of "Previously on..." montages).

That sounds like a logical idea, I'm guessing shes more of a battle ship really than an exploration vessel, do you reveal where she was constructed and when she was launched?
Careful of those guesses...

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2008, 07:42 PM   #701
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

it would make no sense what so ever for the Borg to launch this massive assualt on the Federation and not have Earth and even the entire Sol System marked for extermination.
Perhaps.

But it's still a depressing concept to think about. Isn't that understandable?

Also, what about Daniels? Specifically, "Shockwave" (I and II). Isn't the city that Daniels is using as a base of operations, supposed to be San Francisco?

"Set phasers tae malky!"
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2008, 07:44 PM   #702
JWolf
Commodore

LightningStorm wrote: View Post
One would assume that's a personal preference thing. I'm betting the people involved with the project would say it doesn't matter. Initial/release sales are usually kinda important to the entertainment industry so Pocket as a company probably wants you to purchase them immediately upon their arrival.

But ultimatelly your enjoyment of the books would depend on your own personal experiences. Do you tend to enjoy trilogies/duologies/etc better if you read them back to back? If so I'd say do it that way.
I do plan to purchase them as they come out for sure. Just not sure of the best way to read them.
Old August 19 2008, 07:48 PM   #703
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

Rat Boy wrote: View Post
Mack the Knife destroys Earth, or if you take a close look at the cover for A Singular Destiny at least bombs the crap out of it.
Who ever said that was Earth?

I'm guessing shes more of a battle ship really than an exploration vessel, do you reveal where she was constructed and when she was launched?
You guess wrong, and, no, those details were ultimately not relevant to the story.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19 2008, 07:52 PM   #704
Dimesdan
Rear Admiral

it would make no sense what so ever for the Borg to launch this massive assualt on the Federation and not have Earth and even the entire Sol System marked for extermination.
Perhaps.

But it's still a depressing concept to think about. Isn't that understandable?

Also, what about Daniels? Specifically, "Shockwave" (I and II). Isn't the city that Daniels is using as a base of operations, supposed to be San Francisco?
I'm not so sure about the city in Shokewave being San Fransisco, but even if it was, why should it make any odds if it was, time is fluid, what has occured one second can be changed and then the next everything is different.

As for the destruction of Earth being depressing, I do not undertsand where you are coming from, given that Star Trek is fictional construct, I personally believe that the best course for the story would be the whole sale destruction of not just Earth, but the entire population, both in regards to the occupants of each planet and the planets itself. We've all read what Misters Mack, Bennet and DeCandido have said on the matter and that is, everything after will be affected by what occurs in these three books and I personally believe that the Sol System is the most logical target for that too occur as if it were Vulcan or Trill or Bajor that got wiped from the Galactic map, I don't think that such an out come would have the story telling possibilities.
Old August 19 2008, 07:55 PM   #705
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

LightningStorm wrote: View Post

I do plan to purchase them as they come out for sure. Just not sure of the best way to read them.
Dude.

Seriously, it's not that effing difficult. Read the books in the order they come out. First page to last, left to right, top to bottom. Repeat as necessary.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote