RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,700
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 690
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 27 2008, 10:18 PM   #436
Christopher
Writer

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
Nope. They destroyed a transwarp hub, one of several in the galaxy (EDIT: if the notes at Memory Alpha are accurate, there were six hubs in use at the time of "Endgame", leaving the Borg with five more). If the VOY-R asserted that the entire network went down, then it's just one more thing those books got wrong.
No, it's one more thing "Endgame" itself handled sloppily and inconsistently. There was one reference to the transwarp hub in question being one of six, but every other reference in the episode implied that taking out the hub would destroy, or at least cripple, the Borg's entire transwarp network.

Keep in mind that over two years pass between "Endgame" and Resistance. If the Borg had transwarp access to the UFP, wouldn't they have attacked much earlier?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2008, 11:03 PM   #437
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
No, it's one more thing "Endgame" itself handled sloppily and inconsistently. There was one reference to the transwarp hub in question being one of six, but every other reference in the episode implied that taking out the hub would destroy, or at least cripple, the Borg's entire transwarp network.
I saw Endgame recently, and I'm pretty sure it was 'destroy' for the hub, and 'cripple' for the network, which are two different things. At the end of the the episode, there were still five such hubs in existence; knowing what we know of the Borg capacity for self-repair, even if the conduits stemming from those hubs were disrupted by the destruction of the one we saw, why wouldn't the Queens governing the remaining hubs have restored them into working order, re-adjusting the interspatial manifolds or whatever it was?

Keep in mind that over two years pass between "Endgame" and Resistance. If the Borg had transwarp access to the UFP, wouldn't they have attacked much earlier?
Why would they attack at all? The Federation has nothing the Borg want; even the future tech Voyager deployed, the Borg quickly identified and was adapting to. Unless, of course, the entire Collective has turned into the boring Snidely Whiplash version of the Borg presented in Resistance and Before Dishonor, which I was lead to believe was an isolated incident due to that particular cube becoming cut-off from the rest of the Collective because the local transwarp conduits were gone.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old June 27 2008, 11:16 PM   #438
Christopher
Writer

Either way, the question is: Does the word "transwarp" actually appear anywhere in the Destiny blurbs that have been posted?

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2008, 01:13 AM   #439
Wowbagger
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
Yeah, I am aware of everything you said, and I know very well that they will be nothing alike. It's just that as I was watching the trailer those points jumped out at me, and I thought it was kinda funny that the two are even as vaugely similar as they are. I also realize that quite a bit of similarity was probably a bad choice of words and I apologize for using them.
"I love humans. They always see patterns in things that aren't there."

Seemed appropriate.
Old July 1 2008, 09:55 AM   #440
Tino
Captain

Dayton3 wrote: View Post
[...]provide a way to close off those channels or tunnels through subspace allowing the Borg to invade.

Thus ending the immediate danger and not altering the Borg significantly in case they need to be used again.
That's what I believe as well. I doubt Pocket Books will eliminate the Borg for good.

It's always more haunting not knowing when the Borg will return. You only know that they will.

Maybe the networks will be destroyed and it will take the Borg ten years to rebuild them. But you could always leave some stranged cubes in the Alpha Quadrant. They are cut of and lost, may build an own civilization (based on individual thinking) and may turn against their own at some point.

Gosh ... I can't wait for Destiny. :-)
Tino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2008, 12:17 AM   #441
BryanSorensen
Lieutenant Commander

Send a message via AIM to BryanSorensen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BryanSorensen Send a message via Yahoo to BryanSorensen

I cant wait for destiny either, i already pre ordered the Enterprise novel in the series. I cant imagine the borg are in that book, it would be unusual if they were around int he alpha quadrant again in the 21st century. So who knows what it is about! i still cant wait!
BryanSorensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2008, 12:34 AM   #442
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

If you're referring to Kobayashi Maru, it's not part of the Destiny series. Events in the book might eventually tie-in to the trilogy, since rumours point to a least one shared character, but it's also possible that the two will have no relation to each other.

Old July 11 2008, 02:39 AM   #443
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

^ It could be he was confused by the grossly inaccurate cover being displayed on Amazon for book one, Gods of Night. The placeholder art inexplicably features the Enterprise-era NX-01 fighting a Suliban ship — for no good reason, since neither is anywhere in the damn trilogy. This is one of those cases when someone at Amazon needs to be slapped vigorously until they learn not to put up preliminary catalog art and incorrect blurbs.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2008, 02:48 AM   #444
ATimson
Rear Admiral

David Mack wrote: View Post
This is one of those cases when someone at Amazon needs to be slapped vigorously until they learn not to put up preliminary catalog art and incorrect blurbs.
Or S&S needs to stop giving out incorrect information. The fault really lies with them, not Amazon.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2008, 01:26 PM   #445
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile

ATimson wrote: View Post
David Mack wrote: View Post
This is one of those cases when someone at Amazon needs to be slapped vigorously until they learn not to put up preliminary catalog art and incorrect blurbs.
Or S&S needs to stop giving out incorrect information. The fault really lies with them, not Amazon.
As much as Amazon sucks occasionally I agree here. Even if the final cover isn't ready yet when they publish there catalog, they at least should use something from the series the book is actually about, or just don't give out any cover to prevent retailers giving totally incorrect informations (like NX-Enterprise pictures on a 24th Century cover) to their customers. It's not Amazon's fault that S&S isn't able to use fitting placeholder covers for the novels in the catalog.
Defcon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2008, 02:23 PM   #446
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

^ You're both wrong. It is Amazon's fault for jumping the gun and lifting content from internal documents that are not meant for retailers, instead of waiting for approved official content from the publisher. The preview catalogs are created for S&S's internal sales force — not for the public.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11 2008, 05:46 PM   #447
tenmei
Fleet Captain

What's the point of putting covers and blurbs that are BOTH wrong on documents, though? Surely it's false advertising - even with a company - when the list goes round with information about this book being published and the only correct thing on the information is the title and the author?
Old July 11 2008, 06:34 PM   #448
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

^ The people for whom the catalogue is intended, the internal sales force, are well aware that the catalogue's descriptions are preliminary or placeholders. And it's hardly false advertising since the people concerned are S&S employees, not retailers or the eventual readership.

Old July 11 2008, 06:54 PM   #449
tenmei
Fleet Captain

I really don't get the point about why you'd put out something so innacurate - even just as an internal thing. What's the point? What do they gain from putting up a cover that doesn't match the book and a description that doesn't match the book either? Surely all the internal sales force would need to know is that there's a Star Trek tilogy coming out, when it's coming out and perhaps who it's by.

IF they need to know what the book is about then why not provide them with a cover that is passable to the period or a halfway accurate description of the novel (which, from all David's protestations, this isn't).
Old July 11 2008, 07:03 PM   #450
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
^ The people for whom the catalogue is intended, the internal sales force, are well aware that the catalogue's descriptions are preliminary or placeholders. And it's hardly false advertising since the people concerned are S&S employees, not retailers or the eventual readership.
But who would S&S's sales force be selling the book to?

That would be distributors and retailers.

It's disingenuous of Dave to say that the catalog isn't meant for retailers, when it's the very tool that S&S uses to sell retailers on buying Pocket's product.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote