Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 24 2008, 02:17 AM   #421
JD
Admiral

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

No, I meant totally different companies like Del Rey and Scholastic, not just different parts of the same company.
Old June 24 2008, 03:31 AM   #422
Julio Angel Ortiz
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Julio Angel Ortiz wrote: View Post
I think the Pocket Books catalog cover for Destiny book 1 is pretty funny, considering it features the NX-01 fighting a Borg sphere.
No, it features the NX-01 destroying a Suliban cell ship. It's a recycled image from a Ships of the Line calendar. A Borg sphere would be far bigger than that. Also spherical.
Ah, okay. I didn't look at it that closely. The point still stands that it was nothing close to the content of the book.
Old June 24 2008, 09:08 AM   #423
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

JD wrote: View Post
No, I meant totally different companies like Del Rey and Scholastic, not just different parts of the same company.
Simon & Schuster's imprints have the exclusive license for ST fiction and authorized guidebooks.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2008, 09:16 AM   #424
nx1701g
Admiral

^ Does that include new Trek though? Art Asylum has the exclusive for Trek Merchandise but when the new film was announced they gave the rights to new toys to Playmates while AA keeps the previous Treks.
Old June 24 2008, 09:18 AM   #425
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

nx1701g wrote: View Post
^ Does that include new Trek though? Art Asylum has the exclusive for Trek Merchandise but when the new film was announced they gave the rights to new toys to Playmates while AA keeps the previous Treks.
AKAIK, Pocket Books was confirmed as having the license for Star Trek XI, with IDW Publishing getting the related comics.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2008, 02:13 AM   #426
Dayton3
Admiral

Sounds to me like the Destiny trilogy is going to feature the Borg being stopped by yet another "deux ex machina"

Just once I would like to see the Borg stopped by superior leadership, tactics, weapons, and Starfleet simply managing to put large enough of a fleet against them.

ST: First Contact does not count of course. That was related to the earlier The Best of Both Worlds deux ex machina.
Dayton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2008, 02:23 AM   #427
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I would like to see the Borg stopped by superior leadership, tactics, weapons, and Starfleet simply managing to put large enough of a fleet against them.
Military tactics don't generally work against forces of nature.

And that's what the Borg are. A force of nature.
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2008, 03:49 AM   #428
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Dayton3 wrote: View Post
Sounds to me like the Destiny trilogy is going to feature the Borg being stopped by yet another "deux ex machina" ST: First Contact does not count of course. That was related to the earlier The Best of Both Worlds deux ex machina.
So would that make it deux 'deux'? If you're going to engage in empty criticism, at least spell it right. The word is deus. I'd expect you, of all people, to know the word for 'deity'.

Just once I would like to see the Borg stopped by superior leadership, tactics, weapons, and Starfleet simply managing to put large enough of a fleet against them.
Leadership is irrelevant. Tactics are irrelevant. Fleets are irrelevant. As for weapons - they will adapt. The only way to defeat the Borg is through the exploitation of the blind spots of a monolithic, mechanized culture - like BoBW did.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old June 27 2008, 04:05 AM   #429
Reanok
Commodore

I'm really curious about how the Borg will be dealt with in these books. And how does starfleet handle this crisis. And what kind of unexpected suprises David Mack is sure to have in store for the different crews after the books finally come out. I'm sure we'll have to expect the unexpected and it will be a rollercoaster of a ride to boot.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2008, 04:16 AM   #430
Dayton3
Admiral

Reanok wrote: View Post
I'm really curious about how the Borg will be dealt with in these books. And how does starfleet handle this crisis. And what kind of unexpected suprises David Mack is sure to have in store for the different crews after the books finally come out. I'm sure we'll have to expect the unexpected and it will be a rollercoaster of a ride to boot.
Given that the Borg are using tunnels through subspace or subpace corridors to get to the Federation and that the Borg destroy a Starfleet force of hundreds of ships sent to stop them in the 2nd book, it appears that the key lies in the "powers" of the woman who has been living among a group of aliens since the days of the NX-02 U.S.S. Columbia.

My thinking being that she will be able to provide a way to close off those channels or tunnels through subspace allowing the Borg to invade.

Thus ending the immediate danger and not altering the Borg significantly in case they need to be used again.

That said, no war is unwinnable.

The Borg could be defeated by conventional means and remain a terrifying threat with decent writing.
Dayton3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2008, 05:31 PM   #431
JD
Admiral

^Yeah, but where would the whole universe alterting event be in all of that.
Old June 27 2008, 06:40 PM   #432
Reanok
Commodore

Dayton3 wrote: View Post
Reanok wrote: View Post
Given that the Borg are using tunnels through subspace or subpace corridors to get to the Federation and that the Borg destroy a Starfleet force of hundreds of ships sent to stop them in the 2nd book, it appears that the key lies in the "powers" of the woman who has been living among a group of aliens since the days of the NX-02 U.S.S. Columbia.

My thinking being that she will be able to provide a way to close off those channels or tunnels through subspace allowing the Borg to invade.

Thus ending the immediate danger and not altering the Borg significantly in case they need to be used again.

That said, no war is unwinnable.

The Borg could be defeated by conventional means and remain a terrifying threat with decent writing.
Makes sense to me about the Borg and the fact they'd used the transpace hubs to launch their attacks. And the Woman and her powers to fight against the borg with Will Riker & the Titan it makes me curious how this series will change the different book series as well.
Reanok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2008, 09:31 PM   #433
nx1701g
Admiral

Old June 27 2008, 10:01 PM   #434
captcalhoun
Admiral

no, only one.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27 2008, 10:06 PM   #435
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

Nope. They destroyed a transwarp hub, one of several in the galaxy (EDIT: if the notes at Memory Alpha are accurate, there were six hubs in use at the time of "Endgame", leaving the Borg with five more). If the VOY-R asserted that the entire network went down, then it's just one more thing those books got wrong.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

Last edited by Trent Roman; June 27 2008 at 10:08 PM. Reason: More data
Trent Roman is offline   Reply With Quote