RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 411
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 17 2008, 12:40 AM   #346
Christopher
Writer

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Wowbagger wrote: View Post
You have, of course, information to which we do not have access. (I didn't realize you'd actually read the books... lucky you.) If you try to look at this from my perspective--a fan who won't read the books until autumn, and is basing everything off of "just a troika of 125-word cover blurbs"--I'm sure you'll see that I am not "cherrypicking" anything.
I see very clearly that you are. You singled out two or three general similarities and ignored far more numerous points in both works that were totally dissimilar. If you don't think that's cherrypicking, then you don't understand what the word means.

And why are you still arguing about this long past the point when it's blindingly clear that your initial assumption was in error? The mature thing to do is to acknowledge that error, let it go, and move on. It's silly to try to justify reasoning that's already been shown to have led to an incorrect conclusion. And it's a waste of time to keep debating it, so I'm done.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17 2008, 01:56 AM   #347
Wowbagger
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
And why are you still arguing about this...?
Irritation. I cannot stand illogic. But it's clear that you're only too happy to ignore anything in my posts that contradicts your claims and jump right to the unfounded assertions of motive (I forgot to compliment you on the clever implication that I was either ignorant or "deliberately trying to mislead others." Your talent shines even in insult). Which is all a shame. I think you're a neat guy, and wasn't trying to pick a fight with you.

If you're done, I'm done. Harumph.
Old June 17 2008, 08:45 AM   #348
Newspaper Taxi
Captain

You know, I'm seeing alot of Borgphobic remarks in this thread...I just wish people could get along. Sure, we may not understand their line of thinking and their "Add every civilization to their collective" philosophy but I'm certain some of our traditions must seem odd to them. Like golf. I think we need to be more accepting of our metallic hive-minded friends; they're people too, kinda.
Newspaper Taxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2008, 01:15 AM   #349
Stephen!
Captain

Captain W Riker wrote: View Post
Dax has probably got her own ship and crew
Maybe Sarina was correct that Dax was destined for better things ........

"The day she realizes that she's more than just the sum of her parts, she's really going to be something."
Stephen! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2008, 06:05 AM   #350
Mr. Laser Beam
Fleet Admiral

View Mr. Laser Beam's Twitter Profile

Newspaper Taxi wrote: View Post
You know, I'm seeing alot of Borgphobic remarks in this thread...I just wish people could get along. Sure, we may not understand their line of thinking and their "Add every civilization to their collective" philosophy but I'm certain some of our traditions must seem odd to them. Like golf. I think we need to be more accepting of our metallic hive-minded friends; they're people too, kinda.
It's not a matter of being "Borgphobic". It's more like "Having the Borg being used over, and over, and over, and OVER, and OVER"-phobic. Or "The TNG relaunch not coming up with decent villains so they have to drive the Borg into the damn ground with every novel that comes out"-phobic.

And the Borg are not people. That's the whole POINT of the Borg. They are a mindless, faceless, implacable force of nature. That's all they are. That's all they were ever meant to be.

In this case, the Borg were good villains to use on Voyager, because the ship would eventually pass out of Borg space. The Borg are, or at least were supposed to be, unstoppable. (Q Who, anyone?) So in order to win against them, all you can do is run away.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.

Last edited by Mr. Laser Beam; June 19 2008 at 06:21 AM.
Mr. Laser Beam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2008, 06:30 AM   #351
LightningStorm
The Borg King

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
The Borg are, or at least were supposed to be, unstoppable. (Q Who, anyone?) So in order to win against them, all you can do is run away.
And that idea died with Q Who. Although I'd venture to say that Q Who didn't show us any enemy that is unstoppable (except perhaps Q himself). The Borg in Q Who were just ridiculously difficult to defeat, and having not encountered them before the Enterprise couldn't defeat them there alone. Q caught them (intentionally) completely off guard and thew them into a situation that was unwinnable. The same would have happened if Q flung them into Dominion space, or any foe that is more powerful than they are, alone and unprepared.
Old June 19 2008, 01:09 PM   #352
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Newspaper Taxi wrote: View Post
It's not a matter of being "Borgphobic". It's more like "Having the Borg being used over, and over, and over, and OVER, and OVER"-phobic. Or "The TNG relaunch not coming up with decent villains so they have to drive the Borg into the damn ground with every novel that comes out"-phobic.

And the Borg are not people. That's the whole POINT of the Borg. They are a mindless, faceless, implacable force of nature. That's all they are. That's all they were ever meant to be.

In this case, the Borg were good villains to use on Voyager, because the ship would eventually pass out of Borg space. The Borg are, or at least were supposed to be, unstoppable. (Q Who, anyone?) So in order to win against them, all you can do is run away.
satire (n)
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2008, 04:03 PM   #353
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

Sorry I didn't read all the posts since page one, but one thing I'd say is I'm sick of the Borg too, but if a story is really good, then what I agree to do is bang my head on a wall so I forget everything since Peter David's Vendetta and then try and read it like it was new.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 19 2008, 04:06 PM   #354
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

^ Start bangin', pal.

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2008, 02:12 AM   #355
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

David Mack wrote: View Post
^ Start bangin', pal.
Way ahead of you!
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2008, 08:31 AM   #356
HIj'Qa
Fleet Captain

not enough time to read through all the posts . .

would Destiny be set in 2371, or overlap with Articles of the Federation in late 2370?

will there be an Annotations webpage ??
HIj'Qa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2008, 11:38 AM   #357
David Mack
Writer

^ You're off by about 10 years. Articles took place in 2380. Destiny takes place in multiple time periods, with the majority of the action in 2381.

As for annotations, I'd like to, but I just don't have the time right now to compile one.

Old June 20 2008, 11:41 AM   #358
Captain W Riker
Lieutenant

Any news on when we'll see the cover art for the books?
Captain W Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 20 2008, 11:57 AM   #359
DarkHorizon
Captain

Captain W Riker wrote: View Post
Any news on when we'll see the cover art for the books?
I would imagine they'll release them at Shore Leave next month. The cover for Mere Mortals was shown at NYCC, but wasn't released generally because, IIRC, Pocket wanted to release all three together.

ETA: Sorry for jumping in on you there, David...
Old June 20 2008, 11:58 AM   #360
David Mack
Writer

^ Not yet. It's still being produced. No word from my esteemed editors as to whether it will be ready in time for the Shore Leave convention July 11-13.