RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,706
Members: 24,834
Currently online: 496
Newest member: kamkaran

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 11 2008, 11:33 PM   #316
Christopher
Writer

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

I'll just say that you really can't tell much about the style and substance of a book from its cover blurb. It's like trying to judge a whole movie based on a 15-second TV ad. No, it's not even like that. It's like trying to judge a movie based on a written summary of a 15-second TV ad. Because you don't even get any of the dialogue or action or flavor of the story.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2008, 12:55 AM   #317
CaptainDonovin
Fleet Captain

View CaptainDonovin's Twitter Profile

EMH - I for one am hoping for some New Frontiers characters. Calhoun was in for only a short period in Before Dishonor but they were memorable moments.

I must admit to a bit of anti-Borg feelings as well however at the present the Federation really doesn't have a bigger enemy at the present, in the timeline of the books anyway. The Breen haven't been mentioned in a while if I remember correctly, the Tholians are doing whatever they do (though I thought KRAD mentioned them at the end of AOTF) and the Romulans are up to their pointy ears in their own mess so I imagine we get the Borg again. I do hold out though that DMack wouldn't waste his time on a simple storyline like the Borg are back

It will be interesting for me to see what he did with Hernandez. That's a long time to live.
Old June 12 2008, 01:23 AM   #318
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

Frontier wrote: View Post
TPTB over at Pocket need to let loose some details and/or tranquilizers to help us all chill.
I vote for tranqs.
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2008, 01:29 AM   #319
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

CaptainDonovin wrote: View Post
I must admit to a bit of anti-Borg feelings as well however at the present the Federation really doesn't have a bigger enemy at the present, in the timeline of the books anyway.
Bashir and Cole from Section 31 agreed to as much in Section 31: Abyss. They both felt that the biggest threat the post-Dominion War Federation faced was from the Borg. I wonder if that was deliberate foreshadowing or just a coincidence?
Old June 12 2008, 02:34 AM   #320
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

View Dayton Ward's Twitter Profile

William Leisner wrote: View Post
TPTB over at Pocket need to let loose some details and/or tranquilizers to help us all chill.
I vote for tranqs.
Only if they're in dart form, and I get to hold the gun.

Don't worry. I'll give folks a head start.

"tlhingAn HoL, Mother F*cker! Do you speak it?!"
Dayton Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2008, 02:53 AM   #321
William Leisner
Scribbler

View William Leisner's Twitter Profile

Dayton Ward wrote: View Post
William Leisner wrote: View Post
I vote for tranqs.
Only if they're in dart form, and I get to hold the gun.
Well, of course in dart form. You think I'm going to pin these freaks down, pry their jaws open, shove a pill down their gullet, and then rub under their chins 'til they swallow?

Don't worry. I'll give folks a head start.
Fatherhood's turned you soft, man...
William Leisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2008, 03:28 AM   #322
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

^ Actually, I was hoping for the opportunity to check my marksmanship. Been a while, and all that, and moving targets are more fun.

Old June 12 2008, 12:26 PM   #323
danjamesb
Commander

Christopher wrote: View Post
I'll just say that you really can't tell much about the style and substance of a book from its cover blurb.
No, quite right.

But people will judge it on the blurb - if they're browsing Amazon, or if they read the cover in a bookstore, the blurb is normally all they have to base their opinions on - and if they react in the same way as some people here, they're probably not going to buy it.

The reactions in this thread won't necessarily represent the whole readership, and there's probably a lot more to this trilogy than the summaries make clear, but people's impressions of the blurb do matter.

And it certainly isn't enthusing me.
danjamesb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 12 2008, 08:52 PM   #324
JD
Admiral

Yeah, but you have to remember, there is a pretty good chance that those aren't the final blurbs.
Old June 13 2008, 12:23 AM   #325
Wowbagger
Fleet Captain

JD wrote: View Post
Yeah, but you have to remember, there is a pretty good chance that those aren't the final blurbs.
Even if they are, it might not matter. Remember the back covers for The Janus Gate trilogy?

Regarding the Destiny revelations: I'm not judging anything until I have a copy of the first book in my hands, so don't take this as a slam, but does anybody else notice the close parallels to the plot of Star Trek: Armada II? It's eerie, really.
Old June 13 2008, 01:47 AM   #326
Deano2099
Commander

TrekkieBez wrote: View Post
But people will judge it on the blurb - if they're browsing Amazon, or if they read the cover in a bookstore, the blurb is normally all they have to base their opinions on - and if they react in the same way as some people here, they're probably not going to buy it.
Yup. And I'm pretty sure the marketing people know that. And your average reader browsing in a bookstore who doesn't follow every book released will probably go "Cool, Borg, awesome!". They're a hugely popular villain with casual Trek fans - they were popular when TNG first launched them, and were still popular by the time of First Contact (which out-grossed the other TNG movies easily).
The Borg are popular. Just because us lot are bored of them or find them one-dimensional, doesn't mean they won't sell books.
Deano2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2008, 02:18 AM   #327
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

Deano2099 wrote: View Post
Just because us lot are bored of them or find them one-dimensional, doesn't mean they won't sell books.
It doesn't mean that they will, either. One can project just about any reaction onto the (probably real but largely hypothetical) "casual reader," and without access to private sales figures there's not even an imprecise way of knowing whether that judgment is justified. Even if people liked the Borg in 1989 or 1996, we can't tell how they feel in 2008, when the last television appearance of the Borg five years ago got the same mediocre ratings as other Star Trek episodes aired at the time.
Old June 13 2008, 02:55 AM   #328
Christopher
Writer

Wowbagger wrote: View Post
Regarding the Destiny revelations: I'm not judging anything until I have a copy of the first book in my hands, so don't take this as a slam, but does anybody else notice the close parallels to the plot of Star Trek: Armada II? It's eerie, really.
If you strip a description down to the bare essentials and leave out all the crucial details, you can make almost any two things sound similar. "Crash survivors stranded on a Pacific island where bizarre phenomena occur and escape seems impossible" could describe Gilligan's Island as well as Lost.

I only see a superficial similarity between those cover blurbs and the Armada II description on Memory Alpha. The only thing they have in common is a Borg invasion via an unidentified access point which has some connection to a nebula. Everything else is completely different. That's not anywhere near being an eerily close parallel.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13 2008, 03:16 AM   #329
Dayton Ward
Word Pusher

I renew the call for tranquilizers.

Old June 13 2008, 05:06 AM   #330
Wowbagger
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
Wowbagger wrote: View Post
If you strip a description down to the bare essentials and leave out all the crucial details, you can make almost any two things sound similar. "Crash survivors stranded on a Pacific island where bizarre phenomena occur and escape seems impossible" could describe Gilligan's Island as well as Lost.
Hence all the jokes about Gilligan's Island and the Lost island being the same. The similarity of the premise of the two shows has been noted many, many times.

"Borg attack the Alpha Quadrant through a secret passageway in a nebula, only to be found out by Captain Picard and the crew of the Enterprise, which leads a massive Federation counterattack in the Delta Quadrant that fails against the strength of several hundred Borg Cubes, leading (albeit indirectly) to a virtually unopposed assault on the entire Alpha Quadrant by the Borg" is a damn sight closer to Destiny's blurb than, say, Coronation Street's.

I suppose the definition of "eerie" is up to you, but parallel? Heck, yeah.

I do expect Mr. Mack's dialogue will be rather better than Activision's.