Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old June 10 2008, 12:28 PM   #301
Will Lucky
Ensign

Re: Destiny trilogy - pretty heavy spoilers

Christopher wrote: View Post
Will Lucky wrote: View Post
So I'm taking a guess this means the 5th Titan book wont have them exploring the galaxy anymore...
What is there in the blurbs that leads you to that conclusion?
Well it says in the final blurb the 3 captains will be uniting against the Borg threat, I see that as Riker leaving the Nebula they were exploring unless Dax and Picard head there.
Will Lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2008, 12:40 PM   #302
Brendan Moody
Vice Admiral

^
And the reason you think he couldn't head right back to exploration after Destiny and before the fifth Titan book is...
Old June 10 2008, 10:16 PM   #303
nx1701g
Admiral

Captain W Riker wrote: View Post
While I'm excited about this trilogy, I hope Hernandez doesn't defeat the Borg, or just wish them away or something with these powers that are mentioned.
Maybe she's become a Dowud...
Old June 10 2008, 10:34 PM   #304
kimc
Coffee Mod

So far I've read nothing that interests me about this trilogy. I'm really sick of the borg and you don't want to get me started on what was done to Janeway!

kimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2008, 10:59 PM   #305
D Man
Commodore

Janeway's "death" was kind of open-ended, IMO. I think she'll be back in some form.
Old June 11 2008, 02:56 AM   #306
Deano2099
Commander

JoeZhang wrote: View Post
The problem with the borg is frequency - we get so few TNG books, that to have the relaunch go down a "all borg, all of the time" road is a deadend for many of us - we are just not interested in the borg, regardless of how voyager used them. If they were spilit over a couple of years with non-borg stories, I doubt many of us would be bothered.
There have been 4 TNG relaunch books so far, a 5th coming soon. Of those, 3 are Borg-centric (though we don't know to what extent GTTS is). Slight bias there admittedly but there's also been other stuff. Obviously if you count the 3 Destiny books as TNG then it's 6 of 8 which is a lot heavier. But if you throw in the 3 Destiny books that's 7 TNG books in 16 months which sort of makes "we get so few TNG books" look a bit silly.

I agree the Borg can be a little dull compared to the other races but maybe Destiny will be the series that makes them interesting, that adds in another layer. I'd have to agree that if it is just another 'Borg invade, Borg get fought off' story then it's going to suck, since I can't see any way to make that work in a trilogy. But I'd credit the editors and authors at Pocket knowing that too.

Of course, the trilogy might still suck. We don't know yet. It might also be the best Trek trilogy ever. I'll probably decide whether or not to buy it when the reviews come it. The other handy thing, of course, is that the books are available on Amazon for years after they come out, so if you are bored of the Borg then, as you say, you can go read something else and pick them up in a year or so.

I'm just reminded of many, many years ago when I picked up a copy of Imzadi second-hand. I was young, I didn't care at all for for the Riker/Troi romance plot, it bored me to tears. But it was the only Trek book the guy on the market-stall had and I was out, so I reluctantly bought it and started reading it. It was one of the greatest Trek novels ever.
Deano2099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2008, 03:06 AM   #307
Jack Bauer
Fleet Admiral

David Mack hasn't let me down yet so I think odds are he won't again with Destiny.
Old June 11 2008, 04:21 AM   #308
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

nx1701g wrote: View Post
While I'm excited about this trilogy, I hope Hernandez doesn't defeat the Borg, or just wish them away or something with these powers that are mentioned.
Maybe she's become a Dowud...
Or she was one all along. If so, she'd never tell anyone (not even Archer)...
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2008, 02:52 PM   #309
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Boy, I hope she does. Forever.
Old June 11 2008, 03:01 PM   #310
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Would that make Hernandez the Scarlet Witch? "Daddy, no more Borg."
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2008, 05:19 PM   #311
Warp Coil
Rear Admiral

Despite the brief cover descriptions, I am still looking forward to the trilogy. I also feel like there has to be BIG stuff happening in these novels to make them worth while - more than just typical Borg stuff. I am going to try to reserve judgement until the novels are out.
"I managed to find Uno and Checkers, and also parts of Battleship and most of the pieces of Candy Land, which I figure, I can mix together to create a fabulous new game, CandyShipBattleLand. War never tasted so good." - Lorelai Gilmore
Warp Coil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2008, 05:35 PM   #312
Christopher
Writer

Warp Coil wrote: View Post
I also feel like there has to be BIG stuff happening in these novels to make them worth while - more than just typical Borg stuff.
Destiny is big. Really, really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to Millennium, but that's just peanuts to Destiny.

(With apologies to Douglas Adams.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2008, 07:39 PM   #313
David Mack
Writer

View David Mack's Twitter Profile

^ Well, maybe it's not that big....

Join me on Facebook & Twitter
David Mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2008, 10:17 PM   #314
Captain W Riker
Lieutenant

Well, you could always tells us about it and we can judge how big it is for you.
Captain W Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11 2008, 11:26 PM   #315
Frontier
Vice Admiral

View Frontier's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Frontier

Well, I'll say after reading/seeing this...

http://trekmovie.com/2008/06/11/libr...stiny-trilogy/

I have to say: "WTF?" to Destiny.

That said, I'll read them. I want to know if the snap-judgment of "WTF?" is correct or not. I hope it's not. I just wish some juicy tid-bits could come out to make us all say, "Oooooohh" and calm down. Cause you have to admit, from the descriptions, it SOUNDS bad. It SOUNDS like Berman and Braga took over Trek Lit. TPTB over at Pocket need to let loose some details and/or tranquilizers to help us all chill.

Frontier is offline   Reply With Quote