Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old April 14 2008, 02:44 PM   #121
Philo
Commodore

Re: Star Ship Polaris

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
There are quite a few colors in the starfield but the stars are small and motion-blurred in these pics - I don't think we're anywhere near set on just how space will appear in this thing. I don't think we'll see any dayglo CG nebulae, though. I like space empty and dark, like...you know, like outer space.
Excellent! Good to hear. Yeah, I realize this is quite early in the process, I just wanted to put in my twenty-five cents, as FalTorPan so aptly put it.

As for the rollbar, it does look quite good from the rear three-quarters view but that seems to be it's only really good angle that I've seen so far. It doesn't look bad from any other angles (and in fact, your latest iteration is the best so far) but it doesn't really add anything either. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything to suggest.

Also wanted to mention I love the most recent detailing on the engine pods. Very nice!
Philo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2008, 02:54 PM   #122
Shatna
Grand Lord Admiral

FrontLine wrote: View Post
FREEZE. Dont go anywhere. Put your hand up in the air and dont move. We've been looking for you for quite a while.
Keep lookin', Sarge. I am swift, I am the wind.
Old April 14 2008, 08:23 PM   #123
Jimmy_C
Fleet Captain

Looking good. I like the visual style. I don't like the physics that much, though. What powers the ship and its landers? Most space on real rockets seems to be devoted to fuel. If the ship is constantly accelerating, that would take a lot of stored energy, right? And the landers seem kinda small to me to have enough potential energy to land and fly back from the surface of the Earth to whatever orbit the ship is on (and how to orbits work for a craft that always accellerates itself?) I like the radiators, though. Of course, a totally realistic portrayal would probably look like a cross between the International Space Station, Cassini, and the Discovery. I have no imagination! LOL

Last edited by Jimmy_C; April 14 2008 at 09:14 PM.
Jimmy_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14 2008, 11:32 PM   #124
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I'm going to try this with a couple of different structures instead of the ring/rollbar and would appreciate feedback. They're just going to be simple shapes, no detailing or finished texturing.

First, the ship without the ring:

It looks real good, but there are a number of angles, especially when it's not filling the frame, where it's hard to read as unique.

Here's the first possible variation:

Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2008, 02:06 AM   #125
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

The fins look okay as they are, but I wonder what they might look like if...

* they curled inward, almost like partial segments of the original rollbar, and/or
* they reached forward instead of aftward
Old April 15 2008, 02:36 AM   #126
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Those are both good possibilities. I did try the curved-inward and decided to post this one; I may work further on that.

Here's a simpler ring. I've not liked this in the past, but the way the shapes of the engines and the built-up rear are now it may actually be the best fit:

Old April 15 2008, 02:53 AM   #127
chancellorjake
Captain

I always liked the roll bar addition, but the ring looks incredible. It could be a very useful addition if properly fitted out.
chancellorjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2008, 02:53 AM   #128
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
Those are both good possibilities. I did try the curved-inward and decided to post this one; I may work further on that.

Here's a simpler ring. I've not liked this in the past, but the way the shapes of the engines and the built-up rear are now it may actually be the best fit:

I like this ring a lot!

My only concern -- with this ring, the original rollbar ring, and the fins -- is that they might cast shadows that mask the geometry of the ship, unless the ship is lit in a "Star Trek style" (lots of fill light, or TMP-style self-illumination).

I don't have a problem with the shadows, but others might.
Old April 15 2008, 02:53 AM   #129
ThomastheCat
Captain

View ThomastheCat's Twitter Profile

I think the simple ring fits the best... and, oh yeah, great job on the design and model in general.
Old April 15 2008, 03:20 AM   #130
TheLoneRedshirt
Commodore

I like the ring but, honestly, I still like the rollbar best.
Old April 15 2008, 03:38 AM   #131
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yeah, shadows are always potentially a problem - you have to figure out how to light each model, and it's always at least a little different from others.

Thanks for the kind words about the design and modeling, Thomas. The ship was designed by aridas sofia; I've been modeling and detailing it.

There is something classic about the ring, and I expect that there are very few angles where it wouldn't pop.
Old April 15 2008, 04:07 AM   #132
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

Jimmy_C wrote: View Post
Looking good. I like the visual style. I don't like the physics that much, though. What powers the ship and its landers?
The ship would have a small reactor (fusion or perhaps m/am) powering something like Casimir cavities amidships (that create anti-gravitational negative energy) and micro-massive singularity containers (fore and aft) that are hypergravity sources. As I mentioned before, the forward singularity causes the fabric of space ahead of Polaris to contract, while the aft singularity causes the space behind the ship to expand. Polaris would ride a wave inside a warp bubble of flat space. The ship would not be moving within this warp bubble, but rather be "carried along" as the region of warped space moves. The scenario is something like a manufactured wormhole, with the throat being kept open by the ship's antigravity "rings." Instead of a warp bubble, or a wormhole, I call it a "warp tether," intentionally evoking the nautical sense of "warping" as a verb describing a ship's use of a rope to tug itself towards its destination.

As for the lander, my thinking is that since the ship is relatively small (too small for exotic antigravity technology), and needs to be durable and dependable for multiple landings, a simple nuclear rocket might be the best, most powerful "tried and true" technology. Whether there would be room in that lander for an advanced NERVA or some other type of nuclear motor, I haven't worked out. Obviously, if there's not enough room, either the design will be modified, or there will be an assumption that the tech has advanced to the point that it is possible.

Most space on real rockets seems to be devoted to fuel. If the ship is constantly accelerating, that would take a lot of stored energy, right? And the landers seem kinda small to me to have enough potential energy to land and fly back from the surface of the Earth to whatever orbit the ship is on (and how to orbits work for a craft that always accelerates itself?)
The one slice of pure bolognium in this scheme is my idea that one gee acceleration applied over time can charge artificial gravity generators for an equal amount of time via "stored momentum". Something about the relationship between time, gravity and momentum allows this, but in reality, its just the need for artificial gravity in situations like the orbit you mentioned that drives my appetite for the bolognium.

I think I can say that both Dennis and I would like to depict a technology that is not nearly as magical as that depicted in Star Trek, but is advanced enough to permit space opera with some respect for science. So, "maybe" technologies like negative energy and "warp tethers" can share the stage with an old stalwart like the nuclear rocket, and a pure fantasy concept like my gravity bank (which I'd get rid of if I could think of anything better).
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2008, 04:18 AM   #133
FrontLine
Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to FrontLine

Shatna wrote: View Post
FrontLine wrote: View Post
FREEZE. Dont go anywhere. Put your hand up in the air and dont move. We've been looking for you for quite a while.
Keep lookin', Sarge. I am swift, I am the wind.
Well I guess as long as you dont claim to be a leaf on the wind it will turn out all right

As for the additions, bring back the roll bar. Those two other choices make the ship look unbalanced to me.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"

"Im happier than a tornado in a trailer park" - Tow Mater - Cars
FrontLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2008, 10:48 AM   #134
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Perhaps a combination of the ring and the fins.

I'd also lean towards a slightly smaller 'exhaust' on the engines. The huge blue glow makes the ship feel a bit small(and yes, I know it IS small compared to the Enterprise or a Star Destroyer, but it should still feel somewhat large), and it is also a bit plain. Maybe even make the current nozzle into a housing for a cluster of smaller engines?

My 'productivity' computer is currently in pieces on the kitchen floor, thus why I haven't been able to contribute lately, but (hopefully) soon she'll be back up and running and I can finish up the rear end mods I started modeling a few weeks ago.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15 2008, 02:47 PM   #135
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I favor a fusion reactor over an M/AM for the onboard systems as I'd expect it would be less exotic (more "tried and true" technology). Probably for the landers as well.