Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old September 14 2011, 02:52 AM   #571
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Ship Polaris

Vektor wrote: View Post
And now back to the 3D model...

Hey Vektor. How many landing legs does the lander have?
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2011, 03:07 AM   #572
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

They're probably folded against the side of the body, since they don't seem apparent on the bottom.

I'd guess 3 or 4, cause those are kinda classic looks.
Old September 14 2011, 04:01 AM   #573
Vektor
Rear Admiral

It has four landing legs surrounding a central hub as shown in some of the earlier design sketches. I just haven't gotten around to adding them to the paintover or the 3D model.

No progress at all over the last few days, I'm afraid. I've had a bunch of other stuff going on that has kept me away from both my computer and my digital tablet. I have class tomorrow night so don't expect anything new until Thursday at the earliest.
Vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2011, 04:34 AM   #574
sojourner
Admiral

We really need to start a Vektor trust fund so he can quit his day job and make pretty images for us full time.
Old September 14 2011, 01:32 PM   #575
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

sojourner wrote: View Post
We really need to start a Vektor trust fund so he can quit his day job and make pretty images for us full time.
This.
Old September 14 2011, 03:26 PM   #576
Vektor
Rear Admiral

You guys aren't waiting for me to argue with you, are you?
Old September 14 2011, 04:36 PM   #577
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

Our people will be in touch.
Old October 6 2011, 07:41 PM   #578
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Okay, I'm putting out a call for creative assistance. I've run into a late-stage design problem on Polaris that I need a solution for and I haven't been able to come up with one on my own that I'm completely satisfied with.

It occurred to me within the last couple of weeks that I never allowed for any docking ports on Polaris. I do have a set of EVA pod bays on either side of the main fuselage just forward of the lander modules, but those were never intended to be docking ports per se. They wouldn't be ideal locations for them anyway because of the weapons pylons and main engines sticking out so far on both sides. A space station might have extended docking arms they could link up with but another ship wouldn't necessarily. At the very least, Polaris should be able to dock directly with another ship of the same class.

Ironically, the best locations for the docking ports are probably right where the point defense turrets are located at the tips of the weapons pylons. I'm actually giving serious consideration to the idea of moving the turrets somewhere else and reworking the CANE guns to make room for a connecting passageway. There are equally good reasons for the turrets to remain where they are, however, so I'd like to find some other alternatives.

It should be noted that neither the point defense turrets nor the docking bays are actually required for the script, but they still need to make logical sense.

What I'm hoping for is that all you clever and creative artists and designers might be able to help me out and throw some ideas my way. As I said, I already have a few of my own, but none of them have really jumped off the page and declared, "I am the perfect solution!" It may be that there is no perfect solution, but I figure it can't hurt to open this one up to the community at-large just to see what brilliance might appear.

Don't confine your ideas to conventional concepts, feel free to think outside the box. The docking bays don't necessarily have to be located along the sides of the ship, they could be almost anywhere as long as it makes logical sense and doesn't conflict with some other part of the ship, such as the moveable drive sails. Go crazy and see what you can come up with.

And thanks in advance for whatever help you can provide.
Old October 6 2011, 07:57 PM   #579
Santaman
Rear Admiral

http://www.baka-rangers.net/images/polaris.jpg

^^ I have a possible location, the ship could dock nose first and there are no engines or the like in the way.

I have no drawing/CGI talent whatsoever so I can't show you a good looking docking port design.
Old October 6 2011, 08:14 PM   #580
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

how about an inflatable-tentacle-walkway-tube that could be hidden behind a hatch somewhere until needed

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Wintertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 08:22 PM   #581
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

Do you have an internal laid out? That'll help with the docking location.

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 08:26 PM   #582
Albertese
Commodore

What are the "docking bays" for? Would a tunnel to move people around be enough, or are we talking about a larger passage for transfer of cargo or bulk supplies? Or are we talking about an actual bay, where something can fly into the ship? Like accepting a small craft from some origin other than the Polaris?

I have some ideas. I'll whip something up this evening after work and post it if I have time.

--Alex
Old October 6 2011, 08:32 PM   #583
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

No artist here, but it seems to me reasonable that small docking ports would be located on the same central dome structure that provides both the docks for the landing boats and the hatchways through which equipment and personal worksuits move in and out of the ship.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 08:45 PM   #584
Psion
Commodore

View Psion's Twitter Profile

Similar to Santaman's suggestion, how about a pair of swivel arms -- reminiscent of a jetliner passenger tunnel -- that is mounted near the nose and tucked in the gap between the fuselage and the sail until needed? Then it swivels out and possibly telescopes to attach to another ship/station.
Old October 6 2011, 08:56 PM   #585
sojourner
Admiral

I forget, does Polaris have artificial gravity? or is it under gravity only when accelerating? If the former, then nose to nose or any docking where the ship orientations are not the same, would be awkward.