Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old August 21 2011, 01:32 AM   #541
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Star Ship Polaris

I like the new windows a lot, both the placement and the indentation. The shape, too.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21 2011, 02:16 AM   #542
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Just for giggles and grins, howzabout another side-by-side with the Enterprise?
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2011, 12:03 AM   #543
MauriceNavidad
Vice Admiral

View MauriceNavidad's Twitter Profile

junxon wrote: View Post
would the word 'polaris' near the front/top area make more sense if it was rotated 90 degrees clockwise?
Because it would otherwise be upside-down if the thing ever landed on it's tail, as proposed?

Last edited by MauriceNavidad; August 23 2011 at 09:51 PM.
MauriceNavidad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2011, 12:11 AM   #544
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Good point.
Vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2011, 01:31 AM   #545
sojourner
Admiral

I don't follow? If you take the current text you're reading and turn it clock-wise 90degrees, then when you turn your monitor 90degrees counter clock-wise (to simulate the ship landing on it's tail), the text will be horizontal again. Now, the nose art on Vektor's latest posting is at an angle, but not enough to result in it being upside down???
Old August 23 2011, 09:32 PM   #546
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

clockwise.

so it'd be roughly the same way as the decks. subtle emphasis and all that.

seemed to make more sense to me.

could be wrong.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Wintertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24 2011, 07:21 PM   #547
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I like the current orientation and layout of the ship's name.
Old August 24 2011, 08:49 PM   #548
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Yeah, the current orientation probably works best for the majority of the VFX shots. It'd really only be sideways on the ground, where it doesn't serve much of a practical purpose anyways. If you can't find your ship because of a sideways name, you don't deserve to be in space.
Old August 24 2011, 10:50 PM   #549
Vektor
Rear Admiral

I think the point junxon was getting at, rightly so, is that the name will appear partially upside down when the ship is landed. Right now the text runs at an angle of around 30 degrees off the fuselage centerline, so the solution would be to rotate it clockwise by double that. Basically mirror the angle so it slopes downward from left to right and appears at least partially right-side-up whether it's cruising through space or standing on its tail. Of course, the name on the opposite side would need to slope upward from left to right for the same reasons.

I'll make the change on the next iteration so everyone can see what it looks like.
Old August 25 2011, 12:39 AM   #550
Wintertainment
Fleet Captain

yeah! thats probably what i meant.

'rotate it a bit' is my usual advice for any given situation.

Hello to Jason Isaacs!
Wintertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 04:23 PM   #551
USS Jack Riley
Captain

I know Vektor is going to kill me on this one, but why wouldn't a ship that changes its direction as Polaris does have markings that do the same? Maybe it isn't really "paint" in the way we think of it. Just some food for thought. YMMV.

"Question: How many Imagineers does it take to change a light bulb?
Imagineer's Answer: Does it have to have a light bulb?"
USS Jack Riley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 07:04 PM   #552
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Howzabout another "Polaris" along the bottom edge?
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2011, 09:38 PM   #553
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Realistically, the whole concept of "right-side-up" is meaningless in outer space. A long-established sci-fi convention is to relate it to the orientation of a vessel's internal gravity, if it has gravity, in order to satisfy the expectations of an audience who's terrestrially evolved brains want to put things in a proper and consistent orientation, even when there is no objectively defined up or down.

But what do you do with a ship like Polaris whose internal gravity is parallel to the direction of travel rather than perpendicular? For the crew of Polaris, up and down are effectively the same thing as front and back. That means what would normally be considered top and bottom as well as left and right are purely arbitrary notions from the perspective of the people on board. It's been decided that "right-side-up" for Polaris is the way I've been showing it in all these renderings and sketches, but that really isn't meaningful in any way other than how an external observer, i.e. the camera, chooses to view it.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the entire concept of right-side-up in space was left at least somewhat ambiguous in this production. I like it when the camera is not locked-off in the horizontal plane or otherwise forced to pretend that up-and-down is a universal constant. I'm not talking about flipping and rolling the camera all over the place, I'm talking about something as simple as a slow roll in an otherwise fairly static shot, just enough to suggest the camera is really out there in three-dimensional space and the action is not all confined to two-dimensions.

As far as the markings on the ship are concerned, I think my main concern would be that they shouldn't appear obviously upside-down in any of the shots where the camera lingers long enough to get a clear look at them. That brings us back to the default orientation shown in all these renderings and illustrations. For everything we're likely to do in this production, the name and registry as shown would probably work fine, though I do think it would be helpful to put the opposite slope on the name just because I know that, from the perspective of a person standing on a planet's surface looking up at the ship while landed, the name as currently shown would appear to be rotated past vertical and partially upside-down. That sort of thing just kind of bugs me.

Another alternative I still haven't ruled out--though Dennis might have--is to eliminate the sloped text altogether and go back to having it aligned with the fuselage, probably using block letters instead of script and probably just above the orange stripe instead of superimposed on it.

However it's done, all of that will probably be textured, not modeled, so it's not something that really has to be locked-down at this stage.
Old August 26 2011, 03:19 AM   #554
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I like the very WW II "nose-art" look of the name as it is now. That it's oriented on the fuselage pretty much as it would be on a propeller-driven bomber of the era enhances that resemblance.
Old August 26 2011, 12:43 PM   #555
Christian123

Hi all,
very Interesting!
just keep posting and sharing guys...