RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,702
Members: 24,833
Currently online: 430
Newest member: PlainSimplGarak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old July 4 2011, 04:10 AM   #436
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty
Re: Star Ship Polaris

Vektor wrote: View Post
I have another idea I'm going to try, hopefully when I get the time later today, that actually goes back to certain details from some of my earlier design sketches. I think it will make more sense functionally and probably tie in better with both internal and external means of loading and unloading cargo.
Since she's not designed for hauling cargo as her main mission, perhaps that ought to be a bit of an afterthought. Like a crane that slides out of the cieling of one of the bays or something. No need to cut through parts of the ship that could be used for sciency and enginey stuff, right?
Old July 4 2011, 04:55 AM   #437
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Does the means by which the artificial gravity is generated necessarily extend beyond the fuselage? Other than the inertial component, that is, and I was under the impression that the most significant aspect of the gravity generation was something other than inertia. Perhaps the saucer could be internally segmented radially anyway.
I'm sure you could rationalize just about anything, but it makes the most sense to me that the cargo bays would be oriented the same as the decks in the main fuselage, if for no other reason than to keep everything level under real gravity when the ship happens to be on the ground.

As I said, I have an alternative in mind that I think will make a lot more functional sense. I'll try to get it posted soon. My plans for the 4th of July weekend kind of fell through so I guess I have the time.
Vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2011, 02:49 PM   #438
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Sorry to hear about your plans.

Yeah, one can rationalize anything after the fact - there's Star Trek in a nutshell.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 4 2011, 03:11 PM   #439
Ryan Thomas Riddle
Rear Admiral

View Ryan Thomas Riddle's Twitter Profile

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
Vektor wrote: View Post
I have another idea I'm going to try, hopefully when I get the time later today, that actually goes back to certain details from some of my earlier design sketches. I think it will make more sense functionally and probably tie in better with both internal and external means of loading and unloading cargo.
Since she's not designed for hauling cargo as her main mission, perhaps that ought to be a bit of an afterthought. Like a crane that slides out of the cieling of one of the bays or something. No need to cut through parts of the ship that could be used for sciency and enginey stuff, right?
I actually like this idea. One of the things in science-fiction design is to have every little thing worked out, which isn't a bad thing.

And it's not that I don't like the cargo bays or the doors, but, using a submarine model, cargo could be shoved wherever there is space.

For example, on submarine, pantry items, such as canned goods and boxed cereal, are stowed in little nooks in the floor.

However, since this was once a science vessel, it might make sense that there are cargo bays and doors for special equipment that might have been needed for surveys, etc.

Oh, I really love the way the registry is on the ship. I like that the number is bigger than the name, just like on U.S. Navy ship.
Old August 2 2011, 07:32 PM   #440
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Almost there...

A note about the cargo bays: The intent here is that the bay doors are external rather than internal and work a little like the side door on a mini-van, sliding open length-wise away from the saucer's central axis. I reduced the size of the doors to make them less prominent in keeping with the fact that this is--or was--an exploration vessel that happens to have cargo space, not a dedicated cargo ship.

The actual cargo bays are probably about two decks high, with maybe one more deck above and another below, accessible by cargo lifts, for "overstock." Remember, the decks are perpendicular to the ship's longitudinal axis. The bays are designed to be loaded or off-loaded in orbit, though there are probably provisions for doing so on the ground on those rare occasions when the ship does land. Properly equipped port facilities would have cargo gantries or cranes to access them. Short of that, there could be an internal lift system running all the way back through the tail fins, or possibly a hoist system that can be rigged up inside the bay.

Also shown here is a lot more detailing on the main engines and attached "ring fins." Honestly, I'm just making a lot of this up as I go, but some of the implied functionality includes heat radiators and atmospheric control surfaces.

Assuming none of this changes, I anticipate one more round of detailing, then I go back to 3ds Max to complete the 3D model and deliver it to Dennis.
Old August 2 2011, 07:47 PM   #441
CorporalCaptain
Admiral

The increase in detailing is stunning.

Is the dome on the nose going to glow, as it does some of the early artwork?
Old August 2 2011, 07:53 PM   #442
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Please tell me that you're not going to tear this down and start from scratch?

It's gorgeous.
Old August 2 2011, 09:33 PM   #443
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

That really is a beauty!
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 01:40 PM   #444
Albertese
Commodore

Beautiful! One nit to pick regarding the cargo doors: mini-van doors slide back on tracks built into the outer wall of the vehicle, but this design has a "trench" of sorts where said tracks should be if I'm understanding your description correctly. Are said tracks part of the last round of detailing? Alternately, the doors could just be hinged and swing open like ... well, like doors. The way it's shown here it looks like they are really hinged and they swing open away from the central axis, rather than slide like a mini-van door. Just curious what you had in mind for this...

--Alex
Old August 3 2011, 02:12 PM   #445
Santaman
Rear Admiral

Very nice ship.
Old August 3 2011, 02:29 PM   #446
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Better and better; I can't wait to get it flying.

Tallguy wrote: View Post

It's gorgeous.
It is...and please, we just finished principal photography on the movie; I'd have a nervous breakdown if Vektor started over now.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3 2011, 04:42 PM   #447
Vektor
Rear Admiral

CorporalCaptain wrote: View Post
Is the dome on the nose going to glow, as it does some of the early artwork?
The fore and aft domes will retain their glow, I just haven't included it in the paint-over yet.

Tallguy wrote: View Post
I'm not going to tear this down and start from scratch.

Albertese wrote: View Post
One nit to pick regarding the cargo doors: mini-van doors slide back on tracks built into the outer wall of the vehicle, but this design has a "trench" of sorts where said tracks should be if I'm understanding your description correctly. Are said tracks part of the last round of detailing? Alternately, the doors could just be hinged and swing open like ... well, like doors. The way it's shown here it looks like they are really hinged and they swing open away from the central axis, rather than slide like a mini-van door. Just curious what you had in mind for this...
I was wondering if anyone would ask that question. Perhaps the mini-van door analogy was a poor one. Imagine something more like the glide rails used for cabinet drawers or the keyboard shelf on your computer desk. In the closed position, I imagine there are also latches that grab the door and pull it tight against the frame for an air-tight seal.

I did consider doing a hinged door and I even drew up a version of it, but it just didn't work for me for a variety of reasons.

Dennis wrote: View Post
It is...and please, we just finished principal photography on the movie; I'd have a nervous breakdown if Vektor started over now.
Don't worry, as I said to Tallguy, there will be no starting over on this one. These sketches are all paint-overs of the existing 3D model with lots of added detail but virtually no significant structural changes. In fact, the main reason I switched to doing paint-overs was to refine those details without having to rebuild whole sections of the 3D model over and over again as I have previously done with the Grandeur, for example, at the cost of ridiculous amounts of time and effort.

And yes, I know that's a lesson I should have learned a long time ago. Old dogs and all that.
Old August 3 2011, 10:55 PM   #448
IcecreamLtDan
Captain

I'll be in my bunk!!
IcecreamLtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6 2011, 07:04 PM   #449
Vektor
Rear Admiral

What do you think, too much orange stripeyness?

Old August 6 2011, 07:39 PM   #450
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Especially considering the big use of orange in the paint-job, I think the original purple 'plasma' hues on the domes would be brilliant.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote