Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old April 3 2008, 05:49 AM   #106
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Ship Polaris

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
And here are some of aridas refinements:

This remains my favorite version of the design thus far. It looks like something that might appear in a Buster Crabbe Flash Gordon serial.
Old April 3 2008, 02:12 PM   #107
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Actually, if we were making a "Flash Gordon" serial I'd make the fins a little bigger, add a lightning bolt emblem on the side and go with it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6 2008, 09:28 AM   #108
Jimmy_C
Fleet Captain

Looks good. I have a few questions, though. What are in the "wings" if all of the habitation is located in the central structure? Fuel? Supplies? Also, how do those "landing boats" get back to the ship (they look like just capsules to me)? Finally, would it make sense to reverse the orientation of decks 14-25 to maximize space usage (their ceilings are bigger than their floors, while the opposite it true of decks 1-12)?
Old April 6 2008, 10:01 AM   #109
aridas sofia
Rear Admiral

The wings would contain inorganic stores, the landers, and the business part of the FTL drive. The rings forge the warp, and the wings accelerate it. When the warp is in place, the wings are uninhabitable.

The landers have legs that fold out from the "heat shield".

http://home.comcast.net/~aridas/lander1.jpg

As for the lower decks, you are right about the inefficiencies. But the layout is governed by the way the ship creates gravity. It accelerates in real space at one gee, and the acceleration creates an artificial gravity pushing against the direction of motion. If you reversed the decks, the people would be walking on the ceiling.
aridas sofia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10 2008, 02:17 AM   #110
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

The modeling's not nearly done, but I've been doing some test animations and thought I'd post a few frames:

Old April 10 2008, 06:15 AM   #111
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

WOAH!!

Awsome job there
Old April 11 2008, 02:50 AM   #112
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Old April 11 2008, 03:00 AM   #113
Shatna
Grand Lord Admiral

Well aren't you a talented young man.
Old April 12 2008, 07:03 PM   #114
Philo
Commodore

More like talented old codger but I agree. I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more responses. Those are some beautifully cinematic renders, Dennis. I wonder if you'd think about using a more vibrant and colourful starfield more akin to TOS. I'm really quite tired of these ubiquitous grey blobs you see everywhere nowadays. It would certainly suit your more scientifically grounded retro style better, as well as help to distinguish it from all the other contemporary riffraff.
Philo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2008, 07:13 PM   #115
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

I find myself wanting to like this design more than I actually do. I guess I became overly fixated on the design that looked like it flew out of the Flash Gordon serials of the 1930s.

I really don't like the wraparound roll bar. The design wouldn't look complete without something more than what it would consist of if the rollbar were to be removed, but I can't put a finger on what might better complete the design (in my never-so-humble opinion, anyway).

Obviously the design needs to appeal only to Starship Polaris and aridas, so my opinions and a quarter are worth at most twenty-five cents.

Last edited by FalTorPan; April 12 2008 at 08:49 PM.
FalTorPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12 2008, 08:28 PM   #116
Mr. Fergy
Fleet Captain

View Mr. Fergy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to Mr. Fergy

That is one, fine, ship!
Old April 13 2008, 04:05 AM   #117
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

"Flash Gordon" is good, I like "Flash Gordon," but we're not doing "Flash Gordon."

I don't know what the alternative to the rollbar would be, either. I've thought of towers of some kind, possibly growing out of some kind of ridge or fin structure on the dorsal and ventral, but I can't come up with anything I really like in that regard. Of course, I tried that cowling and didn't really like that either.

It'll be a very long time before every detail of this has to be immutably fixed, so maybe something will occur.

There are quite a few colors in the starfield but the stars are small and motion-blurred in these pics - I don't think we're anywhere near set on just how space will appear in this thing. I don't think we'll see any dayglo CG nebulae, though. I like space empty and dark, like...you know, like outer space.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; April 13 2008 at 04:55 AM.
Old April 13 2008, 04:05 PM   #118
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Obviously the design decisions are yours and aridas' to make, so anyone else's opinion -- even mine -- are secondary, if important at all.

I like the "core" of the current design -- basically everything except the wraparound rollbar, which looks as if it were slapped on rather than an integral design component.

All in all, I like how the design is progressing. Keep up the good work!

EDIT: The rollbar doesn't look slapped on from the aft ventral views. The sloped, connecting neck helps to make the rollbar look integrated into the design, as does how the front edge of the rollbar meets the ventral disc at the same radius as the radial fins just outboard of the rollbar/disc intersection. In the views that I've seen, the rollbar only seems slapped on from the front. The rollbar has that snubbed point that looks as if it's floating above the cylindrical hull for no apparent reason. Maybe the rollbar and main body would look more integrated from the front if the interconnecting strut were extended forward so that it's visible from the front. Just a thought.
Old April 13 2008, 11:47 PM   #119
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I don't dispute that the rollbar has its problems; several posters on different boards have brought it up. It's my only significant addition to the basic design, and I don't think aridas is in love with it either. I just haven't come up with a better solution so far to what you noted as the "incompleteness" of the core - and I don't think it's a matter of incompleteness at all, just that the ship needs something to build it up vertically so that it isn't diminished from so many angles over than above/below.

Vertical towers or fins are the only other idea I can think of. There was a variant by another poster using a broken ring which I kind of liked, except that to maintain the visual balance of the design the ring pretty much had to rise from the centerline of the engines and I couldn't make design sense of that to my satisfaction.
Old April 14 2008, 04:11 AM   #120
FrontLine
Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to FrontLine

I gotta say that those frames look good. The ship screams that its fast, nimble, and not huge, which I believe was the look you were going for. Now that I think about it, I think that my uber cool idea about the ventral side would make the ship look unbalanced and possibly ungainly. Shows what I know. I think its gonna work out quite well in the end.

Shatna wrote: View Post
Well aren't you a talented young man.
FREEZE. Dont go anywhere. Put your hand up in the air and dont move. We've been looking for you for quite a while.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"

"Im happier than a tornado in a trailer park" - Tow Mater - Cars
FrontLine is offline   Reply With Quote