MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old March 14 2008, 07:01 AM   #61
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: Star Ship Polaris

The ship is a little over three hundred feet long. I'm determined not to go the "Star Wars" route - a lot of nernies - because I prefer the pre-2001 look of ships like the Enterprise or other science fiction of the 1950s and 1960s ("Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea," "Forbidden Planet" and so forth). So really the only effective way to suggest scale is with windows. This is problematic too because of the ship's internal layout.

Eventually it'll probably be up to a few windows and scaling of the hull plates. The look of "Colonial One" on the new Battlestar Galactica may be a useful reference as well.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14 2008, 07:52 AM   #62
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Really liking where she is heading. I couldn't quite make my ideas work, perhaps the ring elements could be used for a variant ship from the same fleet or something like that.

Is it just me, or is there a little bit of lens distortion in that latest shot? It might be in some of the others but the perspective feels slightly off and it is nagging at me.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2008, 04:00 AM   #63
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Wow. Haven't looked in here in a while and I missed this! Terrific work, guys. Two of my favorite artists doing really really cool stuff!
Old March 18 2008, 04:15 AM   #64
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

She's into the shop for an overhaul - the horseshoe cowling is gone, hopefully to be replaced with something more dynamic. I was rather attached to it, but it brought the scale down too much, I think - there were too many automotive associations with it, including the visual equation of the rear sublight engines with tail-lights.
Old March 18 2008, 05:06 AM   #65
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

Perhaps the cowling could be retained on the bottom side. It works so well with the shapes it would be a shame to scrap it entirely, but I do agree with the scaling problem. That wouldn't be nearly as serious on the bottom side though, and you did say you wanted to differentiate them. A few greebles (perhaps some antennae and 'sensors', weapons or escape craft tucked into the cowling?) could easily fix the scale problem if it were the less-seen side of the ship where it wouldn't be as immediately apparent.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Old March 19 2008, 02:36 AM   #66
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Old March 19 2008, 02:46 AM   #67
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile

The ship looks damn good from the rear. I feel like I can see it moving.

Are those (ray)guns between the engines?
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2008, 03:08 AM   #68
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

And hopefully someday soon we will.

Yeah, given that the heavy weapons are retrofit onto the ship we thought maybe they'd be "bolted on" to some kind of exo-structure that's not part of the original design.

I was leaning toward missiles, but aridas has about convinced me that, you know, if you can control gravity (which is pretty much de rigeur for building starships like this) you can accelerate sub-atomic particles at people real damn fast.
Old March 19 2008, 03:20 AM   #69
TheLoneRedshirt
Commodore

I absolutely love how your ship design has evolved. It certainly has that 1950's - 60's Sci-Fi look, yet with a somewhat more modern feel to it. The colors are great - tasteful but not garish.

Terrific work!
Old March 19 2008, 08:36 PM   #70
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Starship Polaris wrote: View Post
And hopefully someday soon we will.

Yeah, given that the heavy weapons are retrofit onto the ship we thought maybe they'd be "bolted on" to some kind of exo-structure that's not part of the original design.

I was leaning toward missiles, but aridas has about convinced me that, you know, if you can control gravity (which is pretty much de rigeur for building starships like this) you can accelerate sub-atomic particles at people real damn fast.
The same would go for any kind of projectile though. Who says you can only have one or the other? Energy weapons might work better against 'shields' or for disrupting their systems, where projectiles or explosives might work better for other purposes.
Old March 19 2008, 11:30 PM   #71
FrontLine
Nekkid Hedonistic Ethical Slut

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to FrontLine

I love this current iteration. Fantastic job.

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy shit, what a ride!"

"Im happier than a tornado in a trailer park" - Tow Mater - Cars
FrontLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2008, 12:12 AM   #72
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Thanks.

We don't have shields or forcefields. Best idea is not to get hit by weapons fire.

The danger of hitting or being hit by anything in hyperspace is about nil. During travel within spacetime, we probably would have energy beams of some kind to sweep the path ahead with the emphasis on imparting a very low-energy "push" to small bits of matter at an extreme distance.
Old March 20 2008, 01:06 AM   #73
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Whew Weee im liking the progress on this
Old March 20 2008, 02:14 AM   #74
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Going to do something different with the weapons and the "spine," so they're missing from this one:

The first version of the back ring looked a bit too squashed and twisted.
Old March 20 2008, 06:38 AM   #75
HRHTheKING
Fleet Captain

Great looking ship