Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old October 21 2009, 03:19 PM   #196
ZStar
Ensign

Re: Star Ship Polaris

I have really enjoyed watching the creative thought process evolve on this project. I also respect the talents of all involved and I hope you won’t mind a relative rookie tossing in his two credits.

On the aft ring, have you considered replacing the ring arcs with panels that are hinged to either the engine pods or the main disk? In that configuration they could open and close in synch with the sails and their function would be clearly related to the stardrive.

A lot of thought has gone into the design logic of Polaris but I have a question about the sails. Maybe I missed or have forgotten something in previous posts, but why do the sails need to move? On an aircraft you retract the landing gear and flaps in order to reduce aerodynamic drag. In space there is no drag. If the ship can’t engage the stardrive until the sails are open then why not just mount them in the open position and eliminate the added mass and complexity of moving parts? Now if the “physics” of the stardrive require variable position sails during different phases of transition or at different speeds that is a whole different situation.

Good luck and I look forward to following the progress.
ZStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2009, 04:14 PM   #197
Vektor
Rear Admiral

Venardhi wrote: View Post
I agree, but the interplay with the engines and the central sphere still looks unrefined next to the rest of the ship.
"Unrefined" is probably a good word. I still haven't worked out exactly how the engine housings connect to the main body but I'm confident I'll make it work.

ZStar wrote: View Post
On the aft ring, have you considered replacing the ring arcs with panels that are hinged to either the engine pods or the main disk? In that configuration they could open and close in synch with the sails and their function would be clearly related to the stardrive.
I gave some thought to something similar way back before the sails were added but I think that now it would just be overkill. The ring has a specific purpose in the current design related to inertial control and artificial gravity and is not intended to have anything to do with the stardrive.

Maybe I missed or have forgotten something in previous posts, but why do the sails need to move? On an aircraft you retract the landing gear and flaps in order to reduce aerodynamic drag. In space there is no drag. If the ship can’t engage the stardrive until the sails are open then why not just mount them in the open position and eliminate the added mass and complexity of moving parts? Now if the “physics” of the stardrive require variable position sails during different phases of transition or at different speeds that is a whole different situation.
I was wondering if someone would ask that question. Basically, the reason the sails are movable is because it will make for a cool effect on-screen. If you want an in-universe explanation, I'd either go with the stardrive physics scenario or possibly something specific to Polaris in its original role as a scientific research vessel. Maybe they could get better sensor readings with the sails folded back out of the way or something like that.

One thing we're not going to do--and I think Dennis will back me up on this one--is bog things down with a lot of tech-manual type details the way the later incarnations of Star Trek often did. It's important to have at least a general idea of what things are and how they work, but not to the point where the show needs accredited science advisors or the writer(s) need to double check that an interesting plot point they've come up with doesn't conflict with the intricate inner workings of some device or system on the ship. Starship Polaris, I expect, is going to be a mostly technobabble-free zone.
Old October 21 2009, 04:21 PM   #198
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Vektor wrote: View Post
One thing we're not going to do--and I think Dennis will back me up on this one--is bog things down with a lot of tech-manual type details the way the later incarnations of Star Trek often did. It's important to have at least a general idea of what things are and how they work, but not to the point where the show needs accredited science advisors or the writer(s) need to double check that an interesting plot point they've come up with doesn't conflict with the intricate inner workings of some device or system on the ship. Starship Polaris, I expect, is going to be a mostly technobabble-free zone.
Absolutely Right(TM).

The level of on-screen tech dialogue in "The Naked Time" is as much as interests me, ever.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2009, 05:22 PM   #199
Patrickivan
Fleet Captain

Patrickivan wrote: View Post
Coming in a little late here- but I like this ship. Apparently so did the Jedi on the new Star Wars CGI series- they had a very similar design.
I keep hearing about this ship in Clone Wars but I've only watched a couple of episodes and haven't seen it. Are there any pictures or references online anywhere? I'm just curious to see how close the similarity really is.
I'm not too familiar with the series- it was the first episode I saw (last week I think). I've tried to find a pic the ship, but to no avail yet.

40 Years and ticking. Damn, that's too old fashioned.
40 years and still processing!
Patrickivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21 2009, 07:21 PM   #200
ZStar
Ensign

Thanks for hearing me out and responding to my questions. I fully agree with your position on technobabble. I never cared for stories that involved technobabble problems that were solved in the last five minutes by technobabble solutions.
ZStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22 2009, 03:55 AM   #201
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Is this the SW ship in question?

Old October 22 2009, 04:05 AM   #202
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

That's a Droid Tri-fighter from Episode III. Who knows if it's in Clone Wars as well.
Old October 22 2009, 04:51 AM   #203
James Wright
Commodore

I thought that design looked familar, I don't suppose any of you know about an aircraft designed in the late 1950's the Avro WS606A?
Well anyway, just wanted to say that the design shown for the Polaris is cool!

James
Old December 16 2009, 09:44 PM   #204
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

One of the interesting things about this ship is that it defies the normal conventions for logical orientation of a ship in space. Technically, “up” on this ship is toward the nose as that is the way the decks are oriented, but otherwise there really is no up or down other than the way we choose to portray it.
Interesting moment on the set last week - we were discussing what posture the actors should assume on the Command Deck when they were seen to be coming out of hyperspace. I finally told them, act like you've been shoved suddenly down toward the surface of your desk. At which point I remembered something and said, "Do you know that you're traveling that way?" and pointed at the ceiling. They were a bit surprised.
Old December 16 2009, 10:03 PM   #205
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

Dennis;3675619At which point I remembered something and said, "Do you know that you're traveling [I wrote:
that[/I] way?" and pointed at the ceiling. They were a bit surprised.
Did you also tell them the bridge was rotated 36 degrees?

Nice attention to detail, though. Looking forward (which is up) to seeing it.
Old December 16 2009, 10:07 PM   #206
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Tallguy wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
At which point I remembered something and said, "Do you know that you're traveling that way?" and pointed at the ceiling. They were a bit surprised.

Nice attention to detail, though. Looking forward (which is up) to seeing it.
LOL.

Technically I guess no one should ever have a hair out of place; the TOS ship should never have shuddered and sparks should never fly out of consoles. Okay, sparks don't fly out of our consoles. That's pyro, and our insurance wouldn't like it at all.
Old December 16 2009, 10:08 PM   #207
Professor Moriarty
Vice Admiral

View Professor Moriarty's Twitter Profile

LOL! That's hilarious Dennis...

Tallguy wrote: View Post
Dennis;3675619At which point I remembered something and said, "Do you know that you're traveling [I wrote:
that[/I] way?" and pointed at the ceiling. They were a bit surprised.
That's right... stirrrrr the pot...
Old December 17 2009, 12:23 AM   #208
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

As Flynt productions would say, This Ain't Star Trek.
Old December 17 2009, 12:35 AM   #209
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

It ain't the Enterprise. Dennis can point his bridge any damn way he wants.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18 2009, 03:20 AM   #210
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

Wow. Gotta say, gents, seeing the thought and verve you've put into this collaboration gives me all new respect for your respective talents and intellects. Most impressive.