Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 4 2008, 08:17 AM   #31
foravalon
Fleet Captain

Re: E-Book Status

KRAD, hang on to those ideas, the great thing about the future is that it's always moving forward! (barring the occasional interference by religion, politics, and capitalism anyway)

My point is, the market may not be quite ready for the format yet, but it's only a matter of time, and I doubt it will be very long at all. Soon enough we'll have self-lit flexible screen OLED readers in full color and highly efficient, needing very little energy to run and charging quickly. They'll be slim, portable, and (after not too long) affordable. The readers will be embraced, first by doctors and nurses, government officials, then by students and commuters alike for their ease and versatility, and soon enough by everyone. They won't phase books out, those are too entwined with our cultural identity, but it will throw the printing industry for a bit of a loop and hopefully save at least a few trees in the process. Soon enough we'll be laughing about how clunky and awkward those PADDs on Star Trek looked in the 80's and 90's. E-books will rise again.
foravalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 09:06 AM   #32
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Trent Roman wrote: View Post
I know; bookstores in my area are not the most timely of institutions. It'll show up eventually, I'm sure.
Special order it. they might order extra for the shelves at the same time. The batch may have arrived and sold out. The shop won't necessarily order more until future demand is known. Many shops don't order in backstock of old titles of anything any more.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 09:09 AM   #33
HIj'Qa
Fleet Captain

had a long well thought out post but vB ate it

unhappiness
HIj'Qa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 09:12 AM   #34
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

KRAD wrote: View Post
Ian, I gotta ask on what you're basing this guess......
A fleeting acquaintance with the ways of literature marketing?

Or will Pocket be abandoning all eBooks?

Will they not try putting anything else into CoE's slot? If that under-performs ST, will they not have another go at ST eBooks as ST XI nears, or after it premieres, or when the market is more ready for eBooks as a concept??
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 11:07 AM   #35
Tino
Captain

JD wrote: View Post
Now I feel bad about always putting off trying out the Ebooks.
Same here. But I always bought the dead-tree-format.

KRAD, is there a chance that C.o.E. is going to be continued in dead-tree-form like with all those compilations? I would love to see the 100-page-stories again, they had great character development and a very nice episode-like-feel.
Tino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 11:12 AM   #36
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

I'm not a fan of the eBook format, but I'm saddened that, for the moment, this is no longer a publishing option for Trek authors or readers to enjoy.
Old March 4 2008, 12:53 PM   #37
Csalem
Commodore

I'm saddened by this news. I had always planned that when I got a real job and fiscally responsible to own a credit card I would start purchasing the e-books. I suppose it's a case of you don't know what you are missing till it's gone.

If it is a hiatus then I suppose there are always possibilities. Speaking in Dr. Who terms, I hope it is eighteen months rather than sixteen years!
Old March 4 2008, 01:46 PM   #38
KRAD
Keith R.A. DeCandido

View KRAD's Twitter Profile

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
KRAD wrote: View Post
Ian, I gotta ask on what you're basing this guess......
A fleeting acquaintance with the ways of literature marketing?

Or will Pocket be abandoning all eBooks?

Will they not try putting anything else into CoE's slot? If that under-performs ST, will they not have another go at ST eBooks as ST XI nears, or after it premieres, or when the market is more ready for eBooks as a concept??
You're making assumptions based on nothing like reality. There is no "slot" as such. They're not abandoning eBooks altogether, as there will still be eBook editions of the print books, but the original eBook line is going on a hiatus. It has precisely zero to do with the Abrams movie -- the decision was made last May -- as book production is on a completely different schedule from movie production, and decisions about the line as a whole have very little to do with the release of a particular movie, except the direct tie-ins.

Tino wrote: View Post
KRAD, is there a chance that C.o.E. is going to be continued in dead-tree-form like with all those compilations? I would love to see the 100-page-stories again, they had great character development and a very nice episode-like-feel.
Hell if I know. It'll be several years before we run out of eBooks to reprint, and therefore impossible to predict what even might happen then.

"Even when you turn your back, you're facing something."
KRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 03:33 PM   #39
Richard White
Writer

View Richard White's Twitter Profile

First off, I want to thank KRAD for giving me the opportunity to play in the SCE/CoE sandbox. I had a great time working on my What's Past story.

I'm a little disappointed that KRAD and I thought we were going to be able to green light my second story just when things came to a halt. I was really looking forward to the story (and picking on Tev a bit). I'm hanging onto the outline though. There's always next (whenever's) anthology I might be able to slip it in.

I also am hoping one of these days to pitch that SI/CoE crossover I've been dreaming up for a while. What can I say, I'm a hopeless optimist. *grin*
S.C.E. #63 - "Echoes of Coventry"
Gauntlet Dark Legacy "Paths of Evil"

Nightwolfgraphics.com
The Wolf's Den
Richard White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 03:53 PM   #40
Christopher
Writer

Richard White wrote: View Post
First off, I want to thank KRAD for giving me the opportunity to play in the SCE/CoE sandbox. I had a great time working on my What's Past story.

I'm a little disappointed that KRAD and I thought we were going to be able to green light my second story just when things came to a halt. I was really looking forward to the story (and picking on Tev a bit). I'm hanging onto the outline though. There's always next (whenever's) anthology I might be able to slip it in.
With just a few substitutions, this is exactly what I would say. Except my story wouldn't have been picking on Tev -- it would've been Tev in love. I'm so hoping I get the chance to do that someday.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 05:03 PM   #41
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384

I am quite saddened by this news, the SCE/CoE series was one of the finest in the franchise. While I'm still reading my way up through the SCE series, I have read all of the CoE releases and found most of them to be excellent, especially The Light, The Art of the Comeback and Signs from Heaven. I hope to see more from the da Vinci crew someday.

On a plus note, I am glad that the book titles are still being released in eBook form, as this is the only way I read them.
Old March 4 2008, 05:04 PM   #42
Geoff
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Geoff Send a message via Yahoo to Geoff

Perhaps this has been addressed before and I missed it, but will any of the SCE/COE pals be making an appearance (even if only a brief cameo) in the Destiny books?

I'll also be curious to discover the theme of the next short story anthology, and whether or not a tale of the da Vinci crew might fit in.

Blog me, baby!
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 05:09 PM   #43
JD
Admiral

A Tellerite in love? That's a scary thought.
Old March 4 2008, 05:17 PM   #44
Christopher
Writer

Geoff wrote: View Post
Perhaps this has been addressed before and I missed it, but will any of the SCE/COE pals be making an appearance (even if only a brief cameo) in the Destiny books?
Quite possibly... or maybe even before then.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4 2008, 08:51 PM   #45
Alslayer
Lieutenant

I really loved reading Star Trek SCE. The series had great characters, great situations, and was just a joy to read. I have read the series for years and it really felt like another Star Trek TV series. I want to thank everyone for the great stories. I hope some day I will get to enjoy SCE again.
Alslayer is offline   Reply With Quote