Horse 1, Shatner 0
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Drexler TV Alert
By: T'Bonz on Jul 26

Retro Review: His Way
By: Michelle on Jul 26

MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old March 18 2008, 05:54 PM   #136
Baerbel Haddrell
Commodore

Re: E-Book Status

I enjoy the SCE/COE series very much and regret it that it comes to an end. I am sure, it is because of the original ebook format and not because of any lack of quality. Yes, of course, I enjoyed some stories more than others but in general I think it is a great series. To me, it is far from over because I am even behind reading the paperback reprints. There is still a lot I can look forward to.

I never said it aloud here because it wasn`t and still isn`t a popular opinion to voice but I am not surprised that ebooks are not very popular and I already wondered when I got my first SCE book how long Star Trek in ebook format will last. Many reasons have already been mentioned in this thread. Me personally, my biggest problem is that I am not very technology-literate. I wouldn`t even be here without my husband`s help. The format confusions make matters worse and on top of that, I don`t trust the durability of computer files of all kinds. I have floppies I can`t read any more, either because they have degraded or got damaged or because my husband has retired the necessary hardware. And even if he would dig it up again from the loft, who knows if it would still work, including old programs you might need? Every few years there is some catastrophic event that means we need a new computer and various old programs, folders and texts are gone in spite we back up a lot. I heard it more than once that ebooks get lost for good in such events and if I break an ebook reader who knows if I would get the texts back especially if I don`t want to pay for them all over again? My oldest paper books I have are about 100 years old, books I inherited from my grandparents. I am afraid, a lot of ebooks won`t be available any more for download after a few years.

I also don`t think it is accurate to think that Star Trek fans, SF fans, are more open towards modern technology. Not everyone loves SF because of futuristic technology. I never liked hardcore SF much.

I have been criticised for using the word “real”, therefore I say physical book in order to describe the difference between ebooks and the ones on my book shelf. Ebooks are something abstract to me. I prefer the feeling of a physical book in my hands. I had to prop up the big Harry Potter books on a pillow in order to be comfortable but still, also with such big books I enjoy snuggling in bed with a good book.

I don`t like the ebook format but I will definitely continue buying the paperback reprints.
Old March 18 2008, 06:13 PM   #137
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Geoff wrote: View Post
For me, the biggest problem is not the format; it's the notion that you never truly own a copy of an eBook. Due to the nightmare of "Digital Rights Management," what you actually own is just a license to read the book. And if anything happens to your digital library, you are entirely at the mercy of the publisher as to whether or not you will be granted a new license or not.

Sure, we're told that you can always download it again from the publisher, but what if the publisher goes out of business, or simply chooses not to support the format any longer? What if you've changed your email address, and now you can't verify your identity in order to prove you already paid for it?
That would be a REAL problem for me. It's bad enough that I've had to pay for CDs to replace vinyl or for DVDs to replace VHS, but they're mine and no one can take them away until they come out with yet another format and do away with the one I have.

If I had a hand-held reader and I bought a book, I want it to be mine, to reread once or to read a hundred times. I don't want to RENT a book.

I tend to own books long-term. I still have my best books (and every single Star Trek one I bought) dating back to the early 1970s.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2008, 06:25 PM   #138
ronny
Fleet Captain

View ronny's Twitter Profile

JWolf wrote: View Post
To be honest, I do wish the paper reprints of SCE/CoE never happened. That way everyone would have to ge the eBooks and maybe we'd still have more coming out.
that's not what would have happened. at least for me anyway.

first of all, the idea of SCE just didn't excite me at all when i found out about it. a bunch of guys standing around in engineering solving problems by speaking in TECH. well obviously i was wrong there as that's not what the series is about but i didn't know that.

and i wasn't going to find out because the series was coming out on e-book. now i'm not an e-book hater. i haven't bought any ST e-books but i have read stories, plays and various things on my palm. i just prefer dead tree over e-book. it's nothing i'm going to argue about. it's like coke/pepsi. i have a preference but i don't freak out if someone likes it the other way.

so you have a series i'm not interested in, in a format i'm not in to. and i've got a big backlog of ST books to read anyway. i wasn't going to be getting e-books any time soon.

then i saw the first couple of SCE reprints at a used book store and bought them because people kept saying how great the series was. i wasn't amazed by the first book and was kind of annoyed it ended on a surprise cliff hanger. i complained on the boards somewhere and KRAD said yeah, the e-books weren't designed to be published in dead tree form and because of word count, etc that's just where we ended the first book. they weren't planning on ending each book on a cliff hanger to force you get the next one. so i read the next one and it was better. and i just kept buying them. at the new book store now. and i haven't gotten around to getting e-books because i always seem to be a book behind. i've got Creative Couplings on my shelf and will read it soon, probably before the next one comes out but that will satisfy my SCE fix until the next book comes out.

and the TOS and TNG e-book series? i know the TOS e-book series spans the time frame from first episode to last movie and Constellations all takes place during the series but I just felt like I had had my fix of TOS short stories at the moment. And although there have been a lot of great TNG books, as a whole I just prefer TOS and DS9 over TNG so i haven't been planning on getting that series in e-book form. i'm sure i'll be getting them when they are reprinted in dead tree form. now if there had been a DS9 e-book series i would have bought that, even though we already had Prophecy and Change. because it was DS9, the format would have mattered less.

all of that is just a long winded way of saying the reason i didn't buy any e-books is because of a combination my preference of format, my perception, wrong i admit, of what the series was about and my reading habits.

hmmm, i started off by making a point that when someone says not printing the collections would increase e-book sales, i don't believe that. well maybe sales would increase a little but i'm guessing not enough to matter. i guess i wondered a bit.

My Star Trek reading progress.
ronny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2008, 06:53 PM   #139
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

JWolf wrote: View Post
Also, another issue not yet brought up is the reprints take a slot in the schedule.
This seems to have slipped through. The schedule was limited to one mass market paperback per month, but we've been told, and by now have had plenty of chance to observe, that trades and hardbacks, being seperate formats, don't count towards the one-a-month policy. They're extra. Nor are there monthly trades, that a reprint would take up a slot that would otherwise have been used by an original work. If there's a scheduling conflict, it's easy to just push back a reprint to the next available month. Indeed, S.C.E. reprints, because they presumably take less work to prepare than original trades, should make excellant slot-fillers if there's ever a problem with getting one of the original trades to market.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old March 18 2008, 09:27 PM   #140
Amy Sisson
Writer

Dayton Ward wrote: View Post
Screw all this e-Book nonsense. This is a topic worthy of further exploration.
Clearly I should not have posted when I'd been drinking wine....

Rather than go into details, I'll just stick to the part about not liking chocolate chip cookies. Even if it means KRAD is gonna send his groupies to stone the heretic!

http://www.amysisson.com
Amy Sisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2008, 09:54 PM   #141
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Why should the Captain Sulu audios have had novelizations?
They didn't have to.

But when SCE came out, it was promoted as an eBook-only series. Publicity stated it would "never be available in hardcopy", IIRC. As had the publicity for Sulu audios. So the similarity (to me) was worth mentioning.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18 2008, 11:23 PM   #142
JD
Admiral

If I already said this I apologize, but I just want to explain why I never got into the ebooks. For me it was mostly an issue of not being familiar with Ebooks, and I didn't control my finances until recently I would have had to convince my mom to buy them for me, and I doubt very much that she would have since she doesn't know anything about eBooks. Now as for me, it was pretty much the same thing, I don't have a reader, so I would have to read them on my computer, and I know nothing about which format to use, or how to go about saving them or whatever. Then, when I found out that the series was already coming out in PB for I decided to just stick to them at least at first. Now, I'm not completely against eBooks, in fact I was actually planning on buying the eBooks once I got caught up, but I guess now that won't happen.
Old March 19 2008, 02:08 AM   #143
DaveR
Commander

View DaveR's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DaveR Send a message via Yahoo to DaveR

KRAD wrote: View Post
bennyrex wrote: View Post
I'm kind of sad to hear that buying the collections won't help the series get past its hiatus.
I never said that, and if anyone else said that, they were wrong. Buying the collections absolutely will help. If they sell well, it's ammunition that I can bring the higher-ups to say, "See? There's an audience for this!"
I'm trying to do my part!

I'm buying the collections as e-books right now because they're convenient for me (they weren't before). Once I catch up, which should be before the next collection comes out, or at most just that one), I'll start catching up on the e-books themselves.

Thanks for the update, KRAD, even if it is tentative.

Dave
DaveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2008, 02:21 AM   #144
DaveR
Commander

View DaveR's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to DaveR Send a message via Yahoo to DaveR

Amy Sisson wrote: View Post
Apologies if I came across as snarky. This tends to be one of those topics that gets people going, me included. People try to convince me why I should like chocolate chip cookies too, and that doesn't work either.

How can you not like chocolate chip cookies?

Mana from the gods, they are...

Dave
DaveR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2008, 02:51 AM   #145
Christopher
Writer

bennyrex wrote: View Post
Christopher... wasn't it the DVD sales that got Serenity off the ground as a movie?
Yes, but they didn't bring it back as a weekly series. That's the point. Sales of a reissue in a different medium may help convince executives to take a chance on reviving the property in a new format, but by themselves they don't justify continuation of the original format -- not if there isn't enough support for the work in that original format. As I've said, sales of CoE reprints might lead to new CoE fiction in paperback form, but I don't think it's likely to return in monthly eBook form until or unless we get to a point where larger numbers of people show they're willing to buy eBooks. And that might take a few more years to sort out the technological and licensing obstacles.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2008, 05:11 AM   #146
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Yes, but they didn't bring it back as a weekly series. That's the point. Sales of a reissue in a different medium may help convince executives to take a chance on reviving the property in a new format, but by themselves they don't justify continuation of the original format -- not if there isn't enough support for the work in that original format.
Firefly had the slight problem of Fox having the exclusive rights to the show for a decade or so. Even if the DVD sales were enough for another network like Sci-Fi to bring it back, they couldn't.

As I've said, sales of CoE reprints might lead to new CoE fiction in paperback form, but I don't think it's likely to return in monthly eBook form until or unless we get to a point where larger numbers of people show they're willing to buy eBooks. And that might take a few more years to sort out the technological and licensing obstacles.
Baen seems to have done well enough sorting them out. Unfortunately, the other publishers haven't yet got a clue.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2008, 01:44 PM   #147
Christopher
Writer

^^Well, the publishers can't sort out the technological obstacles. That's a hardware issue -- getting digital-paper readers to the point that they're inexpensive, widely available, able to support multiple formats, etc. Also I think a good approach would be to design them with two "leaves" that fold open into facing pages, to more closely approximate the look and feel of reading a paper book. That might win over some of the traditionalists.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19 2008, 04:07 PM   #148
ATimson
Rear Admiral

^^Well, the publishers can't sort out the technological obstacles. That's a hardware issue -- getting digital-paper readers to the point that they're inexpensive, widely available, able to support multiple formats, etc.
I was actually referring to the licensing obstacles, which a publisher can sort out.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2008, 04:07 AM   #149
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

ronny wrote: View Post
first of all, the idea of SCE just didn't excite me at all when i found out about it. a bunch of guys standing around in engineering solving problems by speaking in TECH. well obviously i was wrong there as that's not what the series is about but i didn't know that.
*tee hee*

I thought the same thing. KRAD set me right.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20 2008, 10:13 PM   #150
JWolf
Commodore

ATimson wrote: View Post
^^Well, the publishers can't sort out the technological obstacles. That's a hardware issue -- getting digital-paper readers to the point that they're inexpensive, widely available, able to support multiple formats, etc.
I was actually referring to the licensing obstacles, which a publisher can sort out.
Actually, it's a DRM issue which the publisher can sort out. Baen has been doing well with no DRM. What I yhink a lot of people are having trouble with is that if they buy the eBooks to read on the computer that the DRM will get in the way so that when they do someday buy a portable reading device, that all the eBook they've purchased will be useless thanks to the DRM and incompatible format. The DRM will prevent converting to a format that the new device can handle. The DRM which is supposed to stop piracy also stops sales too.