RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,797
Posts: 5,471,353
Members: 25,037
Currently online: 525
Newest member: Skelch

TrekToday headlines

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Wheaton Buys Wesley Crusher Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

People’s Choice Award Nominations
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14

Quinto: Not Internally Homophobic
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 21 2009, 07:08 PM   #121
jefferiestubes8
Commodore
 
Location: New York City
Re: Trek TV remastered

ManaByte wrote: View Post
In regards to the tests, this is from 2007:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Star-Trek/7762
As I've already pointed out on this thread a link to TNG remastering which had that information.
My question was
Do you have a url link or magazine title and issue# or month/year to your rumor source?
about your
Originally Posted by ManaByte
grabbed an episode of TNG and remastered it in HD (without re-doing the effects) and showed it to the brass at Paramount to try to sell them on the project. The rumor is that it's already underway.
If you do not have a source to even a rumor then it is not a rumor.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21 2009, 09:06 PM   #122
SoM
Commander
 
SoM's Avatar
 
Re: DS9 should get Remastered

noknowes wrote: View Post
SoM wrote: View Post
noknowes wrote: View Post
But people spend vast amounts of time here writing when they could be working mastering a few seconds worth of footage due to distributed working.
How? CBS would hardly be likely to send out film rushes even in the bizarre circumstance that everyone had telecines attached to their computer. And beyond that, the grading would have to be done by professionals watching the whole process and making manual adjustments as they go.

It's not a matter of raw number-crunching. It's a matter of hardware, and of manual processes.
INTERPOLATION SOFTWARE would negate the need for film rushes.

Using this would allow high definition and sharpness.

it takes 300 hours per 1 hour of remaster for a A 3 GHZ DUE CORE home pc to remaster in HD.
Upscaling, in other words. They could do that as-is - hell, if you watch a DVD on any recent LCD or plasma screen, interpolation is necessary to display anything except a small, windowboxed, picture - but it would be of an inherently lower quality than rescanning the film. And not by a small amount.
SoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2009, 12:09 AM   #123
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain
 
Captain Fine's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, ON
View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine
Re: DS9 should get Remastered

Yeah the original film needs to be rescanned for sure. It's a pain that it has to be reedited as well, but it doesn't sound like it should be too hard (based on the TNG Remaster thread) so I think the real expensive thing to do will be the special effects.
Captain Fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2009, 12:12 AM   #124
noknowes
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: DS9 should get Remastered

SoM wrote: View Post
noknowes wrote: View Post
SoM wrote: View Post

How? CBS would hardly be likely to send out film rushes even in the bizarre circumstance that everyone had telecines attached to their computer. And beyond that, the grading would have to be done by professionals watching the whole process and making manual adjustments as they go.

It's not a matter of raw number-crunching. It's a matter of hardware, and of manual processes.
INTERPOLATION SOFTWARE would negate the need for film rushes.

Using this would allow high definition and sharpness.

it takes 300 hours per 1 hour of remaster for a A 3 GHZ DUE CORE home pc to remaster in HD.
Upscaling, in other words. They could do that as-is - hell, if you watch a DVD on any recent LCD or plasma screen, interpolation is necessary to display anything except a small, windowboxed, picture - but it would be of an inherently lower quality than rescanning the film. And not by a small amount.
UPSCALING.

would fix it.the software would INTERPOLATE AND EXTRAPOLATE from existing footage....which would be frozen as a digital image.

upscaling software WOULD REPRODUCE HD quality without master tapes at all.
noknowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2009, 12:20 AM   #125
DiSiLLUSiON
Commodore
 
DiSiLLUSiON's Avatar
 
Location: The Netherlands
Re: DS9 should get Remastered

Do you really feel the need to shout like that? If you're afraid of being misunderstood, you could simply pay more attention to your grammar and spelling, you know.
DiSiLLUSiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2009, 12:27 AM   #126
timelord1010
Captain
 
timelord1010's Avatar
 
Location: Sector 001
Re: DS9 should get Remastered

I hope that if CBS does get around to remastering TNG and DS9 they do things different than what they did for TOS. How about instead of syndication they air it on the CBS network on a Saturday night so everyone will know where to find it. I had a hard time finding TOS-R on TV since they kept changing the air time. Also, they would have to speed up the airings since most people will lose patience with a season per year being remastered.
timelord1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2009, 12:44 AM   #127
Kestrel
Vice Admiral
 
Kestrel's Avatar
 
Location: East Tennessee
Re: DS9 should get Remastered

Nice idea, but I doubt it'd get even 1/10th the ratings to justify a primetime spot on a big network.
__________________
"If Romeo had just masturbated a couple of times a week he would have saved both those nice families a heap of trouble."
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2009, 02:22 AM   #128
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral
 
TheGodBen's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: DS9 should get Remastered

noknowes wrote: View Post
SoM wrote: View Post
Upscaling, in other words. They could do that as-is - hell, if you watch a DVD on any recent LCD or plasma screen, interpolation is necessary to display anything except a small, windowboxed, picture - but it would be of an inherently lower quality than rescanning the film. And not by a small amount.
UPSCALING.

would fix it.the software would INTERPOLATE AND EXTRAPOLATE from existing footage....which would be frozen as a digital image.

upscaling software WOULD REPRODUCE HD quality without master tapes at all.
I'm no genius, I just pretend to be one in the Voyager forum, but you seem to be missing the point. Software cannot interpolate and extrapolate data that is not there.

Lets say for the sake of argument that Avery Brooks has a faint wrinkle on his forehead, it's too faint to show up on the video image but it does show up on the original film negatives. Since the data for those pixels is not on the video image the upscaling software does not know that it is there and it will not create it. If they don't rescan the original film they cannot get all the detail; they cannot recreate the wrinkles on an actor's face, they cannot show the writing on background computer displays, they cannot show the finer details on the spaceship models... so much would be lost out.

Upscaling the image will make it look better than the original image but it will not be able to produce the same level of detail that a full remastering of the footage would achieve.
__________________
...so many different suns...
TheGodBen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2009, 03:41 AM   #129
timelord1010
Captain
 
timelord1010's Avatar
 
Location: Sector 001
Re: DS9 should get Remastered

Kestrel wrote: View Post
Nice idea, but I doubt it'd get even 1/10th the ratings to justify a primetime spot on a big network.
That's why I mentioned Saturday night, the usual dead spot of the networks schedule and CBS and the other networks seem to repeat shows that aired earlier in the week on Saturday nights.
As for ratings, who knows? If it's hyped and promoted properly it could get decent ratings. Like Chuckles said on Voyager: "Everything old is new again!".
timelord1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2009, 01:12 PM   #130
noknowes
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: DS9 should get Remastered

GodBen wrote: View Post
noknowes wrote: View Post
SoM wrote: View Post
Upscaling, in other words. They could do that as-is - hell, if you watch a DVD on any recent LCD or plasma screen, interpolation is necessary to display anything except a small, windowboxed, picture - but it would be of an inherently lower quality than rescanning the film. And not by a small amount.
UPSCALING.

would fix it.the software would INTERPOLATE AND EXTRAPOLATE from existing footage....which would be frozen as a digital image.

upscaling software WOULD REPRODUCE HD quality without master tapes at all.
I'm no genius, I just pretend to be one in the Voyager forum, but you seem to be missing the point. Software cannot interpolate and extrapolate data that is not there.

Lets say for the sake of argument that Avery Brooks has a faint wrinkle on his forehead, it's too faint to show up on the video image but it does show up on the original film negatives. Since the data for those pixels is not on the video image the upscaling software does not know that it is there and it will not create it. If they don't rescan the original film they cannot get all the detail; they cannot recreate the wrinkles on an actor's face, they cannot show the writing on background computer displays, they cannot show the finer details on the spaceship models... so much would be lost out.

Upscaling the image will make it look better than the original image but it will not be able to produce the same level of detail that a full remastering of the footage would achieve.
The background display details don/t exist ans is mostly gibberish to make it look good.it is mostly dos code in color.

You misunderstand.Why would I want to see wrinkles on Sisko's head?

it would add nothing to my enjoyment.

WE DON'T NEED THAT KIND OF UNSAVOURY DETAIL

NEXT YOU WILL WANT TO SEE HIS NOSE HAIRS.

or stubble on Kira's legs.

ugh.ugh.ugh.
noknowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22 2009, 01:49 PM   #131
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral
 
TheGodBen's Avatar
 
Location: Ireland
Re: DS9 should get Remastered

^ But that's the point of HD, you see far more detail than on SD. I don't need HD, I'm fine with letting my DVD player upscale my DVDs to display on my HDTV, but some people want to watch DS9 in HD and for those people upscaling the existing episodes will not be good enough.
__________________
...so many different suns...
TheGodBen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2009, 05:23 PM   #132
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain
 
Captain Fine's Avatar
 
Location: Toronto, ON
View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine
Re: DS9 should get Remastered

Remastering DS9 isn't just for us, it's for future generations that they might enjoy the awesomeness that is DS9. When everyone switches to HD and gets used to that level of quality, DS9 will look like shit next to it.
__________________
Formerly known as RegentWorf. But after seven years on this BBS, I went into pine farr and regenerated into Captain Fine.
Captain Fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23 2009, 05:40 PM   #133
jefferiestubes8
Commodore
 
Location: New York City
future generations and SD vs HD

Captain Fine wrote: View Post
Remastering DS9 isn't just for us, it's for future generations
I agree. My post on Will Star Trek live forever? brings this up.
A TV show getting remastered via an expensive process is solely a business decision based on R.O.I..
Standard definition has been adequate since 1928. It has improved but it does still work and moving from analog capture and storage to digital capture and storage of standard definition television has improved the image from the initial capture from 35mm film & editing systems output.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2009, 05:18 AM   #134
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: DS9 should get Remastered

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
Would you rag on CD players because they can't play gramophone records?
Actually yes, I would. Of course it won't be able to play a gramophone record. But what's the use of a CD player if it can't play back a musical piece that was originally recorded for replay on the gramophone? That doesn't make any damn sense. Every new technology should logially be downwardly compatible with older media forms.
Your CD player can play the same songs you listened to on grammaphone -- after its been remastered from the original recording.
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24 2009, 05:32 AM   #135
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: DS9 should get Remastered

Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
I can't speak for Oso Blanco, but personally I won't lose sleep over never being able to see Deep Space Nine in high definition. I'm happy with my DVDs. As for future means of releasing the show, I'm not really convinced that the only way to get the series to Blu-ray is by updating the effects. I'm all for remastering the picture and sound quality. But don't mess with the effects.
I absolutely agree. I won't be watching TOS with new effects and I won't be watching DS9 with new effects. If that means that I'll never see it in high definition, then that's the way it is.
Um... you do know that remastered TOS on blu-ray features the original FX from the 60s, right? You knew that, right?
Oso Blanco wrote: View Post
Yes, it would ruin it for me. When I'm watching a movie or a tv show, I want to see the original effects. Each movie/show is a product of its time, and it should be appreciated as such. I also won't be watching Casablanca in colour or any other attempt at "improving" old movies.
Funny you mention Casablanca. I just watched it on blu-ray, remastered in high-definition. This is the way it looked in theaters originally. Nothing was changed. If you haven't seen Casablanca on blu-ray, you really haven't seen it.

If you can, watch Casablanca on blu-ray. Then you'll finally get what remastering in HD is all about.
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike

Last edited by Hober Mallow; June 24 2009 at 06:10 AM.
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
remastered

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.