Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old March 7 2008, 01:59 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

James Cawley

James Cawley, the star and producer of online series Star Trek: New Voyages, has been credited with bringing fan films out of obscurity by securing the involvement of such actors as George Takei (Sulu) and Walter Koenig (Chekov) and original series writers D.C. Fontana and David Gerrold, as well as for the exceptional sets that he has shared with other fan projects. In addition to playing Kirk on New Voyages, Cawley has made guest appearances in several other productions, including a turn as Captain Mackenzie Calhoun in a Star Trek: Hidden Frontier episode.

Recently Cawley, who worked briefly behind the scenes on Star Trek: The Next Generation, filmed a small part in the upcoming Star Trek feature film. An Elvis impersonator who began producing New Voyages in 2003, Cawley took the time to talk with the Trek Nation at the Farpoint convention in Baltimore.

To read the full interviews, please click here.

Old March 7 2008, 03:27 AM   #2
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

Re: James Cawley

James Cawley nearly had me bawling here. For all the movies and spinoffs that Star Trek inspired they never had that same spark for me that made Star Trek.... Star Trek. It ripped my heart out when I realized that the point in time that I could see all new original stories with my favorite characters had long since passed. And then he started producing them and frankly life has gotten better and better since then for me as a Star Trek fan and it was in no small part thanks to him since I have no doubt that Paramount must have noticed the popularity of Cawley's Trek and that must have influenced the pro-Classic Trek dynamic at least a little. It's nice to see that a guy who gets it had given Abrams a stamp of approval. Makes me feel even better about the upcoming movie.
Old March 7 2008, 04:41 AM   #3
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

New Voyages is what finally convinced me that re-casting the original crew could actually work.

The ships, the sets, the characters, the "feel" is more important than who is reciting the lines. One thing I really like about his take on trek though is how authentic to the original TV show it is in terms of the sets and costumes and visual effects.

I am still pumped about the new movie, even though I know it won't be as "literal" an interpretation as New Voyages is.
Old March 7 2008, 06:09 PM   #4
dmcco01
Rear Admiral

It's so confusing that they're calling this Phase II. I wish they would've come up with something that hadn't already been used.
Old March 7 2008, 07:20 PM   #5
Outpost4
Vice Admiral

I wonder if Xon will be a character in Phase II?
Old March 7 2008, 08:52 PM   #6
Data Holmes
Admiral

dmcco01 wrote: View Post
It's so confusing that they're calling this Phase II. I wish they would've come up with something that hadn't already been used.

I do not understand this... Why are so many people claiming that the name change is confusing.
Old March 7 2008, 08:53 PM   #7
Lindley
Moderator with a Soul

Obscurity is a relative thing. I'm sure some people only started to take notice of fan films when some of the big names got involved.

From my point of view, Star Wars has been doing the fan film thing for a decade or more; and Hidden Frontier proved a similarly-styled Trek series was possible some years back. New Voyages has managed to take the concept to the next level in some respects.
Old March 18 2008, 06:23 AM   #8
TJinPgh
Captain

Well, I've said from the start that I've never been a fan of recasts. I won't lie and say that I wouldn't be a whole lot happier if somebody were writing things for the original cast.

The biggest compliment that I can give New Voyages/Phase II is that I respect the effort that they put into it, and the great lengths they go to to keep it as close to authentic as humanly possible. As recasts go, I think Abrams could learn a lot from these guys.

I doubt I'd pay to see a big screen version of it, but the last two stories and the involvement of some of the original actors put it a step above most things Trek these days (including the movie).

Having said that, I can't say as his comments about the new film has much meaning to me. It seems that his window of knowledge about the film is extremely limited and has no real frame of reference other than his feelings about Abrams personally.

I could be cynical and say that his brief appearance in the film is akin to Richard Hatch's involvement in BSG (read "sellout") but I won't, since I don't see that as being the case here.