Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Closed Thread

Old June 11 2009, 08:27 PM   #1051
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner
Re: Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Look upthread.

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
Old June 11 2009, 09:01 PM   #1052
Shaw
Commodore

The Smithsonian released a number of images that had not been seen before... one of the best shows an X-ray of the rear of the secondary hull (which includes a light bulb socket, using a modern energy saving bulb... which also generates less heat). Most of what is seen there was already visible in other photos through the hole behind the hangar bay door, but what was new (for me at least) was the way the underside of the fantail had been mounted on the model.

The model was always lit with conventional lights (including what were standard Christmas Tree lights for the 60s and 70s), and this posed an issue for anyone wanting to display the model for any length of time. The model was filmed in short runs and then turned off because the lights effected the model once they got hot. As I recall, 5 minutes was about the max the model could handle before warping occurred.

The original solution was to put weak lights in the model (1974 to 1991), but since the major restoration I believe a better lighting system was used in key areas (better as in brighter and not as hot).

But yeah, a single bulb supplied all the light for the rear of the secondary hull (other than the blinking light on the side). Clear rods were used to help direct the light to where it was needed. The same technique was used all over the model.
Old June 11 2009, 10:07 PM   #1053
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

After seeing the condition they received it in I will never say anything bad about ANY of the Smithsonian restorations.
Old June 12 2009, 02:57 AM   #1054
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Well, at least their hearts were in the right place.

And they did promise to start posting more pics of the ol' girl, so it's all good.
Old June 20 2009, 04:41 AM   #1055
doctorwho 03
Captain

I had a thought about the bridge the other day (and it does not involve the rotation issue). I was browsing through the old 'Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise' when I noticed the aft docking port and airlock on the bridge schematic. Right beside the docking port was a lavatory. This got me thinking; that docking port and toilet lines up almost perfectly with the 'turbolift nub' on the original Enterprise. Then I thought what if the nub was not part of the turbolifts at all, but rather it's where the bridge toilet was located. There must've been one, so that bridge personnel didn't have to go to another deck to find a head, right?

Is there any logic to this, or have I been hitting the Saurian Brandy a little hard today? Any thoughts?

Visit my Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/doctorwho03
Old June 20 2009, 04:43 AM   #1056
Birdog
Commander

doctorwho 03 wrote: View Post
I had a thought about the bridge the other day (and it does not involve the rotation issue). I was browsing through the old 'Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise' when I noticed the aft docking port and airlock on the bridge schematic. Right beside the docking port was a lavatory. This got me thinking; that docking port and toilet lines up almost perfectly with the 'turbolift nub' on the original Enterprise. Then I thought what if the nub was not part of the turbolifts at all, but rather it's where the bridge toilet was located. There must've been one, so that bridge personnel didn't have to go to another deck to find a head, right?

Is there any logic to this, or have I been hitting the Saurian Brandy a little hard today? Any thoughts?
I like that idea. How did they get to it?
Old June 20 2009, 05:58 AM   #1057
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

They crawled underneath Uhura's console on their backs.
Old June 20 2009, 06:16 AM   #1058
Birdog
Commander

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
They crawled underneath Uhura's console on their backs.
Kinda brings a whole new meaning to the term "Going to the head"
Old June 20 2009, 09:21 PM   #1059
doctorwho 03
Captain

According to the 'Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise', the portside turbolift would rotate in the shaft to access the docking port/head on the refit E. If the nub is indeed the toilet, I'm guessing the TOS turbolift would do the same thing.

Visit my Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/doctorwho03
Old June 24 2009, 02:23 AM   #1060
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

I ran with the idea that the nub was the subspace tranceiver array, but the head works, too. Maybe even better, if only because of that diagram (helps establish the design lineage).
Old June 24 2009, 02:33 AM   #1061
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
I ran with the idea that the nub was the subspace tranceiver array, but the head works, too. Maybe even better, if only because of that diagram (helps establish the design lineage).
It's a futuristic outhouse... because it's round.
Old June 24 2009, 02:49 AM   #1062
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Let's just hope the soundproofing and ventilation doesn't break down, if only for Uhura's sake.
Old June 24 2009, 05:27 AM   #1063
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

Uuuuh... you do know what those vents under the bridge consoles are for, right? (Emergency air fresheners).
Old June 25 2009, 03:53 AM   #1064
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Then (Insert favority deity here) help the bridge crew if that backs up and somebody just had an Arcturian burrito.
Old June 25 2009, 07:33 PM   #1065
CuttingEdge100
Commodore

Robert April,

Hahahahahaha!
Closed Thread